As a newbie...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makebelieve

Reaction score
I dont feel very welcomed on this site.

I think I will come back after I'm fully trained, and then I might understand the way some of you act. Not saying all are all cows haha:lick:

But it just seems, as a new person I havent been welcomed or given advice. I've just be spoken to a bit like a child, I feel anyway.

So, I shall come back later! I think maybe a word of warning though, welcome newbies and explain things first. Rather than being sarcastic and slightly rude.

Pleasae don't feel like this, i'm pretty new to all the nails stuff and find this site really useful, however, I do know exactly where you are coming from with regards to the tone of some of the posts/replies you may get.
I do wish that people would remember that some of us are new and that our confidence can really be knocked. On the plus side, most people are lovely and will really go out of their way to help, so don't give up on us xxxxx

The community will give you what you put into it. Personally I think you're being a little defeatist because you are reading quite a lot into others posts.

Remember: Posts do not have tones ;)

I think I will come back after I'm fully trained, and then I might understand the way some of you act. Not saying all are all cows haha:lick:

But it just seems, as a new person I havent been welcomed or given advice. I've just be spoken to a bit like a child, I feel anyway.

So, I shall come back later! I think maybe a word of warning though, welcome newbies and explain things first. Rather than being sarcastic and slightly rude.

Hi, Its a shame that you feel this way but your so right with what you have said about understanding the way us professionals act....thing is this is our living, its what pays the bills and so we do take it very seriously and are passionate about our industry. We want to keep our industry not let it slide into the customer DIY bracket otherwise we would all be out of jobs.

I cant say i have read/saw anything on your posts/threads that appear nasty or rude.

Stick around hun and hopefully you too will become as passionate as us....:)

This is very true. Im not a lovey,hun, sweetie hugs geek/ person and i think sometimes my posts may come across as blunt/rude but they very rarely are as im not like that in real life.
It is so true that you can read a post in exactly the wrong way and tone it is meant.
You need to stick around to learn how people write and their geek personalities then you will understand people are not getting at you its just the way they may write.

When you read text, it can be taken in various ways, peoole may have read your posts n thought you were sarcastic and rude when you may be a lovely person!
The people on this site will be honest with you, they won't tell u what u want to hear, don't take it personally, this site is fantastic for newbies, I have l
earnt loads!

I am sorry if you have not been made to feel welcome. I know you felt I was being rude to you on your other thread which you deleted. I can promise you I wasnt or certainly not deliberately!

I do hope you stick around and do your training and then can see it from our eyes.

We have had so many people who have bought professional products from auction sites. One I remember bought monomer and it turned out to be meths - same colour! One also bought monomer and it turned out to be water.

We have some fantastic official distributors in the UK who work their socks off to serve us as customers and if we dont support them, then they may disappear.

Please stay and enjoy the community spirit - it is there if you look.

Think of other scenarios in your life where you could ask how to do thinks cheaply - for example, going into a hair salon with a box colour and asking them how to use it - what do you think.

Please never confuse passion with some which is negative.

I'm a fairly newbie too. Like i said on another post, chill honey bun! Read and read and re-read someones post without attatching emotions to it and you will see it is not harsh/rude. If someone wants to be harsh/rude they directly will be and you will not miss it! Don't give up. There are bucketfulls of advice on here. Suck that bottom lip in and keep going (and i mean that in the nicest way possible!) :D

I'm totally with you on how you feel.

I joined this site because it might offer advice etc. My first post in the intro section, said that I was going to be buying a kit from NSI and that I wasn't a professional but wanted it to try and do my own nails. I also said that if I could get funding, I'd love to do a course and become a professional.

I've no intention of buying back street products, I've no intention of fooling people into thinking I'm qualified and going out doing their nails.

I've done previous craft courses and held all certs for soap making, I was on a forum and regularly offered help and advice. You could tell some people had no intention of following legislative guidelines, but I still offered help.

