Bare minerals make up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I am some kind of misery guts and going against everything everyone else has said, but, you asked, so... Bare Minerals is not as pure as it says it is. It's one of the most chemically-filled mineral makeups you can get. It USED to be very pure, but they changed the formula as they grew and became more of a highstreet/retail brand. This fundamental shift from their basic principles caused a big rift in the company, and another company was actually formed by some of the original founders of bare minerals to bring mineral makeup back to its pure and chemical-free roots.

I am surprised at some of the comments above as I know quite a few people who have sensitive skin and so have ended up having very bad reactions to it, including my best friend who was supposed to be having bare minerals as her bridal makeup.

I honestly am not trying to put them down for no reason, just sharing what I know.

Can I ask is there harsh chemicals in it that will damage the skin or does every ingredient have a reason? I don't mind using chemicals on my skin if their there for a reason, like the Dermalogica, but dont want anything thats going to cause problems! Can you please pm me too with the info :biggrin: xx

If it looks as good as you say it does, does it really matter what's in the pot??? As long as its not tested on animals.... My shampoo makes my hair smooth and keeps it healthy but i wouldn't stop using it just because it has chemicals in it!

I've used Bare Minerals for some time now and my skin has never looked brighter and better, if someone told me it had a couple of chemicals in it i wouldn't care a bit! My last foundation was obviously clogging up my skin so much that BM has been a real breath of fresh air. Everything out there has chemicals in it but the point is it looks good and it doesn't damage your skin. The best MUA's have a range of brands and don't stick to one range.

You shouldn't be put off just because BM retail in some dept stores, they are a well established brand which are used in salons and by professionals internationally.

x

I used it on my wedding day and iv neva lookd bak!

Sent from my E10i using SalonGeek

If it looks as good as you say it does, does it really matter what's in the pot??? As long as its not tested on animals.... My shampoo makes my hair smooth and keeps it healthy but i wouldn't stop using it just because it has chemicals in it!

I've used Bare Minerals for some time now and my skin has never looked brighter and better, if someone told me it had a couple of chemicals in it i wouldn't care a bit! My last foundation was obviously clogging up my skin so much that BM has been a real breath of fresh air. Everything out there has chemicals in it but the point is it looks good and it doesn't damage your skin. The best MUA's have a range of brands and don't stick to one range.

You shouldn't be put off just because BM retail in some dept stores, they are a well established brand which are used in salons and by professionals internationally.

x

I agree, I don't mind chemicals, I just need to know what kind of chemicals incase their undoing all my good work looking after my skin! By what I'm gathering though nobody has had a problem with their skin getting bad from this which is good.

I didn't know salons were doing this aswell, that's made me warm up to it a bit, I don't feel like I'm cheating :cool:

I feel like I am some kind of misery guts and going against everything everyone else has said, but, you asked, so... Bare Minerals is not as pure as it says it is. It's one of the most chemically-filled mineral makeups you can get. It USED to be very pure, but they changed the formula as they grew and became more of a highstreet/retail brand. This fundamental shift from their basic principles caused a big rift in the company, and another company was actually formed by some of the original founders of bare minerals to bring mineral makeup back to its pure and chemical-free roots.

I'd like to point out, this statement seems a bit inaccurate. Don't want to call you a liar Catherine, lol, because you have been very helpful to me, BUT going by the info supplied by the manufacturer you are talking about, Bare Escentuals / Bare Minerals actually isn't the most chemically filled mineral make up. It has one more ingrediant than Mineral Hygenics.

I am still going to give it a try though, see if it is as good as what I'm used to. Just don;t want people scare mongered into switching. :Scared:

MH-Compare.gif

I didnt like it either Suzanne.

I have an oily nose and whenever my nose would get shiney the colour would change and go quite orangey. I also found it wasnt lasting as long as my previous liquid foundation so I went back to that. Halfway through the day my face was a shiney mess lol. I wouldnt try another mineral foundation as I dont feel they were for me.

So it is as good as they say then! Dam lol! I feel like I'm betraying professional salon products! :Scared:

Are you taking about ID Bare Minerals? They are a professional range. They flew off the shelf in my last salon. Clients couldn't get enough of it. It's only been the last couple of years they've had concessions in department stores

xoxo

Bare minerals only have 5 ingredients in their products .xx

I bought Bare Minerals for my wedding make-up...

Didn't use it as I ended up with a make-up artist doing it.

During that time, I trained with Jane Iredale and have to say, JI is soooo much better.

The ingredients are such that it can be used post-op!!!

I now use Jane Iredale for my clients (or MAC)

My BM is in my make up bag and I can't wait to finish it so I can switch to JI, dont wanna throw it cos it is expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I am surprised at some of the comments above as I know quite a few people who have sensitive skin and so have ended up having very bad reactions to it, including my best friend who was supposed to be having bare minerals as her bridal makeup.

I honestly am not trying to put them down for no reason, just sharing what I know.

I totally disagree with you! you will find that it is definitely pure mineral!!!
Don't you think that it would be illegal to advertise wrongly! I have used this make-up for 4 yrs now, with a multitude of brides with different skin types! You have got to remember that if someone has problematic skin, that sometimes this will get worse before it looks better, it draws out impurities, and then heals... I have converted many, many people to Baremineral, they all love it! in fact a wish a had a quid for every person, then maybe a would be minted Lol! a know we all can't be happy, but it certainly works for me and all my clients hth

There is definitely Bismuth Oxychloride in it, which is responsible for much irritation on sensitive skins.
I don't have a pot in front of me but some mineral makeups have talc, and FD & C colours in them which are also irritants.
cozmeticlab minerals are absolutely pure, and I've yet to find anyone who's sensitive to it.

