Balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! It's quite difficult to do the back yourself but I know the feeling about not trusting another person! I used 6/7 mixed with 7/73 and a wee touch of 8/34 as recommended by a couple geeks on here x

i love balayage too! we do quite a bit of it in my salon. i've been taught the L'Oreal method and the Goldwell method. i only use L'Oreal Platinium Plus or Goldwell Silklift bc the texture is very smooth like pudding. anything with grit just doesn't spread as nicely on the hair shaft and you get "skips" in the highlight.

at the same time, i think there's a client for balayage and a client for foils.

i think traditional balayage is fantastic for levels 6 and up, who don't need any gray coverage. i say this bc the lightener only has to lighten 2 levels to get past the orange stage which is achievable most of the time.

doing balayage on darker hair can be tough since the hair has to lift 3-7 levels. without the incubation provided by foils, the bleach dries out before you can lift past that dreaded orange stage. i'm not saying it can't be done - it's just less fail proof. sure, u can tone it with a pearl blue, but once it starts to fade, that orange is gonna rear its ugly head and i'm way too busy to deal with adjustments :)

on levels 5 and below, i prefer to use Beth Minardi's American Baliage method, which combines the variegated, natural, rooty look of traditional balayage, and the "insurance" and control of foils. i think it's ingenius, and u can simultaneously lowlight and cover grey. working on random angles, feathering/working away from the root, and never bringing a lowlight all the way to the ends can really mimic the balayage look, but with more dimension.

Beth Minardi and Sherry Ratay Color Lecture part 1 - YouTube here she starts demo'ing it at 4:00. it's awesome!

i love balayage too! we do quite a bit of it in my salon. i've been taught the L'Oreal method and the Goldwell method. i only use L'Oreal Platinium Plus or Goldwell Silklift bc the texture is very smooth like pudding. anything with grit just doesn't spread as nicely on the hair shaft and you get "skips" in the highlight.

at the same time, i think there's a client for balayage and a client for foils.

i think traditional balayage is fantastic for levels 6 and up, who don't need any gray coverage. i say this bc the lightener only has to lighten 2 levels to get past the orange stage which is achievable most of the time.

doing balayage on darker hair can be tough since the hair has to lift 3-7 levels. without the incubation provided by foils, the bleach dries out before you can lift past that dreaded orange stage. i'm not saying it can't be done - it's just less fail proof. sure, u can tone it with a pearl blue, but once it starts to fade, that orange is gonna rear its ugly head and i'm way too busy to deal with adjustments :)

on levels 5 and below, i prefer to use Beth Minardi's American Baliage method, which combines the variegated, natural, rooty look of traditional balayage, and the "insurance" and control of foils. i think it's ingenius, and u can simultaneously lowlight and cover grey. working on random angles, feathering/working away from the root, and never bringing a lowlight all the way to the ends can really mimic the balayage look, but with more dimension.

Beth Minardi and Sherry Ratay Color Lecture part 1 - YouTube here she starts demo'ing it at 4:00. it's awesome!

I completely agree with this , it is definately for certain clients and not for everyone .

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I absolutely LOVE balayage, and would love it if most of my foil highlights converted to balayage eventually!

I took balayage class earlier in the year and it really made me think about the way I colour in a different light. After years of foiling, I felt like I was becoming robotic, but with balayage I feel more free to be creative just like I am painting!

But just like foil highlights, learning balayage takes practice so for me it is my main focus at the moment to master the technique. =)
Who did you do you course with? Would you recommend the course? Thanks

Latest posts

Back