Apprentice problems - Advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemissvee

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. I have an apprentice who has been with us since September.

We took her on as she was slightly older and my thinking was she would be a bit more responsible and seemed incredibly keen to learn. However, she is turning out to be a bit of a handful!

When she has been doing models hair at the salon and I tell her what she did well that seems fine, but when I offer constructive criticism she does not take it so well and gets quite wound up. Yesterday, I brought a client into the salon not realising that our apprentice had pulled one of the heaters from one side of the salon to the other, a wire was trailing across the salon which caused the client to trip, thankfully she didn't go over, but I was so annoyed that she had been so irresponsible, but didn't say anything at that point and apologised profusely to the client. Later on when the clients had gone, I took the girl aside and told her very calmly what the consequences could have been had the client fallen over and that we take health & safety very seriously. At this point I gave her a verbal warning as I have said about trailing wires on several occasions. You could see she was getting very angry and started to become very sarcastic and rude. As I've said this is not the first occasion that she has behaved in this way.

It also seems that giving her tasks to do, some things she does well and I tell her so, other things are very sloppy. When I do group meetings and just remind them of the high standards I expect, she just sits & looks bored and disinterested. Her product knowledge is also very poor, we have all tried to help her with this, I have produced quizzes to make learning about the products more fun for her, I have given her literature to look through, its improved, but only marginally.

It's really odd as the clients seem to like her as she is chatty and friendly, but they don't see the other side that I have to deal with. I'm 35 and she is 33 so I really feel she should know better and excelling herself far more than this. I feel annoyed with myself that I have given someone this opportunity and feel that as an employer, I am very fair, I have paid for an additional course for her and also sent her and the staff, all expenses paid to a hair show, just a real kick in the teeth!

Has anyone had this experience before or can offer any advice to help? Very grateful if you can. Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay!!

Sadly, your experience isn't unusual. You'd think that given how hard it is to get an apprenticeship, people would seize the opportunity.
At 33, learning an entirely new skill, and saloncraft, isn't easy. Most people have pre-conceived ideas about what hairdressers actually do. At the level you're working,(by the sounds of it), it must have come as a shock to her.
With courses and shows etc, employees are often cavalier about them, and have no concept as to how much they actually cost, so don't be hurt over that.
In terms of practical advice, I'd suggest a meeting to air your concerns. Let's face it, if she's got a face on when you correct her hair work at this stage, she won't get too far with REAL clients, and their demands.
I'd give her a set period in which to improve, say a month, and if she doesn't, then get rid and make room for someone who will understand the precious gift that is an apprenticeship.

Sadly, your experience isn't unusual. You'd think that given how hard it is to get an apprenticeship, people would seize the opportunity.
At 33, learning an entirely new skill, and saloncraft, isn't easy. Most people have pre-conceived ideas about what hairdressers actually do. At the level you're working,(by the sounds of it), it must have come as a shock to her.
With courses and shows etc, employees are often cavalier about them, and have no concept as to how much they actually cost, so don't be hurt over that.
In terms of practical advice, I'd suggest a meeting to air your concerns. Let's face it, if she's got a face on when you correct her hair work at this stage, she won't get too far with REAL clients, and their demands.
I'd give her a set period in which to improve, say a month, and if she doesn't, then get rid and make room for someone who will understand the precious gift that is an apprenticeship.

Thank you for the advice, very much appreciated!

She started an apprenticeship when she was 17, but didn't finish it due to various reasons, think she had about 4 months to go. So I figured that everyone deserves a second chance and with her willingness to learn, I thought she would hit the ground running.

I've put together an appraisal form and everything will be scored from 1-3. I agree with giving a month for improvement.

Thank you for your help.

Hairdressing back then was very different to how it is today, techniques are different, as are the standards of service. Like I said, a bit of a shock to her. 16 years ago, we were doing curly perms and weekly blow dries. Retailing wasn't as big or as complex as it is now, and colouring techniques were basic by today's standards. Hair was seen as an easy trade.
Nowadays, clients expect so much more, and it sounds as though she's unprepared for how much work and effort she needs to put in. There may also be jealousy issues about you being in the same age group. She may be angry that she was forced to give up at 17, while you clearly have had a Stella career.

Hi, I think maybe you need to have a formal meeting with her and literally break it down to her that her job could be on the line if she continues to act the way she does. I would frankly tell lost all the issues that u have with her. If I was you I would type her the letter hat u want the meeting so she knows your not mucking about. It's hard managing someone who is all over the place, I became a midwife at 21 ( youngest in the hospital I worked at) and sometimes I had to mentor people who were like 43 etc and it would be very hard because some of them didnt respect the fact that I was a midwife, more so had an issue with how young I was.
At the end of the day it's your salon, if she can't do what's expected of her in a professional manner than she is toying with her job. Have u tried giving her like an action plan or targets that she should be working towards. You can have some sort of "passport" where u have skills that she needs to demonstrate and have maybe a monthly or weekly review.
Bottom line is u need to take control of the situation now or she end up controlling u.
Hope this helps! ( this is my first post!)

She clearly does not have the right attitude. She's there to learn, not be sarcastic & rude. Don't forget that the ball is in your court & you're the one doing her a favour. I'd cut her off swift!

Thank you for your replies. Really helpful.

If I'm honest, deep down, I'd rather give her the boot! But my decent self is saying one last chance. I'm going to try the appraisal route for just January for now and see what happens and if no improvement is made then she's fired! Oooh, I'd love to do an Alan Sugar!

I am qualified in hair & beauty - not management and this is a weak area for me, so I'm learning all the time!

Hi, I think maybe you need to have a formal meeting with her and literally break it down to her that her job could be on the line if she continues to act the way she does. I would frankly tell lost all the issues that u have with her. If I was you I would type her the letter hat u want the meeting so she knows your not mucking about. It's hard managing someone who is all over the place, I became a midwife at 21 ( youngest in the hospital I worked at) and sometimes I had to mentor people who were like 43 etc and it would be very hard because some of them didnt respect the fact that I was a midwife, more so had an issue with how young I was.
At the end of the day it's your salon, if she can't do what's expected of her in a professional manner than she is toying with her job. Have u tried giving her like an action plan or targets that she should be working towards. You can have some sort of "passport" where u have skills that she needs to demonstrate and have maybe a monthly or weekly review.
Bottom line is u need to take control of the situation now or she end up controlling u.
Hope this helps! ( this is my first post!)

Thanks for your reply. I've tried giving her several action plans and monthly targets but without success. In your case, I don't get why people have such issues and why they can't just be pleased that you got to where you had with a lot of hard work as nothing comes without it!

Coupled with the fact that I've not had children, I actually look about 16 ( when I was on labour ward I had patients refuse for me to look after them, becuase of looking young, they would put someone else in the room with less expierance) and in midwifery when u have a student they practise on ur registration so sometimes you have to be quite firm in regards to what they can and can't do. I think they don't like someone so young saying actually they can't do this and that.
Once I had a student say to me it was kinda uncomfortable that I was her mentor as I'm so young, I told her after training for 3 years and having worked for 2, I'm qualified to show her the ropes! I am no longer a midwife now. It's just too much! Too stressful!

Latest posts

Back