Are you from England?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
I've just been chatting to some friends on face book about the threads on here, about how some people think other people have been rude, at how they have responded to that perceived rudeness and I think I know what part of the problem is.

Salon Geek is a world wide site, we have geeks from many different nationalities. A couple of times I and others put up threads asking geeks not to use text speak or slang because it makes it very hard for people who's first language is not English to understand what's being written.
Some of them are amazingly great tech's who have the right temperament to teach and they just don't bother reading threads with text speak or slang in them.

Inevitably, someone would get upset and think I was having a go at their lack of education, I wasn't, trust me, with out a spell checker, you wouldn't be able to read this! I'm 'that' bad.

Well we don't see so many of those geeks, we had a really good one who came from Greece for example, who apart from being someone who I could have a good laugh with, helped lots of us sort out ratio problems.

But a lot of them are still around and it's not just language that separates us, if fact when the language is the same, the problem seems to be worse, we have Canadians, Americans, Australians, all speaking English but all applying their culture to the same language.

After a few years on here, you learn to filter out, how something sounds to you, and just read the words.

A thread on here last night, I found informative, it had me looking for an article on how to pick the best l&p for me, I didn't give it a second thought, but the original poster did, she was very upset by the way she'd been 'spoken' to by this Canadian Geek.

Sometimes it doesn't help to look at the Avatar as Geeks move around, the same as other people and tend to put where they live now, rather then where they came from.

Let me give you an example, this one is just the difference between two different parts of England.

I come from Ramsgate Kent and was married to an army guy, we lived in Germany and I met a fantastic wife called Wendy, she was my next door neighbour and came from Herefordshire. Summer ball, I'm all dressed up and knocked on Wendy's door to get her opinion on my new dress.

She opened the door and said. 'You tart' for a split second I was hurt, bewildered and felt like I'd been punched.

Ramsgate slang, a tart was a street corner, drug taking prostitute who would do it in front of her kid! Lowest of the low.

Herefordshire? You tart, meant you've done your self up like a dogs dinner and dam girl, you look hot!

I nearly hit her:) Thankfully, the look on my face gave her a clue and she quickly explained what she'd meant.

So step back, breath deep and think, before you let the red mist come down in front of your eyes.

Try a bit of laughter first, reply to someone who has offended you, put their remark in a quote and say, ok, I took this to mean..............is that what you were saying? It will help the other person too, they can learn to temper the way they write a reply, others will learn that blunt is not meant to be rude, we all get a chance to grow.

We are actually more then two but the quote is still a good one.

Two great nations separated by one great language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread!!

Great susie!

Would also like to add that what we type has no tone of voice in it, so what you may pick up as bitchy is really just a normal question. X

crap! I must share the love LOL

Well said !
:Kissing:

Love this post!!
I recently sent a txt to my boyfriend that to me was just a txt asking wot he had done to day and wot time he would be back home!(he works all over the country and is never home at the same time) he took this as a bitchy moaning txt and hit the roof! My normal txt's are quite creative with smiley faces and kisses as I was in a rush this did not happen! He had had a bad day and just took it the wrong way I think it is easy to make this mistake when you use these ways of communicating as you carnt hear voice tone or see body language!
I agree totally and think we are all guilty of this at some point!! So chilling a little and don't be to quick to snap is good advice for all of us on forums and in our related industries!!
Xxxxxxx 

Great thread hun! I think when someone replies to a thread they read it the wrong way hence it turning into a...bitchfest! x

That's the problem with the written word. It's very easy to misconstrue and put your own meaning to something that is the total opposite to what the poster intended.

Especially when punctuation is not used or is put in the wrong place. It can totally change the meaning of a sentence.

There was a thread on here yesterday that disappeared after I responded to it. I responded, went and helped a friend with a job application for a few hours and when I came back the thread had gone. I don't know what happened after I logged out but I'm assuming it went pear shaped.

