Any possible danger from cheap gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendy malley

Reaction score
As to be expected the cheap gel polish from Hong Kong and China are expanding in colour and price choice on ebay. Regardless of how these will wear the cheap nss salons will no doubt be using these at prices impossible for those using the respected brands to compete with. So, what damage if any can these cheap gels do. We are well aware of mma and the problems this can cause if we remove it should we be aware of any potential problems from these gel polishes :eek: x

My guess is that from a scientific standpoint, we won't know unless these products are analyzed for chemical content.

From a 'copy cat' standpoint, I've had a few clients who were 'shellac'd' and it peeled off in a day or two. When they came to me, they realized they did NOT get Shellac.

I feel if we just keep doing our BEST, we will be OK, no matter that the sup par salon down the road is 'shellacin' for $5.00.

There was a chinese factory that offered gel polishes at least one year ago. The Chinese were also the first with LED gels as far as I am aware.

The fact is we don't know if these products are dangerous or not. Clearly they have chemists and from that standpoint there is no reason to assume they are any less competent than chemists in the US or Europe.

But the real problem is that Chinese companies are not as regulated we are in Europe or the US and they can also be driven to take short cuts that make endanger health - hence the baby milk and dangerous toy scandals these past years.

The person who imports the product is legally liable for it's safety and meeting the legal requirements of the EU Cosmetics Directive. If the products do turn out to be unsafe, the person importing could be liable for a major compensation claim. Arguably, anyone buying could also be seen as negligent and also sued.

The difference in the cost per service of cheapo and professional grade products is mere pence. Any person who decides to save this amount of money and endanger their clients, their reputation and risk ending up in court is no better than a drunk driver in my opinion.

/Bob

The difference in the cost per service of cheapo and professional grade products is mere pence. Any person who decides to save this amount of money and endanger their clients, their reputation and risk ending up in court is no better than a drunk driver in my opinion.

/Bob

Agree, and to save a few pennies...so not worth it! :)

no advice to add about what's in products etc. but i just had to comment on clients not getting what they are paying for... there is a training provider near me who are advertising training for 'trendy nail wraps 'minx''. well which one is it? trendy nail wraps or minx? so it's no wonder clients aren't getting what they are paying for when therapists are getting told the wrong thing when it comes to training, i guess we're all lucky that we know about this site so can be informed of what is involved with minx and trendy nail wraps but how many therapists aren't aware of this site and are trusting trainers like the above? if you can't trust your suppliers and trainers then who can you trust? :( they are supposed to be the experts after all.
x

There are idiots in every industry and fools who buy from them. As professionals rise above this - these clients aren't yours and are not worth worrying about.

People who try to fool clients either end with with the truly stupid (and cheap) or they fool for a while and then the client realizes and finds a professional supplier.

In the economic situation we have today, price is not the issue. What most people look for is value because they can't afford to buy wrong. As a business it's your job to differentiate what you offer so that it is clear to potential customers - that has always been the requirement to grow a strong company.

Latest posts

Back