Are there times you don't feel good enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire83

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, not been around for a long time, but I've recently started to get my Geek on again.

Over the past few weeks/months I've been feeling that I'm just not good enough at the nails I do. Clients are coming back reporting dry and/or flaking nails, Gelish doesn't last or peels or splits etc.

I'm really critical over the work I do and feel that it has been slowly deteriorating. Admittedly I've had a few things on my mind (and still do) but I'm hoping they are heading in the right direction now.

So, how do you get yourself out of these funks and get back on tip top form?

I do have self pity too. I think it's its normal. You would go to a period where everything else you do seems to be useless and just locked yourself in your bedroom. Sometimes you do fell like crying but it still hopeless. I do feel for you and I know it's hard. I may not be of much help but I'd say things happen for a reason. Try to pick up yourself and do your best. It may not be okay for now but eventually things will turn out the way you want them. Just believe in yourself.

Absolutely! It's the reason I haven't actually started my business! I have been qualified for a year, been making plans to start, but just lose the confidence. So I have gone back and done a few refreshers. Just 2 more to do this week and I don't care if I don't care if I still feel in confident...... I am just going to go out there and go for it!!
From what I have seen on here, lots of people feel this way.
You can do it, you trained and worked hard for this, you just need to get your mojo back ;-). Big hugs being sent xx

I'm the same as Tjmadmum, don't have the confidence to even start! x

Every. Single. Day.
It doesn't take much to knock my confidence, and there are times, in the dark watches of the night, that I lie there, wondering what on earth made me think I could do this!
Then I get a lovely email from a geeker telling me how much my posts have helped them in their business and my fragile self belief is restored. For a while...

Lynne this surprises me, you come across so confident in your posts.
You are a wealth of knowledge and seem so strong minded, and have helped many of us I'm sure.

I too have periods of feeling rubbish, I thought doing my level 3 would help with confidence but it hasn't, I know now its something only I can work on and change... And I will :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Hi Geeks, not been around for a long time, but I've recently started to get my Geek on again.

Over the past few weeks/months I've been feeling that I'm just not good enough at the nails I do. Clients are coming back reporting dry and/or flaking nails, Gelish doesn't last or peels or splits etc.

I'm really critical over the work I do and feel that it has been slowly deteriorating. Admittedly I've had a few things on my mind (and still do) but I'm hoping they are heading in the right direction now.

I find that when i'm in a lull like this, doing something different really helps. For example, if it was nails, i might have a look at a load of different nail art tutorials, buy a few new bits and bobs and go crazy with my colour pops. It always cheers me up :)

I bought in Minx but didn't feel at all confident with it, so last week i went and did a class in London with Ruth and i feel blooming marvelous! I couldn't wait to do, i knew my clients would love it, really motivated. Maybe a class would help you? xx

Thanks everyone. I think I know other people go through it but it feels like it's just you when you are there.

I'm hoping to sort out some classes soon so that might help. Just need things to get sorted and then I'll know what I'm doing.

It does surprise me about you though, Lynn. You always seem so confident and self-assured. :)

Practice makes perfect :) x

Sorry if this sounds sexist, but I truly think it's a female trait.

In every area of my life I have found:

The "intellectual" part of me looks at the evidence, ie people complimenting me, and I think "Hey; I'm OK. In fact I'm more than OK!"

Then the "instinctive" part of me counters it with "Who are you kidding? You are just lucky - you'll be found out...."

As I've got older I've decided to do my best to ignore the instinctive part :)

Sorry if this sounds sexist, but I truly think it's a female trait.

In every area of my life I have found:

The "intellectual" part of me looks at the evidence, ie people complimenting me, and I think "Hey; I'm OK. In fact I'm more than OK!"

Then the "instinctive" part of me counters it with "Who are you kidding? You are just lucky - you'll be found out...."

As I've got older I've decided to do my best to ignore the instinctive part :)

This is exactly what I'm trying to do now xxx

Thing is, I study so hard all the time, and work so hard to ensure that we give our trade customers a really good service, that in my Alan Partridge moments I swagger about the place thinking "yeah, I'm alright, me!", and then I revert to being a small, skinny, bespectacled girl with my dad yelling that he wasted his money sending me to public school only to paint bloody toenails for a living.