Orchid, you are welcome to disagree with me, but no, I will not "find that it is definitely pure mineral." I will find that it contains Bismuth Oxychloride. This is not opinion, it is fact. It doesn't make it a bad, evil product. It just makes it a potential irritant for some people. If your own experience has been a good one, then that's great.

As for creative advertising, unfortunately that happens in our industry all the time :( I think you know it's not illegal because, like me, you've probably never seen or heard a mainstream beauty ad in your entire life that does NOT ridiculously overplay the qualities of a product. Take the industry I work in, for example. A couple of tanning companies are out there telling people their tan is "100% organic." Clearly this is absolute nonsense as 70% of any tanning solution is going to be water, and organic water does not exist.

Katelisa, I didn't notice your post until now, but I'll reply via PM as I'd be interested to discuss with you what you're saying regarding different ingredients. But please note that the original poster came on here asking for any cons anyone may be aware of. I simply shared what I know. I was certainly not setting out to scare monger anyone :)

Orchid, you are welcome to disagree with me, but no, I will not "find that it is definitely pure mineral." I will find that it contains Bismuth Oxychloride. This is not opinion, it is fact. It doesn't make it a bad, evil product. It just makes it a potential irritant for some people. If your own experience has been a good one, then that's great.

As for creative advertising, unfortunately that happens in our industry all the time :( I think you know it's not illegal because, like me, you've probably never seen or heard a mainstream beauty ad in your entire life that does NOT ridiculously overplay the qualities of a product. Take the industry I work in, for example. A couple of tanning companies are out there telling people their tan is "100% organic." Clearly this is absolute nonsense as 70% of any tanning solution is going to be water, and organic water does not exist.

Katelisa, I didn't notice your post until now, but I'll reply via PM as I'd be interested to discuss with you what you're saying regarding different ingredients. But please note that the original poster came on here asking for any cons anyone may be aware of. I simply shared what I know. I was certainly not setting out to scare monger anyone :)
How many times do we see an advert for volume mascara and such then tiny little white writing "styled with lash inserts"

Why would Catherine post this to be malicious. Her company sells mineral make up. Good mineral make up. She was just trying to help IMO

As part of my first beauty course i did a 2 day make up training session with one other student.i did her make up,she did mine.
When i tried to wash it off at home (i dont like wearing a lot of make up usually) i was crying in the shower as it hurt so much.my face was sore for days after.
I usually tend to have very sensitive skin though.
I dont have anything against BM, but i personally wouldn't use their products on myself x

What products do u usually use Suzanne? Just being nosey. On my make up artistry course we were sponsored by MAC and our tutor used alot of Bobbi brown and artdeco for more natural make up but I suppose these are all counter brands xxx

That is exactly what I was thinking, you can't really class things as "professional" or "counter" as professional brands are sold at counters!

I have been using it for four years now and i have never been happier with my skin. Its such a contrast to other make ups i see my friends use its just so natural and versatile. I have done my bareMinerals training and I do not agree with the fact it contains bad 'chemicals' The Original foundation contains 5 minerals
Zinc- which heals and calms the skin
Titanium oxide- provides the spf
Mica - provides the healthy glow
Iron oxide- gives it colour
Bismuth Oxide- this creates its creamy texture
The Matte foundation however, has an extra 72 MINERALS in all in which contribute and compliment each other non of which are chemical nasties it contains NO chemicals NO perfume NO preservatives they age and hydrate the skin no talc, no oil, no clogging. The motto is 'make up so pure you can sleep in it'. They are the number one mineral make up in america and have been going for 35 years now they only use the highest quality of minerals from the earth and these mineral are milled 5 times over. So I cannot agree with the posts saying its the most chemically filled mineral make up you can get.

*oxicloride :grr: doh!x

Whether bismuth Oxychloride is a mineral is a moot point; it has been proven to be a skin irritant, and therefore has no place in a skin product.
Do you know what the other 72 minerals are?

There is definitely Bismuth Oxychloride in it, which is responsible for much irritation on sensitive skins.
I don't have a pot in front of me but some mineral makeups have talc, and FD & C colours in them which are also irritants.
cozmeticlab minerals are absolutely pure, and I've yet to find anyone who's sensitive to it.

You will also find Vani-T Minerals are 100% true, pure mineral cosmetics.

Visit The celebrities choice - Vani-T mineral cosmetics, makeup, professional tanning, fake tan, hair extensions, teeth whitening, body beauty for details. :)

I'm just looking at the last ID product I bought (The Rock bronzer) and these are the ingredients:

Water
Calcium sulfate
Potassium sorbate
Zinc oxide
Honeysuckle flower extract
silver oxide mica
Titanium dioxide
Iron oxide
Bismuth oxychloride

Notice that bismuth oxychloride is right at the bottom which means there is less of that than anything else in there which in turn means the likelihood of a reaction is extremely rare nor impossible, but definitely rare. It will no doubt be in there as a preservative and everyone has differing opinions on preservatives in beauty products. I think with anything it's all based on opinion. When I first used it I loved it and it really did help to clear my skin up as it wasn't clogging my pores like previous foundations id used

I wouldn't say it's my fave product anymore as its not on any cruelty free lists and I've found my skin is much clearer since switching to the new Liz Earle sheer skin tint instead

To the original poster I would say like all things give it a try and see what you think. I personally don't think it's bad for your skin based on my own experience, knowledge and research but I also wouldn't say it's the best

Sam
xoxo

Latest posts

Back