Are these ok to enhance? (pic)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

femmefan

Reaction score
Would like some input on the condition of these nails as her doctor says there is nothing wrong with them but I've not seen anything like them before.

damage.jpg

The pinkie and index finger nails are either not growing or growing very slowly and the nail plate is very soft so that she has picked off the very ends where they appear shredded. She is a former serious nailbiter and has managed to grow all her other nails but the pinkie and index fingernails are the same on both hands. There is also a strange 'bloom' under her thumbnails (see second picture). She has previously worn stick ons and I did wonder if she has had an allergic reaction to the adhesive. The brown stains are due to wearing cheap red polish with no base coat in an attempt to cover up the damage. Her doctor has been very dismissive of the damage and says that it is simply how her nails grow! I would like to do an overlay for her to stop her from picking at the softened nailplate and see if the protection helps them to grow out better but thought I'd just run it past you guys to see if you had come across anything like this.

damage2.jpg

I wouldnt enhance them the index finger & pinky r a no go, there is no way that an enhancement would go on them plus if the r already damaged & soft u wouldnt b doing them any favours!!!

the cuticle area of the thumbs looks enlarge & red(dont known if this is how it looks normally !!!)

Denise

I would probably give it a go anyway on the agreement that she comes to you weekly to start with and see how the index and pinkie fingers go, as they may come off snooner than the other nails. They are no worse than nails I've enhanced and they were all like the pinkie nail.

If you decide to do enhancements on these nails I believe I would require a statement from her Doctor first and hang on to the photos you just posted. Then should you decide to proceed I would make the enhancements very short and require her to come in every ten days at first. It is a tough call. I wish you the best with whatever decision you make.

Mastiffmom
CND Grand Master

Dr. release sounds good.

I would not put an enhancement on either the pinkie or index.

Keep a close eye on the thumb, if you decide to do her nails.

Have you ever built a nail? That might be the way to go in order to cause less damage to the nail. With enhancement you are gluing and filing but if you build a nail, all you will have to do is prep the nail and apply the product. Not sure what you are using for product - but you can build toe nails with a product called Pedique from LCN and its a gel that you cure. Or simply use a form to build the nail if you can, if not, try to build then end of the existing nail with gel then apply a form to the cured gel and build it out further from there. Just a thought. Like I said may cause minimal damage as apposed to gluing a tip on. Either way, there will be no guarantee that anything will stay on due to the damage/shortage of nail plate to work with.

Dr. release sounds good.

I would not put an enhancement on either the pinkie or index.

Keep a close eye on the thumb, if you decide to do her nails.

i wouldn't touch the thumb unless given the all clear by the doc - it looks sore.

Have you ever built a nail? That might be the way to go in order to cause less damage to the nail. With enhancement you are gluing and filing but if you build a nail, all you will have to do is prep the nail and apply the product. Not sure what you are using for product - but you can build toe nails with a product called Pedique from LCN and its a gel that you cure. Or simply use a form to build the nail if you can, if not, try to build then end of the existing nail with gel then apply a form to the cured gel and build it out further from there. Just a thought. Like I said may cause minimal damage as apposed to gluing a tip on. Either way, there will be no guarantee that anything will stay on due to the damage/shortage of nail plate to work with.

I cartainly agree with the no guarantee part. She has done an incredible amount of damage to her nails and I know you have heard on here several times about builing your house on a good foundation. Well, her foundation is definitely weak and crumbly and it is a good suggestion to sculpt or build the nail rather than try to apply a tip if you can. Please do let us know how it goes if you proceed with enhancements.

Best of luck.:green:

Mastiffmom
CND Grand Master

I had a client whose nails were like this. He had psorisis of the nail and enhancements are fine with this condition-depending on the severity of course.
I agree with building a nail as I dont even think it would be possible to adhere a tip to either the index or little fingers.
I would definetly get a docs note regarding these two fingers and ask her to ask her doc about the soreness of the thumb.
hths
x

Just a bit more info for you:

I should really have said, I already have a note from her doctor but I'm not always 100% sure that doctors have any idea about what we do when enhancing nails!

Also, I don't really do tips and would never have considered them. I was thinking of overlaying l&p directly onto the skin (lubricated with solaroil first). No extension, just to give the appearance of a normal nailbed. A bit like when building a new toenail for someone when they haven't got one.

The thumbs aren't sore at all and she has no discomfort with them. She just seems to have that colouring naturally and I suspect she still picks at the skin a bit.

I'll give it a bit more thought and do some more searching on the net to see if I can spot any more ailments which look similar before I make the decision. She's coming in to see me again tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions so far but please feel free to give any more opinions.

Cheers

I had a client whose nails were like this. He had psorisis of the nail and enhancements are fine with this condition-depending on the severity of course.
I agree with building a nail as I dont even think it would be possible to adhere a tip to either the index or little fingers.
I would definetly get a docs note regarding these two fingers and ask her to ask her doc about the soreness of the thumb.
hths
x

Thanks, I'll look that one up and check it out.

i dont see any reason why you shouldnt be able to enhance them, i agree with the doctors note, or at the very least have her sign a waiver (to protect yourself, incase she decides to remove the enhancements and say that you caused the damage, its sad but unfortunately ive heard of this happening before:( ) I've sculpted l&p on nails that look worse that this and they can turn out looking really good, try using a masque pink on the nailbeds to cover the damange and i think you'll be really surprised how nice they'll look:) the only thing i would be worried about is etching the nailplate, especially since you said they are already really thin, and she mind find filing painful.

Latest posts

Back