BBC- the great abortion divide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that it's a case of women taking 26 weeks to decide. Most women are not gonna get over half way through their pregnancy and then just decide to terminate!

Lowering the limit could be problematic for anyone that develops medical issues later in their pregnancy. I don't think it should be lowered.

It's 24 weeks isn't it?

I don't think that it's a case of women taking 26 weeks to decide. Most women are not gonna get over half way through their pregnancy and then just decide to terminate!

Lowering the limit could be problematic for anyone that develops medical issues later in their pregnancy. I don't think it should be lowered.

That's a very valid point salj, I naively had forgotten that termination isn't always because the mother doesn't want the baby but simply has no choice due to health problems x

Here's my problem with the suggestion that people should choose adoption rather than abortion.

It's very easy to put your rosy coloured specs on and imagine how things should work in a perfect world. Of course, in a perfect world, pregnant ladies who didnt want their babies would give their child away to a family who has wanted a baby for many years and they will love that child and give it everything it wants and needs, and the birth mother will be glad that her child is getting the upbringing she could never give it and everyone will live happily ever after just like in the films. Except, if it were a perfect world we wouldnt be having a debate about unwanted children at all, life just doesnt work like that. Many many unwanted children end up slipping through the cracks of society because a parent with no regard for a child often doesnt think that they should give that child to someone who will care for it, they have the child, they abuse and neglect it, and because quite often these people dont register with health authorities or schools the abuse is never picked up on. It's these sorts of situations that abortion ought to be there as an alternative to, many abused kids are mentally and physically scarred for life beyond repair, and if a woman can choose to end a pregnancy before that child becomes a living breathing person and some of these abuse cases can be avoided then I'm all for it.

I've made both choices. With my daughter I chose to keep her despite the horrific circumstances in which she was conceived, frankly I was young and naive and thought that I could love that baby and she'd love me and we'd get each other through the hard times and it would all be rosy, how wrong was I. I rejected my child aged 6 months. It took me a long time to admit how I felt to my family and in the time it took me to do so I neglected her, not out of spite but because I was suffering very badly from depression and wasnt capable of coping. I got treatment and I love that kid now more than my own life, but I could cry when I think about how I shaped her formative years. Also, explaining to my child as she grew what sort of monster she was a product of was so difficult, and my daughter had had emotional problems all through her life and still has counselling now. Now, that's how she feels having just one parent that wasnt there for her, how on earth must a child feel that was given away by its mother and father?

I'm not saying that abortion is preferable to adoption, in ideal circumstances adoption is best, but its really not realistic to say that adoption is best in ALL cases, there are times when abortion of a foetus (NOT a baby) is better, and a woman ought to be able to choose.

Maybe lower the time limit for abortions and only allow abortions after that if there are medical complications and its best for the mother? X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back