As of next week I could have no job :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessClaire

Reaction score
hi guys i have just finished college in june and fallen straight into a new job as a graduate stylist in a salon. i was literally thrown in the deep end with clients which in a way is a good thing because i learn but i found myself making a few mistakes...2 clients came back for her highlights redone, one client didnt like the way i cut her hair and it takes me a bit longer than the 45 minute slot to do a cut and blowdry. i thought everything was going ok i mean i was no where near hitting my target but i have only been there 5 weeks..he sat me down yesterday and looked through my figures and told me he couldnt afford to keep me if i am not bringing in the clients. i tried my hardest i stood outside and handed out leaflets but i dont know what he expects of me. if he wanted more from me why didnt he hire a experienced stylist for the same wage which is minimum wage then he wouldnt have had this hassel and wouldnt have made me feel like rubbish for not being good enough. he kept bringing up my capability and that my skills need more help but he knew that when he hired me or else i would have been a stylist not a junior stylist. i dont think business is doing very well for him it is always quiet then some days it can be very busy.

he mentioned about how last week i managed to talk a client out of having a full head hightlights into a t-section because it was cheaper and said that is not very businessy because i need to make money. in the end of the day the lady never wore her hair up so why pay an extra £20 for something nobody will see. im not going to stand there and diddle the woman thats not the type of person i am but hes bringing this all up and i feel worthless. i think he was going to let me go yesterday but i said all this and fought my corner now he is saying he will let me know the outcome on tuesday. i am preparing myself for the worst but i can not believe how unfair he is being if i need more help isnt it my employers duty to give me it? any advice would be great thanks :)

hey! i think he is wrong to be having a go at your skills as he obv knew what he was gettin b4 signing you on, so a bit unfair to have a go now, really he should be helping you to proceed and teaching you new things and building your confidence therefore you'll build a client base
although the highlights incident is a different matter, our job is to sell sell sell, i know what you mean about the lady saving cash but ultimatly this is his businesss he is out to earn money and pay your wage,, some salons have figures you have to hit and by talking clients out of treatments you would never earn the money to meet your target,,,, so you'd be OUT!!
i work mobile and am constantly trying to offer more to my services (to earn more money) imagine the cash was going in your pocket...
sorry to sound harsh, but your aim as an employee is to get as much cash for you salon as poss, therefore commision comes in and you will reep the rewards!
do you not have to sell products?? a prime example of pushing somethng on a client even if you know they don't really need it,
i think the best thing to do is just ask to speak with him and apolagise for the way you handled it, explain your new to the job and will try to gain more confidence to retail yourself!!(as a hairdresser of course lol):)
also clients do like when you give them good advice even if it will cost a little more, and if she had the full haed foils, she would of been a regular client every six weeks having this.. kerching!!
give him a ring before he makes the fina decision
good luck xxx

Ithink he is being a little harsh giving you just 5 weeks, having said that, I would probably sack someone for talking a client out of a full head and into a tline, as I would think it was laziness. As for throwing you in at the "deep end", you are a fully qualified hairdresser, and that means that you are able to do hair. Whilst managers make some allowances for young hairdressers (eg timings) the fact remains that you have been employed to do a job.
Sadly recessions are harsh, and if you are showing no signs of being able to build a clientelle and bring in more moeney than your wage, the salon owner doesnt have the luxury of giving you another 6 months and a host of expensive courses to help you.
Have you got friends and family that can become your salon clients? Can you increase your retailing to improve your client spend? Are there evening courses available at your college to improve your skills?
If you can put together an action plan to show your boss how you can improve, and how quickly, he may well give you a second chance.

thanks for your honesty i guess i do need to be a bit more business minded. i have sold a few products but i myself am still getting used to them because the salon i worked in before when i was at college used different products. just got to see how tuesday goes i guess. he was saying to me that he could get a junior who has just come out of level 2 put them on level 3 and still pay them £95 a week no matter what their age is..is this right? i still cant get my head around this situation id understand if he had of sat me down before and warned me about getting more clients but this is the first time he has mentioned it

Hes probably having hard times and has to review the business - looking at it on paper - who would you choose to go? All you can do is your best , as for the t- line id understand it if - youi were running behind , she didnt need a full head ,and if it would have been better for her hair- all together or any other reason you should have done it .- Just make sure you are seen and get coffees do reception when your not busy - at least then you cant be called lazy( def-lazy-back late from lunch -shopping trips in middle of afternoon-lots of fag/coffee breaks ,standing around chatting over clients)
Good luck - keep on the good side of him and really go for it , then at least he will give you a good referance . Will you get to work on TuesdaY? do you have to work out a notice?

yes the level 3 thing on £95 is correct,,, crap i know!!
just ask him to let you proove yourself, i'm sure you can do it! if anyone phones for an appointment talk them into having it with you and make them have the works, once you've done it once it's easy. would your boss not reduce the price of a cut with you for a limited time and then when you have them in the seat suggest a colour or would they like a few curls after the blow wave,,,, all adding up to more services,,, = more money! and your job!!
good luck, just grab the bull by the horns and have confidence in yourself!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxx

Hi, from very the beginning you have been messed about ,
but at least you have gained a lot of valuable salon experience , if the worst happens and you lose your job you could perhaps take this time to gain more hairdressing experience......
I am not too sure if you said you are a level 2 or level 3 hairdresser ? but if you are level 2 then perhaps you could go back and do your Level 3 as the time would be right to enroll in College ,
I do hope he keeps you on though :hug: x minky

Latest posts

Back