I know other geeks have said the same but I get straight to the point in my replies without all the huns & hug hug stuff in my posts but still try not to be offensive. Some times it's better to walk away from the keyboard for an hour or so to think about what was written before assuming someones having a go at you and responding back in attack when that's not what was intended.

Sometimes I'll even go and have a think about it for a couple of days and then realise that there was nothing intended in the reply. You reread the post and see that you've made more of the response than what was intended and taken offence to something that reads different when you've had a think about it.

Love this post!!
I recently sent a txt to my boyfriend that to me was just a txt asking wot he had done to day and wot time he would be back home!(he works all over the country and is never home at the same time) he took this as a bitchy moaning txt and hit the roof! My normal txt's are quite creative with smiley faces and kisses as I was in a rush this did not happen! He had had a bad day and just took it the wrong way I think it is easy to make this mistake when you use these ways of communicating as you carnt hear voice tone or see body language!
I agree totally and think we are all guilty of this at some point!! So chilling a little and don't be to quick to snap is good advice for all of us on forums and in our related industries!!
Xxxxxxx 

That's it exactly, sometimes I've known that a thread has only needed a one word answer, but if I just put, 'no' it wouldn't go down very well, but if I put 'no:)' and a brief explanation, then it's fine.

an excellent and well written post Susie H, and some good points made. But we still can't ignore the problem that it seems to be thought of as acceptable to be rude for the sake of being rude, like its their right to talk like that, maybe thats how they talk to mothers, teachers, partners, but this IS a professional site and it is not professional to act like that.

if I went for a treatment in a salon and was talked to in that way I would merely take my money elsewhere.

I'm not in any shape or form saying its young people that are rude, it can be all ages, but as this is a professional site, lets be professional in our answers and leave banter for chit chat and the blogs (thank goodness for the blogs which is treated the same as our staffroom would be).

If I take the time to answer a question, its perfectly acceptable for the OP to say that they do not agree with my view, but I do not think it is acceptable for someone to say so in a rude childish, aggressive or insulting manner.

over and out

an excellent and well written post Susie H, and some good points made. But we still can't ignore the problem that it seems to be thought of as acceptable to be rude for the sake of being rude, like its their right to talk like that, maybe thats how they talk to mothers, teachers, partners, but this IS a professional site and it is not professional to act like that.

if I went for a treatment in a salon and was talked to in that way I would merely take my money elsewhere.

I'm not in any shape or form saying its young people that are rude, it can be all ages, but as this is a professional site, lets be professional in our answers and leave banter for chit chat and the blogs (thank goodness for the blogs which is treated the same as our staffroom would be).

If I take the time to answer a question, its perfectly acceptable for the OP to say that they do not agree with my view, but I do not think it is acceptable for someone to say so in a rude childish, aggressive or insulting manner.

over and out
Good point Hippy Chick, yes, understanding that someone may come across to YOU as rude but actually wasn't is step 1. Step 2, as soriminah pointed out as well as yourself, is to step away and think before you post a reply.
I actually think there is nothing wrong in saying, did you mean to be insulting? because if you did, I'm not going to put up with it.
This then gives the other side the chance to say, good grief no!!
If they come back with a, Well dur, then that's the time to report them, I've done that a few times in the last month, and it's something I've never done before...............
I will try to make my cyber home a better place, I'll do that by explaining, by posting and if I have to by reporting.
I hope that this will help some geeks to feel that they have found a little piece of sanity. I won't stand by and let it go to the wall, I have to much invested here:hug:

I work in a brow bar as the only English girl (all other girls are from the middle east)
And they're so rude!!!
Except there not really, they're really lovely girls once you know them well!
Clients often complain to me about how rude and blunt they can be for example "you need your tash/chin threaded it's really hairy"
But I know them so well now that I've seen when they say things like that to each other they only want to be helpful but us English girls find it rude!

