Are great lengths hair extensions as good as they make out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
hi there

im going for a consulation tomorrow to see a hairdresser who does GREAT LENGTH HAIR EXTENSIONS she says they are the best quality the hair is soft and stays in fabulous conditon and the bonds to, but they can cost up to £500 for full head...

she does not have before and after pics which i would like to see except she says she has some on her phone and she needs to do some, she works in a prestigous salon the owner worked in vidal sassoon for 20 years..

just wanted some advice on them as a lot of money

also what is the situation if i dont like them or there is a problem with regards to paying or refund etc as im nervous due to the cost and its just taking her word for it that they will look good

cheers

nenee

i dont think (my personal opinion ) that the name brand places like these are any better then any other hair that salons offer.. as really your paying for the name.

you should be paying for the type of hair tbh ask them what hair it is as im not familar with great lengths so i dont know..
but you should find out if its e.g chinese, indian, european, russian, remy,virgin etc
but a good indicator is how long they say the hair last for 500.00 i wouldnt want to be replacing that in 3 months time.

also im surprised she has no pictures for you to see properly i always carried my portfolio when i was mobile and still keep it in the salon.

Hi ya

I think she said they were pure indian ladies hair who cut them in temples and are top condtion not covered in silicon.

how long should they last? dont you have to go back in 3 months to have them re bonded and is that a pricey job?

i think iv read some hair can last for years

do they charge with regards to the length of them to, so say i only wanted them not too long would they be less than 500 say

i dont know what i should be asking or looking out for? any suggestions?

cheers

nenee

Hi ya

I think she said they were pure indian ladies hair who cut them in temples and are top condtion not covered in silicon.

i use temple hair its good quality.. it wont be virgin hair if your hair aint dark brown as indian hair is dark.. but the temple coloured is really good quality also and will last more then 3 months . my clients get about 5 months out of it. so you'd be fine with that

how long should they last? dont you have to go back in 3 months to have them re bonded and is that a pricey job?

you have maintenence checks also but they will tell you prices as seems to vary everywhere when it comes to extensions.

i think iv read some hair can last for years
if you want this sort of hair you will need virgin hair tbh.. you could ask them about that .. my prices for that starts at 500.00 but it lasts for ages.. so if your getting the indian virgin hair for that price that sounds about right to me.. but even if coloured its still really good quality.

do they charge with regards to the length of them to, so say i only wanted them not too long would they be less than 500 say

depends what their starting length as they may have quoted 500 for that e.g if its 14 inches then it might be 500 so 18 inch will be longer. you would have to go for them to see as it may vary by how thick your hair is also as the price varies for each client

i dont know what i should be asking or looking out for? any suggestions?
if you can re-use it, pictures tbh,

cheers

nenee

hope that helps... hopefully someone who does great lengths will be able to help you abit more.. but if your not 100% sure with everything then dont book it..

Last edited:
hi ya
i used to do great lengths hair extensions in the salon i used to work at, i don't do them anymore because the training isnt portable to other salons you have to do the training all over again to be able to do them again.....

it is very nice hair, soft, remi, and it is Asian hair from India.
they tell you its the best hair you can get when you do the training, but without having done hair extension exclusively for years training with various makes and types i really cant say if they are the best or not, ive seen raccoon and really dont like them by the way, but what i can say is this.....

yes its nice hair
yes you do have to treat it well
yes you have to go for maintenance every 6 wks which they can check your bonds and replace any that have fallen out, (which should be free for first time check then around £30 per maintenance visit after then..
yes you will lose some but only through natural shedding of your hair ( i experienced around 2/4 bonds every visit)
its very high maintenance they recommend you brush your hair from root to tip at least twice a day
only use the shampoo and conditioner they give you
hold the roots when brushing the ends. you can not tie your hair up tight, as this will cause stress on the follicle and could result in bald patches
you have to dry your hair at least the root area where the bonds are and not let your hair dry naturally.
if you swim, have a sauna, excessively exercise then this can result in the bonds sliding down the hair, (basically anything that gets them damp or wet..)
if youve had a baby in the last 3 months its not wise to get them done as you may experience excess hair loss
they also take much longer to dry than your own hair and not just cus their longer because their more porous (especially blonde hair )
full bonds can last up to 6months, fine and micro bonds last from 1 to 3 months
in your consultation the stylist should go much more into depth about this and tell you about maintenance etc please ask lots of questions as they might just skim over the bad bits and just rave on about how fab they are.....

