AOL: Potential Dangers of 6 Beauty Treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pebbles#1

Reaction score
I have just signed on to my aol account and what`s the first thing I see?
An article about how dangerous Acrylic nails are. Dr Debra Jaliman an American Academy of Dermatology spokesperson states "acrylic nails are a total disaster".
You must read some of the claims!!!!!
Why is it every so often this happens? If it`s not on the internet then it`s
front page of a womans magazine. :mad:

I have come to the conclusion that the media hates the nail enhancement industry. They have been educated time and again by professionals and scientists and still decide to write what they do.

There are just some things in this world that the media has to make the bad guy. Luckily these are the same media telling us that our food, household products, cleaners, water, cosmetics and medicines are gonna kill us all like the plague any day now so people don't tend to take them as seriously as they would want :green:

I have just signed on to my aol account and what`s the first thing I see?
An article about how dangerous Acrylic nails are. Dr Debra Jaliman an American Academy of Dermatology spokesperson states "acrylic nails are a total disaster".
You must read some of the claims!!!!!
Why is it every so often this happens? If it`s not on the internet then it`s
front page of a womans magazine. :mad:

Could you give us a link to this article so we can see these claims??

This appears to be the article Dangers of Beauty Treatments - AOL Health

And for those not wishing to click, the info on Artificial nails is as follows

"Acrylic nails are a total disaster," says Jaliman, who has seen her fair share of bacterial infections caused by artificial nails. A gap can develop between the natural nail and the acrylic nail, creating a warm, moist environment that acts as "a heat sink for bacteria," according to Jaliman. Other times, the acrylic prevents the nail from breathing, thereby trapping fungus inside. Women may experience redness, swelling and pain from acrylic resins. Worse, if the nail root is damaged, the natural nail is also damaged. "If you wear these things on a regular basis, you end up destroying the nail beneath, so it never grows back again," says Jaliman, who saw a woman confined to the hospital for six weeks with a bone infection of the hand after an initial infection from acrylic nails was misdiagnosed. "Some patients have these nubbins of destroyed nails, and then they're forced to wear acrylic nails all the time." Instead, Jaliman encourages patients to take the B vitamin complex Biotin to strengthen their natural nails.

There appears to be a mix of truth, truth when done by bad techs and just plain wrongness lol. Nails breathing:rolleyes: And from an MD too...:rolleyes:

Grrrrr! Speaking with my PR pro hat on - where are our industry bodies? What are they doing - both proactively and reactively - to protect the reputation of the nail industry?

Alternatively this kind of thing represents a wonderful opportunity for one of the big, respected nail companies to get in the ring, dispell the myths and promote their own best practice to the general public. To be seen and heard lobbying for regulation in the industry. OMG managing a campaign like that would be my dream job so if anyone out there needs freelance PR, PM me lol.x

I too saw it when logging into my account. I wish they would get thier info right. My nails are proof that Acrylics dont damage your natural nail. Using a good product and following the correct proceedures is my secret. Its a here we go again situation.

Erm HELLO..the nail root what are they talking about? If refering to the matrix as it is correctly called (but who knows they were probably refering to something else). And the whole nail breathing rubbish again? I am sure they are getting their info from people using the NSS again and putting us all in the same category AGAIN! If a client printed this out and gave to to me, I would have the correct answeres to all the concernes and am confident that I could explain what the are claiming is untrue! As Im sure every other tech on this sight could too. I think its just more of the same, does anyone remember a while back I think it was company or cosmo magazine did a similar article. I hope that my clients feel confident and comfortable around me, so if they hear of thing like this they will come straight forward and ask, and they trust me when I tell them the truth, thats all you can do realy xx

Latest posts

Back