Be very aware of what advertising you HAVE signed up for

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturalnails

Legend
Reaction score
Just after the Summer last year I agreed to do a magazine piece.

Ever since then I have been inundated with calls from other magazines saying I agreed to do their adverts. I know I havent.

The worst though is one company sent me an invoice for £200 out of the blue confirming my advert in their "Community brochure". They had lifted some graphics from my website and made a "proof".

When I received the invoice I called them up and said I knew nothing about it and I would not be paying. They played me a recording which was supposed to be me agreeing to this. This phone call never happened.

They called me again saying that they would contact the police if I didnt pay as there must be someone else in my organisation who was booking advertising space pretending to be me.

I have received two further invoices and yesterday I received a letter from a debt collection agency, allegedly LOL, saying they had been instructed to collect the debt and if I didnt pay within 7 days they could appear at my premises and recover items to the value of the invoice plus another £150 +VAT.

This was very scarey and if I was not 100% sure I did not agree to this then maybe it would have been less hassle to just pay it. That is what they are banking on. If I paid it then another one would come out of the woodwork and on it would go.

I have spoken with a legal adviser who says it is bogus. I have also contacted the fraud awareness team and given them as many details as I could from the letters.

Be very careful out there, these people are targetting small businesses and preying on people who they think they can intimidate.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you get it sorted soon. Its appalling bullying people in to paying for something they haven't had, for a living. How do they sleep at night? Good on you for standing up for yourself xx

Always get proof of everything you publish, if it's a legit publication who have created the advert for you they will generally send you a proof copy via email for you to approve before they go to print .

In all my years I have never heard of any publication to threaten with police if you don't pay.

Stand your ground and if they continue ask for evidence of your advert, either via post in the actual magazine itself or the email correspondence you agreed to

X

Wow!! Thanks for sharing!

This has all the signs of a con. Nothing but scare tactics to try and get money out of people , good for you for standing your ground ! Any further contact from them I would simply ignore ;)

How scary it that! My goodness, there are some grim people out there. Hope it's soon sorted out. Well done for not caving in, keep strong. x

Latest posts

Back