Bad shellac salon - should I report them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpina

Reaction score
There is a salon near mine that I hear terrible things about. Their shellac is only lasting a few hours on clients before it wipes off and this is a best case scenario. We get a lot of new clients that have been there and now come to us for shellac. At first I thought they were probably using a cheap knock-off of other brand and claiming it to be shellac.

I've asked my clients all the questions about whether the bottles look the same as mine, is the lamp the same colour, etc. I've learnt that she uses all cnd products and lamp and cures all coats for the correct time. I actually saw one clients nails, she came straight from this salon to me and had me remove and re-do her shellac. It looked like Iced Cappucino so I could be pretty sure she wasn't using a knock-off. I couldn't understand what she was doing so wrong other than not applying the shellac thinly enough to cure.

Today I was talking to a client who has been coming to me for a few months now about her experience with this salon and we had a bit of time to play around with some nail art ideas and she was looking at all of my products. It turns out this salon uses normal cnd polish in the old style bottles and cures this under her lamp then uses shellac top coat over the polish :eek:. According to her the cnd polish is rubbish and she's going to get a different brand to use with her 'shellac' so it will set properly under the top coat.

I'm furious and want to report her because its giving such a bad name to shellac and clients may not want to try it again after going to her. All new clients leave my salon with a beautiful shellac manicure and a firm lecture on the shellac certifiction program and the agreement we have to accept when using shellac. It just bothers me so much because clients know how to spot fake shellac but hers is genuine cnd product that just isn't being used correctly.

Can I report her to cnd or should I contact Pacific. Pacific are our Australian distributers but salons don't deal with them at all unless for training information. We have to buy direct from the wholesalers but I don't think they would be the ones to speak to about this

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time. They're obviously losing clients and you're gaining them :D

That is appalling.
I feel sorry for the clients who will pay the money for what is really a file and polish.
I suppose on the up side though, you will gain their clients as they know how good yours is and that it is actually shellac on their nails!
Just can't believe some people and what they dare do!

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

It turns out this salon uses normal cnd polish in the old style bottles and cures this under her lamp then uses shellac top coat over the polish .

- I nearly just spat my tea out everywhere! :O What the !!!

Nuts, nuts nuts!

I can understand why you are furious, I think I would leave them to it though.

Her misfortune is your gain, she will not last so I would think about the long term, the fact that she cant perform treatments correctly etc, people will just stop going. Shocking!

Last edited:
I see the danger where people are put off Shellac for life as they think it is cack, when in deed they weren't even given Shellac in the first place, it has a knock on effect.

Follow your heart about deciding whether or not to report them, perhaps sleep on it for a few days and then decide once you are less mad.

Jaqueline you are right, I should sleep on it for a few days. Usually I'd agree with the above about letting them be. I hear and see many questionable practices from other techs and usually just ignore it but this is bothering me because even I was fooled into thinking it was genuine shellac when I saw it on the clients nails.

It's Saturday night now so I guess I'll talk to the girls at work next week and we'll decide whether this is something we need to do something about.

Latest posts

Back