Asthma medication and lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise G

Reaction score
A new client came in the other day for a new set of gel nails. She never had enhancements before. Usually I ask newcomers about medical conditions and medication, this time I only asked if she had any allergies. She said 'no'.
She called me 4 days later, saying one nail broke off. I booked her for a free repair.

I was amazed to see extensive lifting on most of the other nails at the side walls. As I never had this happening with the gel enhancements before after such a short period (not even with my worst nail biters), I asked her if she was on any medication. It turned out she had severe asthma and is taking medication twice a day.

I was taught that this can cause lifting and told her she may not be able to keep her enhancements due to her condition.
Does anybody know what to do. Is fiberglass an option?
Thanks for any advise!!

Louise
P.S. Yes, I did my prep right and no, she did not pick at her nails ('cross her heart!')

I also have a client with severe asthma who had quite bad lifting following her last really bad bout and increased recommended dosage.

We put it down to her inhaler and she was also put on a course of steriods for 3 months, every time she gets this bad and they perscribe the steriods and increased inhaler use, we have terrible problems with her enhancements lifting and her natural nails breaking constantly :cry:

I asked her to discuss it with her doctor at the hospital and they told her there was absolutely no connection between the two and that I was spinning her a line because I was doing bad nails :smack: :eek: Fortunately she doesn't agree with the Doctor and knows I'm a good technician, but I was livid :rolleyes:

Not much help in answering your question with a categoric yes or no, but I believe asthma treatments can have an effect on enhancements but I can't prove it and certain doctors disagree

HTH
Trin
xx

Thanks for your reasurance (don't know if I spelled this right). At least now I know I'm not the only one having this problems!!

May try fibreglass on her. I Will let you know how this works (if she comes back at all....). Did you do gel or L&P on your client?

We've tried everything on her - I use Creative L&P, Brisa Gel and Fabric#, but they all go the same way :|

Try it on your client, it's got to be worth a shot.......nothing ventured, nothing gained........let me know how you go :hug:

Trin
xx

I have Asthma and am quite often on medication but my nails don't lift .
Is she looking after her nails? does she put them in water ,detergent for long periods of time :rolleyes: some clients just don't bother to look after them did you explain the homecare ,give her a leaflet?.

Ruby :)

Yes, I always give my clients a leaflet and also lecture tell them about how to take care of their nails. They may not read it or listen to me, but nothing you can do about that :rolleyes:

My client is using an inhalor twice a day to keep her breathing right, and has additional medication (don't know what) in case of an attack.

She told me she didn't do anything stressful to the nails and, honestly, I believe her. She even told me she had used a coin to open cans (tried it myself, but don't see how she did it..... :lol: ). Her natural nails were very thin and brittle.

Do you have L&P or gel nails?
Do you do L&P on your clients, and if so, doesn't the liquid bother you, I mean with your asthma?? Just curious...

Louise G

I mostly do L & P I work in it all day and it doesent affect my asthma .
I use Creative and Tammy Taylor both are excellent products . After every client I dispose of the used tissues wipes Ect outside in the bin so I keep odours down to a minimum.
I do though consider them to be safer to my health than some other (cheaper brands )that I have used in the past.

Ruby :)

Latest posts

Back