Bare minerals make up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will PM you so people don't think I have ulterior motives advertising a competitor product :)

Could you pm me details to, please.
My daughter uses bare minerals. Has done for year or so. I bought her some for christmas. Oh my.. I had no idea of the cost, lol
I was looking at buying some of the basics for me. As her skin looks glowing. However i would prefer to try an alternative now.

thanks lol

It is not in there as a preservative; it's there to give a silky sheen to the skin.
A quick google would show many, many articles about what it is and what it's used for.

Bismuth Oxychloride - The Secrets Revealed! : , Natural Mineral Makeup

I would suggest that an essential part of any therapist's reference library is the following book, so that you are better informed about what you are using on your clients.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miladys-Cos...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325839060&sr=1-2

It is up to you to educate your clients and you can't do that if don't understand what you're using.

It is not in there as a preservative; it's there to give a silky sheen to the skin.
A quick google would show many, many articles about what it is and what it's used for.

Bismuth Oxychloride - The Secrets Revealed! : , Natural Mineral Makeup

I would suggest that an essential part of any therapist's reference library is the following book, so that you are better informed about what you are using on your clients.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miladys-Cos...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325839060&sr=1-2

It is up to you to educate your clients and you can't do that if don't understand what you're using.

Sorry Linda I made an assumption (it was so late at night) - and we all know what that means lol. I personally think anyone with known sensitivity needs to be careful hat they're putting on their skin, for me personally it was never a problem in all the years I used it. I feel it's a matter of opinion as to heather it's good or not because everyone's skin is different and no matter what a therapist decides to use it is t going to suit everyone. For example, I swear by Elemis products, recommended them to a colleague and now feel awful because they've made her skin breakout (yes, still after a good 6 months of use!)

My personal favorite mineral make up is BM Beauty owned by 2 lovely ladies called Laura and Kimberly. It's made in Scotland and is gorgeous, plus I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain Bismuth Oxychloride, it's cruelty-free (carries the leaping bunny -YAY!) and is suitable for vegans too

Sam
xoxo

I've been using Lily Lolo for the last few weeks. It's really nice, much bigger pot, half the price of Bare Minerals and the Kabuki brush is lovely. It's not natural hairs, but it's so soft and makes the powder go on really nice. My Bare Minerals brush went brittle, the hairs snapped, after about 6 months. I used the BM shampoo for it but it still went manky. For £20 a brush I'd expect it to last a few years.

I didn't know salons were doing this aswell, that's made me warm up to it a bit, I don't feel like I'm cheating :cool:

I trained in BM on my MUA course and as I have said, love the results, your not cheating!

I think this thread is getting a bit off topic now. I really endorse the products i use and get bridal bookings by educating Brides to be on how good BM is for their skin.

I don't want my clients googling BM, finding this thread and thinking the products I use are harmful.

You have a duty of care to your clients. The fact is that SOME skins are irritated by Bismuth Oxychloride, and your clients have a right to know this. You don't have to promote that fact but if you know your client has a sensitive skin you really ought to let them know.

i tried this about a year ago, i liked how it looked on my skin initially but it slid off through the day as i have very oily skin and it made me itch like mad! i just wanted to claw my face off! so thumbs down for me im afraid!:sad:

I've been using Lily Lolo for the last few weeks. It's really nice, much bigger pot, half the price of Bare Minerals and the Kabuki brush is lovely. It's not natural hairs, but it's so soft and makes the powder go on really nice. My Bare Minerals brush went brittle, the hairs snapped, after about 6 months. I used the BM shampoo for it but it still went manky. For £20 a brush I'd expect it to last a few years.

I have converted to Lily Lolo and must admit I too find it much better, the brushes don't cast the same as the BM do and it doesn't itch my skin which sometimes BM did. The coverage is great and it's affordable for my clients to buy. I was hooked on BM for a few years and wouldn't have said a word against it but I find Lily Lolo much better.

I have never thought myself to have sensitive skin but I tried the Bare Minerals when it first came out long before the infomercials. I bought it from my esthetician. I was seeing her for treatment of severe cystic acne. The make up was wonderful. When she closed and moved to another sate I couldn't find the make up anywhere! I was about 15 at the time. I was in my early twenties when the infomercial came out and I got so excited I bought it immediately. When it finally arrived I use it and was shocked to feel an awful burning and see my face turn red and hot to the touch. I tried to wash the brushes a d even used my fingers. It was so iriatating to my skin that I had little scale scab like splotches everywhere. I am apparently very alergic to that bismuth stuff and I dont care where it falls on the list I wont use a product that has it. I use Jane Iredale now and I really like it. My skin has improved allot since I started using it. I use tons of different brands on my clients though it depends on their skin a d the coverage I want. I am glad that Catherine shared the knowledge she has with us it sure made sense of my experience. Plus just because a make up looks pretty and we dont notice the chemicals damaging our skin doesn't mean they are safe! Day after day they sink into you and frankly I dont want to expose my body to any unnecessary chemicals in the name of beauty. It wont be beautiful when your old and sick with toxins built up in your body. The pure brands from health food stores are usually cheaper too!

I liked it very much when I first personally started using it, but after about a year I started to get the dreaded itchy face. At first it was just while I was sweating, exercising or in the sun, but then it developed and happened whenever I put it on. My skin went red and blotchy as well as itchy! I also seemed to get a Milia for the first time over that year.

Shame because I was a real fan. I moved to Jane Iredale which I love and have had no problems with. I have also stopped getting the Milia.
Also use Lili Lolo when I am feeling a bit broke and thats ok too.

I do love bare minerals but it does make my skin itch sometimes, especially in warm weather. i switched to Lily Lolo and i have to say not only is it a purer formulation, it looks and feels great on and its half the price!!! i'm also loving the fact that its cruelty free and a British company.

Latest posts

Back