Any idea what this is?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryony

British Aussie Geek
Reaction score
Something I noticed the other day that I've never seen before or heard of.....

On all my nails the same part of my nail bed has lost it's pink colour & the lunula has 'disappeared'. The whole bottom part of my nail bed (about 1/3rd of the whole nail bed) is white - like the colour the lunula usually is, but this area is no longer just half moon shaped, it goes almost straight across the nail bed.

Just looks really odd, is this a pregnancy thing or soemthing else? No sign of trauma or infection, and it's odd that it's the same on all 10 nails. The rest of the nail bed is fine, same pink colour as normal.

Can anyone shed any light on this one for me please?

I've had my head in the books reading nail disease/disorders. A wonderful subject for the dinner table. :) I have not seen nothing of the sort. Although being prego as you know, it could be just a hormone thing. Besides this small thing, I bet your nails look fab from being pregant. Calling up your doc for something small like this might seem silly but I think its a good idea. CONGRATS on the Pregancy!

Do you have anything on your nails? gel, acrylic? polish? have you changed what you eat, like, lots and lots of milk, or maybe a lot of meat? (I ate nothing but M&Ms, Pepsi and french bread for an entire trimester when I was preggers)

I would ask my OB/GYN about it. It probably pregnancy related and not a nail disorder. Those cute little boogers will do a doosey on your body!

might you be anaemic???

just a thought!!!!!! nikki

Bryony said:
On all my nails the same part of my nail bed has lost it's pink colour & the lunula has 'disappeared'. The whole bottom part of my nail bed (about 1/3rd of the whole nail bed) is white - like the colour the lunula usually is, but this area is no longer just half moon shaped, it goes almost straight across the nail bed.
Can anyone shed any light on this one for me please?

Sounds like true leukonychia (similar to the white spots) where the nail plates cells leave the matrix and do not flatten out. True leukonychia is where the whole nail plate goes white, from the ephonychium to the free edge - yours may be on it's way... It is the least common of nail whitening conditions, usually caused by internal disorders and certain diseases. (hepatitis, heavy metal poisoning, or zinc deficiency) It can also occur when internal changes are present, such as menopause. So theoretically pregnancy may do it, but I would suggest a check up with your gp.

HTH
Envy

I was reading this thread and naturally started looking at my own nails and on 4 of them I have no lunula at all...I'm inclined to think it may be a pregnancy thing...although I could be wrong, which I have been known to be every once in a while, though it doesn't happen much :smack: :lol:

It is quite common not to have a visible lunula! It just means the eponychium is further forward and the lunula is covered. the key concern here is the nail whitining.. That's a sign of something else, if the lunula can't be seen and the nail bed still is pink underneath then no stress :)

HTH

The only other thing I can think of is if you are wearing enhancements .... is your product putting pressure on the zone 3 area and causing it to whiten?

For example: if you press on your free edge, you will see that the pressure causes the nail to turn white in a band across the stress area? Is this how it looks in zone 3 on your nails? If so and you are wearing enhancements, then you or your technician may have worked too wet in that area (a common thing to do) and the resulting shrinkage may be putting pressure there and causing this whitish appearance.

Also, your nails may be a bit thinner in zone 3 than they are normally due to your pregnancy. Hair and Nails do not always 'thrive' during pregnancy and often in fact become a bit depleted and thinned. If this is the case, then the two things together could definitely cause what you are seeing.

I just wanted to say that i did have this problem when i was pregnant. I found i found it better to take my enhancements off as my nails were really bad throughout, then got better after i had had the baby.

Plus i was aneamic which i think didn't help at all. I'm not saying you need to remove yours, that was best for me, but i think maybe mention it to your doctor as you may need a vitamin boost. Your baby will take all that it needs leaving you with less than you need.

Dear all, thanks for replies.

Have been growing my enhancements out, so only have them on the tips of a couple of nails that snapped, so don't think it's down to that.

Would be surprised if it's due to Anaemia as this hasn't shown up on any of the blood tests I've had so far, and it is something they check for during pregnancy.

It's definately not due to eponychium having grown up the nail, and I've not changed my diet or had any mad cravings yet.

Looks like Envy might have a good suggestion.

Anyway, have an appointment at the docs next Weds so will ask then and see if they come up with anything....

Thank you,

my god i hope im not pregnant ive only got a lunula on my thumbs. lol xxx;)

Latest posts

Back