Bad experience with firework

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn74pink

Reaction score
Tonight everything was going fine hot dogs, drinks were being handed out, fireworks were been lit and watched one after the other no problems until the very last one. The firework was lit has normal, and all safety regulations were followed. Then the firework instead of doing what it was supposed do, it just exploded and shot up the garden and into the house everyone ran into the house to get away and managed to shut the patio to stop the rest coming in, but then we was faced with the rest going off in the house, we was Terrified. We managed to get out the way just about, the curtains have been burnt and there's holes everywhere, wallpaper damaged and the carpets ruined, windows burnt, but to be honest that doesn't matter, because the only thing that mattered was getting out of the way and stopping the house setting on fire. My six year old niece was distraught, but after a few cuddles she ok now.
At the end of the day it was probably just one of those things that happen and we was all very lucky.

"Just be careful when your having fireworks"

Dawn

Dawn, what a horrible experience, hope you're okay now. I really don't like fireworks, they are so dangerous, had a bad experience as a child and still won't go to any displays - just watch them from my bedroom windows!!

OMG!!! How scary! Glad you're all unhurt - but what a nightmare, I bet you're all still a bit shaky - and you've got to sort the damage :cry:

Poor you :hug: :hug: x

Oh thats awful, last year someone i know had a similar thing happen but the firework travelled up the garden and up her leg before exploding!! she spent the rest of the night up the hospital and thankfully was ok after a couple of weeks. I said to my husband last night that it would be nice to have people round and all buy fireworks, but this sort of thing, plus the thought of setting light to all that money, makes me think i'll just go to the organised one where you get great fireworks for about £5 per head and youre reasonably safe...... glad you are all ok even if your house is a little worse for wear XX

Thats horrible Im glad everyone is safe and unhurt. We had a load of dodgy fireworks last year.They went a quarter of the way up and then did a 90 degree turn and went heading for our neighbours gardens. All we saw were sparks going off everywhere, luckily they werent in their gardens at the time, but it was scary and has put me off fireworks for life I think.

This reminds me of when I was a little girl on firework night, my Dad was doing his usual demo which was always a good reason to stay clear but when my mum was getting one of my brothers ready for bed, a firework dropped out from his coat - it aparently had gone down the back of his coat - head first! It just doesn't bear thinking about, I think organised displays are the way to go.

I am glad none of you were hurt but it is very scary too.

Cathy

I am sorry to hear of your awful evening and I too know the trauma that fireworks can cause. I was hit in the stomach by a rocket as a child and am still very fearful to this day. I took my kids to the display on our local park I don't ever want them to experience the trauma I went through.

omg that is so terrible! i m glad you are all ok, but i bet emotionally your not! :hug:

I hate fire works they scare me to death!:Scared: i dont know why, but i have never liked them.

round my way it sounds like a war zone. in gillingham they are thinking of banning them. by the sounds of it they are being set of against garage doors, they are the loudest fireworks i have evr heard!

I think there should be a ban. the only fire works allowed to go off are for organised events, like at schools etc, and no one should be able to buy fireworks for personal use no matter how old they are or anything, they are just too dangerous to play with! Hell, im even afraid of bloody sparklers! now how much of a baby am i?!:o

Your right about the emotional side of things, My friend said to me tonight come to an organised fireworks. So i thought well ok maybe it will help conquer my fear, how wrong was I, I was there less than ten minutes got scared and ended up running out of there and bursting into tears. I just went home after that and stayed in. I'm never going by fireworks again thats it for me now.

luckybird21 said:
omg that is so terrible! i m glad you are all ok, but i bet emotionally your not! :hug:

I hate fire works they scare me to death!:Scared: i dont know why, but i have never liked them.

round my way it sounds like a war zone. in gillingham they are thinking of banning them. by the sounds of it they are being set of against garage doors, they are the loudest fireworks i have evr heard!

I think there should be a ban. the only fire works allowed to go off are for organised events, like at schools etc, and no one should be able to buy fireworks for personal use no matter how old they are or anything, they are just too dangerous to play with! Hell, im even afraid of bloody sparklers! now how much of a baby am i?!:o

dawn74pink said:
Your right about the emotional side of things, My friend said to me tonight come to an organised fireworks. So i thought well ok maybe it will help conquer my fear, how wrong was I, I was there less than ten minutes got scared and ended up running out of there and bursting into tears. I just went home after that and stayed in. I'm never going by fireworks again thats it for me now.
aww honey, that is so terrible, and im sure this is exactly how your neice feels too! maybe we should all start a petition to ban home use of fire works?

luckybird21 said:
aww honey, that is so terrible, and im sure this is exactly how your neice feels too! maybe we should all start a petition to ban home use of fire works?
I totally agree with that, the things that I have read in this thread, made me relise just how dangerous they are. Also the effect that they have on people as a whole.

Really glad you are all ok after your terrible experience. :(

God was obviously watching over you all thanks be

x-x

First of all let me just say.... I'm glad you are ok!