My thread last night where I asked the best way to practice....well, lets just say, during the replies, I went from going outside to sob, to coming back in and writing a nasty reply, which I then thought childish and deleted, then decided I wasn't going to order any nail stuff at all and would sit and bite all my natural nails off!

I've waited several weeks to get the money together, its actually money I got for my birthday that just vanished on housekeeping etc. I got the money today, its in the bank, but right now, I'm back on the pc, hovering on NSI's website, still not knowing what to do.

There are ways of answering questions and there are things called diplomacy and tact, seems some people don't think about that before replying to threads.

Maybe this is a site JUST for professionals, because it seems to me, if you aren't qualified or can't afford the course yet, you aren't welcome.

While it doesn't warrant anyone being rude, this is "the Salon Professionals Community". Unless you are a professional or budding student, I am not sure what value this site has.

I can understand where your post is coming from, but I think some of the posts people are referring to re qualifications and kits is due to the fact there are so many people out there offering services when not qualified, and as professionals people want to make sure their advice is going out to the right people, to those on courses or qualifying or intending to do courses etc.

I honestly don't think any malice is meant.

I am not yet qualified, very soon as my course has just finished and I'm waiting on my certificate, but I joined here asking for advice and help. I read the forums thoroughly and always searched for a similar question to what I wanted to post before going ahead and creating a new thread.

Remember some of the Geeks on here have been advising many for years and have often seem the same questions pop up time and time again and it is so obvious no search has been carried out. That must get quite tiresome, don't you think?

Don't think I'm getting at anyone here, I am simply trying to put both sides across.

As a newbie I did think some people were abrupt and rude and didn't really care for newbies and their questions and I often still do feel silly for asking questions that I do.

I think the advice is to read and re-read the posts, remember they don't have a tone so sarcasm can be lost or misread. Jokes may not be all that funny etc. I don't think anyone on here is out to hurt anyone elses feelings and all people want to do is help those that are in need of it. :D

Last edited:
Well, I will come back, but I just feel that I have to know loads of stuff beause my opinions wont count otherwise. I was just a bit taken aback by one member!

It has sort of knocked my confidence a bit. But after I do the course and I'm studying for my exam I will pop in.

Well, I will come back, but I just feel that I have to know loads of stuff beause my opinions wont count otherwise. I was just a bit taken aback by one member!

It has sort of knocked my confidence a bit. But after I do the course and I'm studying for my exam I will pop in.

Anyway even if someone was being rude to you its no reason to give up and go.Im not sure where abouts in your life you are but if you intend to run a business and deal with clients suppliers etc it can help to toughen up a bit,wise up a bit and learn to make things work for you.

I know, but don't feel like that. God, my confidence has been so knocked by things but I pick myself back up and come back on here again, and I don't just mean by people's replies.

I am having realy trouble with my silk overlays and I keep asking questions that seem really silly to me and the answers have been explained but I'm still having the same problem - very confidence knocking!

How about doing a search for the things you need to know and then maybe this will make you feel better knowing that someone else has probably had the same questions/experience as you. Plus if you really do have to ask the questions you'll have a little more knowledge that you can add to your thread without feeling quite so un-knowledgable?

I still feel embarrassed asking questions, but if I don't how am I ever going to learn?

I'm totally with you on how you feel.

I joined this site because it might offer advice etc. My first post in the intro section, said that I was going to be buying a kit from NSI and that I wasn't a professional but wanted it to try and do my own nails. I also said that if I could get funding, I'd love to do a course and become a professional.

I've no intention of buying back street products, I've no intention of fooling people into thinking I'm qualified and going out doing their nails.

I've done previous craft courses and held all certs for soap making, I was on a forum and regularly offered help and advice. You could tell some people had no intention of following legislative guidelines, but I still offered help.

My thread last night where I asked the best way to practice....well, lets just say, during the replies, I went from going outside to sob, to coming back in and writing a nasty reply, which I then thought childish and deleted, then decided I wasn't going to order any nail stuff at all and would sit and bite all my natural nails off!