I can't use this language on this site, but take my word for it, Philip Larkin was abso-bloody-lutely right...

Larkin - This Be The Verse

This is exactly what I'm trying to do now xxx

Natasha you are joking aren't you. You're doing so bloomin' well. There's a reason for that! You! :0) xx

Yep all the time. Days when your the dogs danglies at nail/ beauty. Then days when a career change might be in order!!! Thing is you never know when those days are going to come. I've had so many of them now that I try to move on quicker by knowing the up days will be back soon. Hugs x

[

I can't use this language on this site, but take my word for it, Philip Larkin was abso-bloody-lutely right...

Larkin - This Be The Verse[/QUOTE]

Absolutely....but being a parent means you don the hair shirt incessantly.

Btw this poem has significance for me; I once organised a conference on Emotional Intelligence, and my key speaker - who was a wonderfully inspirational mentor to me - opened with a recital of it. Everyone sat up and paid attention after that!

I drive myself nuts with my 'self loathing' hours/days. Other days I feel confident and I'm back on my game. This goes for work and personal life. I try not to question myself too much, as quite frankly I'd be huddled in bed, under the duvet, a slobbery, crying wreck refusing to even poke a toe out the front door if I really analysed myself :Scared:

I think we can all be very hard on ourselves sometimes and really we're all going through the same thing... life. We're a funny creature.

I say take the highs, pull yourself up from the lows and when you do something positive whether it be a fabulous set of nails, or you've just done that one job you've been telling yourself you're going to do for the last six months (!), give yourself a pat on the back, smile and say I bloody did it! Sometimes it's the small victories in life, that give us the greatest pleasure.

Chin up lovely. xxx

I feel like this all the time , I try not to let it show , I do ask for feed back all the time , clients came back so I figured i'm doing ok and got on with it .
I think we see the mistakes , or the slight imperfections so much more than any one else would. its "our" work we sort of put our name to it , so we will criticize , or be hard on our selfs ,

as far as your clients having issues with there Gelish they looked fabulous when you did them right ?
are they using cuitical oil ? if not they will have dried out nails , are they picking , flicking nibbling ,flicking , soaking , and all the other things we ALL do with our hands ? probably ,

there coming back and telling you what happened , that's very offten alot like admitting they might have helped it off , or know a bit more than there saying , ;)

honestly if they all thought you wear cra@ at what you do they wouldn't come back , x

Thanks a lot ladies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one like this. I know I'm not, but it just feels like it.

At least you've made me chuckle today.

Still going through the lows, but you are all right. If I wasn't good enough the clients wouldn't be coming back. I just need to have more faith in myself.

Trouble is I find a salon that's doing the same, look at their work, criticise myself even more and then wonder if I should continue. I've done exactly this this morning, if I'd not found about this salon (that's been going since Jan) I'd have been fine. Grr.

I'm definitely my own worst enemy. :o

Yes, I'm like that too. When I completed my NVQ training I left the course with zero confidence so much so that I went on to re-train privately with CIBTAC which then gave me the confidence that I had longed for. Up until recently if I got even one move wrong or forgot a move in my Swedish massage I would really beat myself up. I continue to read up on everything skin related and go over it and over it until I know it. I need to be able to answer a question when it's put in front of me and if I don't know I will find out. So I think I will put it down to having a passion for the industry and to be honest I would rather be the way I am and really care than not care at all. The only advice I can give to the OP is to think about which area you are starting to doubt yourself in and update your knowledge in that area whether it be through reading or practical work and remember having knowledge will give you confidence.

I HATE myself when I'm not busy. I completely blame myself saying its my fault coz I'm rubbish and they won't come back to you! But then the following week thoses people phone up for another appointment and then everything is ok again!
I do think we all mentally tourcher ourselves when it goes a bit quiet time to time!
I'm reading Paul mckenna change your life in 7 days! (Only read the first page so far) but its all about re programming our negative thoughts and changing them to a positive!
As hard as it will be I'm gona give it a go this week and see what happens! Anyone else care to join in? Xxx

Latest posts

Back