Are you off/salon closed on Mondays?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wg19

Reaction score
Just wondering what the most common day off is here in the UK for nail techs?

I was under the impression that a lot of places are shut on mondays as are most hairdressing salons in these parts.

I'm asking this partly out of curiosity & partly because I have a bee in my bonnet about being unable to book one day training (in my case Brisa & Fibreglass conversion courses) on a monday. My nearest academy is Manchester & their next conversion courses for these systems are on wed/thurs which are very busy days for me in the salon. Being self employed to take these days off to do the training would cost me a lot of money in lost earnings.

The money is in my pocket & I would book them tomorrow if they were on a monday!!

Anybody else out there want monday training too but having difficulty? Or is it just me being a pain in the a**??!!

i am available whenver a clients wants me, lol , within reason that is !!
like i am going to do a repair today coz my client was drunk last night and has broke one so it will only take a short while and she will be happy i have gone asap and sorted it ,
i know its easter but we aint doing anything so might aswell ,
i dont really think it makes good business sense to be closed on a monday when everyone else is , because what happens to all the clients that want monday appointments ?

I tend to take mondays off, I look after my friends little boy whilst she's at college, and my clients know this, they still contact me on this day though if they need to talk to me to move/arrange appt etc.

Most of my courses with Creative were on Thursday but just moved clients to another day, my clients understand that I like to be kept up to date with training etc, so were more than happy to move on the odd occasion.

I take Sunday & Monday off, but will work if i'm needed, but i have quite a hefty surcharge for my days off

I know what you are saying, I am probably thinking more of the salon based techs I suppose, I work tue - fri & have 3 days off (bliss!). Those 4 days are busy, if I was mobile or home based then I could move people around a bit more to acommodate a mid week training day.

Ooops- a bit slow off the mark there! The above was a reply to Dee!

understand where you coming from hun , when i did hairdressing the salon always shut on a monday, its seems to have always been like that with hairdressing for years , lol
i would just move clients about on the particular days you will be training :green: , usually you have to book courses a good few weeksin advance so you can give clients plenty of notice:green: xxx

understand where you coming from hun , when i did hairdressing the salon always shut on a monday, its seems to have always been like that with hairdressing for years , lol
i would just move clients about on the particular days you will be training :green: , usually you have to book courses a good few weeksin advance so you can give clients plenty of notice:green: xxx

I enquired about the Brisa conversion about a month ago & hurrah it was for Mon 30th April, was there last week on a skill building day ready to book & pay for my place & they had changed the date to the following wed!!:cry: I have clients booked in already for that week which leaves me little or no room for manouvre!

aw thats a bit poo isnt it :confused: , i am sure the clients wont mind , maybe i am a bit less stressed about clients , lol , if i have to change em theres usually a good reasonand , theres nothing i can do , its only the same when they cancel on you at the last minute isnt it :lol:

i work mondays but i mainly have classes booked in so be it clients or students im still working......lol

i also normally take a Thursday off.... i know it seems an odd day but when i was first employed this was the day they gave me and i totally got used to it if needs be i will work my days off after all im self employed so i really have no excuse......lol

when i go on training i will just move my clients to another day or not book them in on the day and then not take that extra day off in the week to fit everythign in

Jess
xox

i have sunday and monday off and for my masters course with creative they are doing it on a sunday so it fits in well x

I know it's a pain when you feel you can't fit training around your working week, but then I guess you must take annual leave at some point so how do you cope with fitting clients in then? Have you asked if they would do these conversions on a one to one and then maybe they can fit you in on a Monday?

many salons are closed on a monday as saturday is a busy day, and by having sun and mon off they get two days off in a row. however, the medium/larger salons tend to be open as they rota their staff. i've never had a prob booking monday courses, usually the companies are only open mon- fri, but maybe in your area its different? i would, as sassy has said, see if you can arrange a one to one etc- after all- they want your money surely! if all else fails, at least your new training should generate more money, and therfore more than recoup the money lost through a couple of days off in the week. your clients will hopefully apprieciate your passion for the industry, and not be too inconvienienced. Good luck xx:)

I'm home based so I guess it is a little different, however, for what it's worth, I have Saturdays and Sundays off (I'll do a Sat a.m. if it's a regular that I absolutely can't fit in anywhere else but it's a rarity). I do find it difficult even juggling holiday, in fact, unless we are physically away, I take days off with hubby and the kids and work in the evenings (so mostly only 1 whole week off a year, blimey I hadn't actually realised that meself!) :rolleyes:

My salon opens on a monday, there are 3 techs in from 9 til 6 and we are always busy, most of our clients on a monday are hairdressers and ladies who don't work. I have a wednesday off and love having that break in the middle of the week.

Ok folks, great replies so far but keep em coming! Training aside I am curious now as to who works when??!! If I was computer savvy {spell?)enough I would set up a poll thingmy?!

Personally I feel that as a customer myself interested in purchasing training & more than willing to hand over my hard filed earnings that more options for dates would be on offer! Not keen to change days too much as I have 2 kids & working extra/other days would be such a hassle - childcare/school runs etc. Also I am a single parent & do a lot for my parents (both in their 80's & I'm extremely lucky to still have!) so "I WANT MONDAY TRAINING!!!!(actually even a sunday would do!)

Also the majority of my regulars come on certain days of the week because of their work/golf(really!)/commitments to childcare for their grandchildren - you name it! Infact when I take a holiday (3 a year) - nowt flash though - YET! My 3 weekers tend to come in 2 weeks instead or my 2 weekers who are due when I am off become 3 weekers. I work extra days before & after a holiday to cover this! They do this because they prefer to come to me rather than others at the salon if I am off, so I do the extra before & after to take care of them because they take care of me all year round!!!

Was I ranting a bit then??!!

If so - end of!

Our salon is open 6 daqs a week - I usually take off Sundays & Mondays and shop owner takes off Sundays & Wednesdays but we'll work if we have clients that can only come on those days off (a Monday or Wednesday) :)

The salon I'm set up in closes on a wednesday, where we are alot of businesses still do this, most of the hairdresser round here still close on a monday, whilst my treatment rooms are still taking off i'm going to be open 6 days.

we're closed sundayd and monday...no questions asked.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

The salon i am buying is open tues to sat and when i take over it will be staying like this and mondays will be by appointment only and only if i cant get them to come on another day,
if i have one day of the week that is regularly quiet then i may make that a day off and open monday instead, just a waiting game at the moment to see how it all goes

Latest posts

Back