Its a bit like the "does my bum look big in this" thing.
Yes it does.
But do you say that??? x

over and out

Ditto! Just because someone doesn't get the answer that they are hoping for/wanting.... doesn't make it wrong or rude for that matter.
I see it happen often, that they don't like the answer, and then toss insults because it didn't suit them.
HUH?
I don't see the harm in "Agreeing to Disagree in an AMICABLE manner".

I actually think there is nothing wrong in saying, did you mean to be insulting? because if you did, I'm not going to put up with it.
This then gives the other side the chance to say, good grief no!!
If they come back with a, Well dur, then that's the time to report them, I've done that a few times in the last month, and it's something I've never done before...............
I will try to make my cyber home a better place, I'll do that by explaining, by posting and if I have to by reporting.
I hope that this will help some geeks to feel that they have found a little piece of sanity. I won't stand by and let it go to the wall, I have to much invested here:hug:

That about sums it up for me. I had come to the same conclusion myself. Tired of seeing rudeness for no reason and a great deal of immaturity. I want to see Geek thrive as it always has, and continue to be a wonderfully supportive community.
BUT if peeps find it distasteful to visit here, then the 'support' will be reduced...........and many knowledgeable/loveable/talented Geek-members will be lost.
I too will be hitting the report button from now on.
This site MADE me whom I am in business today, and I want it to do the same for others.
If VALUABLE members are lost, it won't.

Its a bit like the "does my bum look big in this" thing.
Yes it does.
But do you say that??? x
Ummmmmmmmmmmm I'm an honest sort, so YES, if I was your 'friend' I WOULD!! I wouldn't want my friend to look at a picture of herself later and go "OMG why did you let me wear that???"
AND
I expect YOU to do the same for me.

(of course, I haven't got a bottom to speak of, but feel free to tell me I've spinach in my teeth LOL)

I'm not from England. I'm from the U.S. and I know exactly what Susie is talking about. There are most assuredly cultural differences based on the continent our forefathers happened to land on. Americans are known for lacking tact and not using an oral filter. I try to be tactful and use my filter, but sometimes...well, I fall short. Americans are known for saying what's on their mind. I'm certainly an A-mura-cun (said in a George W. Bush accent).

"Someone" said that my U.S.A.-ness took some getting use to. Understandable. We're not for everyone. :wink2:

the sad thing is that the people who SHOULD be reading this and taking note probably won't, so eternal circle.

What we need is an

ETIQUETTE FAIRY

OR
you could hire a fire-breathing dragon to whoop their butts into shape..........

Anyone volunteering for the job?

OH WAIT!
I already have that reputation
LOL

OR
you could hire a fire-breathing dragon to whoop their butts into shape..........

Anyone volunteering for the job?

OH WAIT!
I already have that reputation
LOL

I shall now and forever think of you as "The Dragon Lady."

I shall now and forever think of you as "The Dragon Lady."

You wouldn't be the only one
LOL

(psssttt... usually it's "troll-eating dragon lady" and THAT's when they're being nice LOL):twisted:

You wouldn't be the only one
LOL

(psssttt... usually it's "troll-eating dragon lady" and THAT's when they're being nice LOL):twisted:

Who gave you a name like that?? :)

I've read a few of your posts since i've been here and I don't get any sort of Dragon Lady vibe at all! Helpful is all I've ever noticed.

Well I'm a jock and sometimes forget and use scots words when I first started going out with my boyfriend who's english he had to get the scottish blokes on board to deciefer my txts! lol and I have the strange ability to write a whole sentence back to front.............and not notice lol
I am a frequent txter and I am guilty of txt speak but do try not to here! xx

Well I'm a jock and sometimes forget and use scots words when I first started going out with my boyfriend who's english he had to get the scottish blokes on board to deciefer my txts! lol and I have the strange ability to write a whole sentence back to front.............and not notice lol
I am a frequent txter and I am guilty of txt speak but do try not to here! xx

I'm a Dub and try very hard not to type like I talk :)

Latest posts

Back