Ok I'm going to have one of my rants now.... I have VERY strong opinions on fireworks, I'm a bit cynical about it granted and you can neg rep me til the cows come home but... It is sunday night, so thats 2 nights AFTER bonfire night and there are still fireworks going off, as there has been for the past 4 weeks, so.... as a cat owner am I supposed to make sure my cats are in every night for the month upto and past bonfire night? is every parent with a sleeping baby supposed to make sure their children can get a peaceful nights sleep somehow during this time also?? I am absolutely sure the fire and hospital services have much better and important things to be doing than looking after and saving people who wanted to watch some 'pretty lights'. Don't get me wrong I'm all up for organised events which granted can sometimes go wrong BUT far less likely and often than every Tom Dick or Harry going to buy legal explosives from their local shop! It's about time government stopped the public buying fireworks, for the rest of the year we tell the children 'don't play with fire' and then they watch us do just that every year! How are loud fireworks any less of a noise menace than a loud sterio??? We all expect it on bonfire night, it's our heritage, but should we really have to put up with it for the weeks surrounding it??? I don't think so! There rant over! Grrrrr J xx

I am not keen on fireworks, and now that I have a 10 month old baby it annoys me to hell when they are going off all evening. I stood outside my back door last night and was watching a neighbough's display from acoss the way (it was lovely from a distance) until one soared right down and landed at my feet - finished burning, but it scared me to death. I quickly went inside cursing the darn things.

You must have been petrified one going off in your home, you are so fortunate that nobody was injured. I hope you get your home sorted soon.

Regards Jen

I don't disagree with fireworks entirely, but I do disagree with the availability of them. Many of the big packs sold in high street stores often contain fireworks that are totally unsuitable for use in your back garden. There are rockets and candles that require a minimum of a 25 metre distance and upwards between where they are set and the people watching, and yet they are available to any Tom Dick and Harry to set off wherever they want. Some of the huge rockets I've seen this year in places like Homebase are unbelievable. I think that fireworks should still be available commercially, but on a much smaller scale - little fountains and sparklers, but not huge rockets.
I also think there should be a time limit and curfew: not letting them off on weeknights, and not letting them off any later than say 9 or 10 o clock for a start. Afterall, it gets dark at 4 o clock these days, why wait till 11 to start setting them off? And also that they are only allowed to be set off over say a four day period. Obviously they can't be banned all year round as people want them for big parties and weddings, but over the bonfire night period there should only be set days when they're allowed, for the sake of the sanity of parents of young children and pet owners (and their pets! My cat is going mental at all these loud noises!).
And those stupid bangers that kids get hold of should be banned.
But that's my rant over!
Lol x

When it comes to fireworks I have grown into a complete bah humbug, even responsible adults can have accidents with a faulty firework but the sad accidents that will have occurred over the last few days & often happen all year round because fireworks are so readily available just make me feel its time to stop letting the public buy them.

Its totally uncontrollable & causes so much inconvenience & tragedy that to me its just not worth it.
To quote bimbogeri "And those stupid bangers that kids get hold of should be banned." they are banned, and have been for a long time but the fact that they are still available proves what a dangerous industry this is when its available to the public. Bad companies will still import these fireworks & sell them if they can get away with it, I was even told in my hairdressers the other day that illegal fireworks are being made in my town.

If it was down to me I would make it illegal to buy & let off fireworks unless you are a proper pyrotechnics company & there should be checks made on all these companies. Then if you want a huge firework display for your wedding or little Johnny's birthday party hire a company who know what they are doing.

& until that point they should make a contribution from the vast profits on fireworks sales to the firebrigade & hospitals to help with the costs of clearing up the damage.

But thats just my opinion as a bah humbug :biggrin:

Jo Jo said:
First of all let me just say.... I'm glad you are ok!

Ok I'm going to have one of my rants now.... I have VERY strong opinions on fireworks, I'm a bit cynical about it granted and you can neg rep me til the cows come home but... It is sunday night, so thats 2 nights AFTER bonfire night and there are still fireworks going off, as there has been for the past 4 weeks, so.... as a cat owner am I supposed to make sure my cats are in every night for the month upto and past bonfire night? is every parent with a sleeping baby supposed to make sure their children can get a peaceful nights sleep somehow during this time also?? I am absolutely sure the fire and hospital services have much better and important things to be doing than looking after and saving people who wanted to watch some 'pretty lights'. Don't get me wrong I'm all up for organised events which granted can sometimes go wrong BUT far less likely and often than every Tom Dick or Harry going to buy legal explosives from their local shop! It's about time government stopped the public buying fireworks, for the rest of the year we tell the children 'don't play with fire' and then they watch us do just that every year! How are loud fireworks any less of a noise menace than a loud sterio??? We all expect it on bonfire night, it's our heritage, but should we really have to put up with it for the weeks surrounding it??? I don't think so! There rant over! Grrrrr J xx
beleive me hun, i dont think anyone will be giving you any neg feed back, as im sure most agree! Last night they were still going off in gillingham at 12.30! there is no need! it sounds like a war zone out there. worse still they have bben going off since september and will carry on thru to the new year! barr sparklers, no one but professionals should be able to buy them! Only organised firework evenings should be allowed. and why they have to go on for so long baffles me! it gets dark at around 4.30 pm, so the event could start at say 5.30-6 and go on for an hour, and therefore not be going on all night.

they scare me to death, had no bad experience just get a bit jumpy, hey maybe i was in a war in a previous life!

but as i said earlier we should all start petitions in our areas and take them to our local mp.

Latest posts

Back