I've waited several weeks to get the money together, its actually money I got for my birthday that just vanished on housekeeping etc. I got the money today, its in the bank, but right now, I'm back on the pc, hovering on NSI's website, still not knowing what to do.

There are ways of answering questions and there are things called diplomacy and tact, seems some people don't think about that before replying to threads.

Maybe this is a site JUST for professionals, because it seems to me, if you aren't qualified or can't afford the course yet, you aren't welcome.

I was one of those who contributed to your thread last night and the only thing anyone was guilty of was not giving you the answer you wanted. As qualified professionals we will not advise those who have no intention of training and we never will. Sorry if that doesn't suit you. The same applies to those who ask about buying cheaply including buying from auction sites.

If we are so unfriendly to newbies how come so many stick around? So many that were newbies are now established members, including the likes of me - 6 years ago in my case.

Use the knowledge that is here in the spirit in which it is offered and you'll learn more than you can imagine. Be closed-minded and you'll spend a lot of time in a huff reading the wrong things into seinsible advice.

JMHO as someone who has helped many newbies over a long period of time.

There is a big difference between those that are intentionally rude and meaning to be cutting etc and those who are just shooting straight from the hip and giving good REAL sound advice (that may not be what the poster wants to hear if it doesn't suit them or is critical). NO ONE on this site posts with the intention of being rude.

The retorts or answers back from some are actually meant to be rude and meant to be cutting and in fact can be far more rude than anything they ever thought was said to them, because they have done so intentionally.

Just something to think about.

See, again - Im being told that Im weak and Im giving up. All I said was I will come back when I am qualified, so maybe I can see it from the 100% professional view, and I will be able to contribute more to the site, as I will have some knowledge myself.

And - no. Some people GEEG, are just rude people. They may not think they are, but they say it in a rude manner.

There is one thing saying "Ugh your outfit is horrible" and another saying "I don't think that outfit suits you, here is some advice to improve ....."

One good thing to come out of this post though, is the people that have PM'd me and said that the same thing happened to them when they were newbies. So its obviously not just me.

Your opinion isn't discounted because you're a non-professional.

You would seriously bite off all of your natural nails due to not hearing the replies you wanted to hear on your thread?

Both of the people on this thread who feel 'hard done by' are both trying to use professional products without training and think that it's ok to do that. Both come on to the site looking for help and advice with using said pro products. Both are advised that training is the way to go.

What would your hairdresser say if you went in their salon with professional hair products and asked them how to apply it to your own hair? Something tells me that you'd like their answer even less than the help and advice you've had from the professionals on Salon Geek.

Take this site and learn from it, learn from the professionals on here, take a course and do it properly first time around instead of wasting your money and then having to spend out even more to get it right second or third time around!

...and most of all, enjoy learning and training :)

Both of the people on this thread who feel 'hard done by' are both trying to use professional products without training and think that it's ok to do that. Both come on to the site looking for help and advice with using said pro products. Both are advised that training is the way to go.

I didn't actually. I am doing training in August, and Im not using any exclusive professional products until I get that qualification. All Im using is OPI nail varnish, which I have been using for the past 10 years.

See, again - Im being told that Im weak and Im giving up. All I said was I will come back when I am qualified, so maybe I can see it from the 100% professional view, and I will be able to contribute more to the site, as I will have some knowledge myself.

And - no. Some people GEEG, are just rude people. They may not think they are, but they say it in a rude manner.

There is one thing saying "Ugh your outfit is horrible" and another saying "I don't think that outfit suits you, here is some advice to improve ....."

One good thing to come out of this post though, is the people that have PM'd me and said that the same thing happened to them when they were newbies. So its obviously not just me.

Well fortunately your opinion is not everyones as is evidenced by all the posts right here on this thread actually advising YOU to chill, to not be silly, to actually read posts without adding a tone that does not exist, to read posts and learn from this site, to put something in to the community and you will get something out of it. Allot of people have said allot of things to encourage you. The decision you make is up to you and the rest move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back