in a nutshell they are fab you get a good result but there ever so high maintenance.
so be prepared and good luck
x

oh most i ever charged was 625 least was 150
so the price really does vary..a lot

hi ya

thay sound like to much hassle i really dont have time to dry my hair everyday and my own hair is bleached and not in the best condition and i had a baby 10 wks ago;)

are there other hair extensions that are not such high maintenance or are they all the same??

you see i want long hair but my hair just hangs and i dont know what style to have so i thought hair extensions would be better...

what about having extensions just at the sides to thicken my own hair out?

thanks for your advice really appreciate it

nenee

If you just want thickness mainly you might not need a full head of hair..
you would only need to dry it everydy if you washed it everyday and i doubt you would really with extensions in.. as most people go abit longer with extensions in without wshing their hair.but it will be harder then you own hair to maintain

Last edited:
Unfortunately all extensions do take alot of looking after , and regular maintainance .Even though i live for them i advise people if they cant follow the aftercare to the letter as advised then they are better off not having them.
:D

Hi everyone,

Im new on the site and have a couple of question.

Can anyone recommend a good hairextention course to go on.

I want to learn micro bonding ( i can already do it but would like a certificate..) and glue in mainly, but would like to learn anyonther techniques included in the course.?

also is there anyone on here working as a hair extentiom technition.
if so do u make a lot of money?

( sorry about my selling!)
Thanks
please rely asap as i want to be on a course by next week!
xxx

Indian hair is not the best hair to use on a European person, as it is courser than English hair. For £500 you should be able to get a full head of Spanish or Polish hair ext.

Hi everyone,

I want to learn micro bonding ( i can already do it but would like a certificate..) and glue in mainly, but would like to learn anyonther techniques included in the course.?

Thanks
xxx

Hi, if you are not a fully qualified hairdresser.... then I would suggest you take a look at these posts first :) hth minky

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/69463-hair-extension-course.html

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/115147-i-can-learn-how-do-hair-five-minutes-right.html

Indian hair is not the best hair to use on a European person, as it is courser than English hair. For £500 you should be able to get a full head of Spanish or Polish hair ext.

i do like italian and spanish hair actually.. very silky..

i use balmain, its easy to put in, its thichness per strand is great and the gell suits me , i put them in the front to thicken , im not trained , but fine at putting them in myself ...! only on the side lol the back id have no chance.:o:D

Bet that looks nice from a side on veiw!!! Do you cut them yourself too?

i use balmain, its easy to put in, its thichness per strand is great and the gell suits me , i put them in the front to thicken , im not trained , but fine at putting them in myself ...! only on the side lol the back id have no chance.:o:D
Your brave, i'm qualified and would n't be able to put ext in my own hair ! have attempted to trim it thou sometimes while being impatient and always regret it!x

On Great Lengths track, i removed some of these last week with a new client who had worn them for years via another hairdresser, It was one shade light blonde and i was pretty impressed with condition of hair i was taking out and the bond strength. Fine to remove as well. I was replacing with celebrity Elite my hair of choice for prebonded, quality vs cost ext. This was clients choice as she had seen my work on a couple of ladies and her opinon was the celeb hair was more silky smooth , thou I had nt seen the great lengths new in.
I have often felt that balmain hair can really depend on colour for quality. Had some really disappointing results with much of the blonde individual hair. Thou absolutely love the double hair.
Would really love to work with some russian virgin hair thou but have never been able to find this prebonded x

russian does come prebonded you just have to look around.. get a sample also.. price for it bonded is alot more then bulk anyway...
but russian is my favourite hair for softness ..

russian does come prebonded you just have to look around.. get a sample also.. price for it bonded is alot more then bulk anyway...
but russian is my favourite hair for softness ..

Thats very interesting hun, On occasions i looked for it and only found hair on sites claiming it to be virgin but far too cheap to be. Any ideas where to look?
I have tried (only for a short time) to pre bond hair or work with a glue gun but i have been spoilt with the prebonded and far too messy and time consuming for me:D. Would love to get hold of some round tipped prebonded virgin russian for one of my client who used to go to Tatiana's . the hair she had in from there when i started with her was amazing. x

Hi everyone,

Thanks
xxx

You need to be a qualified hairdresser first are you??
If not ask at local colleges fro NVQ2 hairdressing courses and when you have progressed from there you may find hair extensions a great asset. If not i wouldnt bother and to be honest may of us professionals are getting pretty sick of advising cowgirl extensionists that think they can be a pro in 5 days!!!!

Latest posts

Back