Anyone heard of this- here we go again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolie69

Reaction score
Funny I actually saw this last night myself but if you noticed it didnt look as good as the Shellac and when you saw her applying it in places it looked very streaky

It looks nothing like Shellac!! Look at the bottle ! It's as plain as the nose on your face where it comes from. Already selling another version retail in the States to any consumer that wants it.

Long live "exclusive to pro" products.

Any consumer can get hold of a gel polish now. Doesn't mean they are all going to rush out and invest in it.

Last edited:
Before the unofficial forum police shoot me down, yes I know there are other threads on this subject so if its going to wind you up then stop reading from here....

I was mortified this morning to see that QVC's 'Today's Special Value' product is this: Red Carpet Manicure Gel Nail Set With LED Lamp

Red Carpet Manicure LED gel nail set. How on earth do they get away with this?? Its fine that they sell other brands such as OPI, Essie etc, I don't have an issue with that however encouraging Joe Public to apply gel polish themselves without the correct training is just absurd. I have shot off a very strongly worded email to them this morning and I suggest that other Geeks do the same.

Rant over, Happy Friday everyone!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of products out there that where originally in salons that are now available to the public such as tanning professional home kits but it doesn't stop people from using a pro salon! Ppl paint their own nails n still come to Salons!
Yes it's annoying but the majority of clients will buy these products find that they don't work aswell as pro n come bk to pro salons!!!
I wouldn't worry so much about it!!

Even Boots sell a kit now. x

Even Boots sell a kit now. x

Exactly! Most (not all!) ideas will end up in the retail stores. Clients that get good service and results will always be clients. Consumers that like to do their own nails will.....do their own. But many will convert into clients to get it done better!

Stop worrying. If you like your professional status make sure your results are far better than the average consumer can achieve and stick,to the pro only brands

Scissors were invented around 1500BC in Ancient Egypt but it hasn't stopped anyone going to get their hair cut has it :D

Today's Special Value on QVC designed to reach 10's if 1000's of people!
Retail Shellac I assume!

Red Carpet Manicure Gel Nail Set With LED Lamp

This has been available here in the United States over a year now. I have it, it's quite good. It is from the same company as Gelish as is considered to be a dupe of everything Gelish.

As others have said, don't worry about it. I have it. It's lovely. I can do my gel polish myself. But I'm still going to my nail tech this afternoon. Why? Because she does it better than I do!!

As someone else also said on another thread, nail polish, files, products have been around for years, but people still come to the professionals. You can tell badly applied shellac, so make sure you keep up with your education, I think everyone should do a refresher course regularly as it's easy to get into bad habits. Also make sure the nails done by you, on yourself and every client look perfect.

Also, these products probably aren't made for layering, nail art etc. I have recently found out that the salons by me mainly do block colours so I have booked onto the cnd nailstyle course, I train in shellac next week, try to think ahead. There is so much you can do and if it means you need to up your game...just do it :hug: xx

You can widely obtain 'Gel polishes/Shellac' legit or fake all over the internet. I have only had one client that has gone against my advice and purchased Shellac & lamp etc from an auction site, and that is because she is a cheapskate!! & probably will have bought fake stuff anyway!

My only concern is that these uneducated 'cheapskates' won't have the knowledge and education that we have all strived for and it will cement the idea firmly in their heads that anybody can do nails, and the selling techniques that QVC seem to promote is that salons are ripping clients off!!:irked:

I do wonder though if QVC have shot themselves in the foot! they have a number of nail polish brands and I am sure those companies are not best pleased!!:rolleyes:

For me personally, it makes me want to do L&P/Brisa more as this is something that will never be reproduced for the 'at home' market!!

The reason I posted the link from this morning is because I just didn't think they would retail such a product. I am fully aware of how products evolve onto the high street however you don't see them retailing acrylic kits etc, and why? because you need professional training for it. I agree with mini4mum's post.

Also, CND Shellac is widely available on Amazon now so not only can the public get their hands on the cheap versions, they can now get their hands on the real deal. Such a shame.

You can buy acrylic from boots n Sally's sells to the public!

Scissors were invented around 1500BC in Ancient Egypt but it hasn't stopped anyone going to get their hair cut has it :D

Very wise observation!!! :) laughing really hard now :)

The reason I posted the link from this morning is because I just didn't think they would retail such a product. I am fully aware of how products evolve onto the high street however you don't see them retailing acrylic kits etc, and why? because you need professional training for it. I agree with mini4mum's post.

Also, CND Shellac is widely available on Amazon now so not only can the public get their hands on the cheap versions, they can now get their hands on the real deal. Such a shame.

Actually, they have been retailing acrylic kits in pharmacies for years!! I first saw them every bit of 12-15 years ago in the USA and they still do. The salons are still full ladies and growing.

Exactly Geeg! I tried an acrylic kit from Boots when I was in my teens ( a VERY long time ago). Shocking results :p

Exactly Geeg! I tried an acrylic kit from Boots when I was in my teens ( a VERY long time ago). Shocking results :p

Don't tell anyone, but so did I :D

I Think mine came from good old Woolworths, along with my Tangee see-through-pink lipstick (the only one my mother would let me wear) my 'clearly pink' Cutex polish (the only one my mother would let me wear) and the Ponds Cold Cream !! lol Thank the lord for Mary Quant and her green and blue polish in the 60's (well away from mum by this time)!

It's not the retailing it that gets up my nose, it's the way it's done. They are selling us out. Making us look like idiots (sometimes, I don't need any help in that department ;)) and 1000's watch these shopping channels. I just don't like the selling technique - the salon is 'doing you' - why pay their prices for the same product! Times are hard & people are pushed for money, but clients know if they are getting their monies worth from us!

The lady that was selling said she had a gel manicure at Nails Inc & it cost £50 & the item for sale is as good etc etc, I would be furious if I was the Nails Inc lady, who sells on this channel! Lol

Anyway, some people will always want a cheap deal look at groupon! I don't think we have much to worry about in the long run.
{{walking away smiling - like an idiot!!}}

Don't tell anyone, but so did I :D

I Think mine came from good old Woolworths, along with my Tangee see-through-pink lipstick (the only one my mother would let me wear) my 'clearly pink' Cutex polish (the only one my mother would let me wear) and the Ponds Cold Cream !! lol Thank the lord for Mary Quant and her green and blue polish in the 60's (well away from mum by this time)!

And Aqua Manda perfume?

Latest posts

Back