Beauty | Lash Tint Patch Test: For Once Or For All?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
I rely on some goodwilled geeks to keep me up to date on what's causing chatter on the forums. I simply can't be everywhere at once, so I was very grateful when I was told about all the confusion amongst geeks regarding patch testing for lash tints.

The accepted practice is that we patch test every new client the first time they have the treatment. Up until now, we have assumed that is sufficient in terms of safety and insurance cover however, recently, some confusion has arisen after some manufacturers stated that professionals should be patch testing every client, every time they have the treatment. While manufacturers' literature, instructions, manuals don't say this explicitly, when asked for clarification, manufacturers are verbally (or via email) confirming that clients should be patch tested every time they have the treatment.

Obviously, patch testing every time is not ideal but neither are we willing to jeopardise our reputation, not to mention our client's health, so what does this mean for the professional? When asked about this issue Salon Systems replied via email stating, "We’d recommend that a patch test is carried out before each and every application because it is possible to become sensitive to a product even though someone might be a regular user." However, this isn't included in their official instructions so, where do you lie when it comes to insurance?

I contacted BABTAC who were not surprised to hear that this issue had come up. In fact, they are currently rewriting and updating their Good Practice Guide and have included this issue in it. After speaking with BABTAC they have contacted their insurance brokers who have confirmed, that in these instances the broker will accept the recommendation of BABTAC over the manufacturer. This means that, if you are following the already defined regulations regarding patch testing which are testing 24 hours before first treatment, testing before a change in medical history, testing after hormonal changes due to pregnancy or menopause, testing before a change in preparation (i.e. new supplier, new ingredients) and testing after a 12 month interval between treatments and you have signed client record cards to be kept for seven years, then you are covered.

Just to clarify, BABTAC's insurance providers have confirmed that they will accept BABTAC's guidance on this issue and BABTAC have recommended that as long as the above patch testing guidelines listed above have been followed, then you are covered. Failing to patch test every client every time will not result in your insurance being invalid, as long as you follow the above guidelines. BABTAC's insurance providers have accepted this recommendation.

However, it is important to note that this applies only to BABTAC. Professionals covered by other insurance providers will need to check with their individual providers and confirm the regulations of their individual policies.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000017244099XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000017244099XSmall.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Great to have some clarification on this subject. But unfortunately so many people will still be unsure until all insurance companies respond.

Phew, I'm glad I'm insured with babtac; at least I know where I stand!
Thank you for getting to the bottom of this!

Great work and thanks for the update - as with Lynne, pleased to be insured with BABTAC!

That's brilliant.Thankyou for taking the time to clarify.

Great news, thankyou!

I am also pleased to be insured by babtac :) thank you for clarifying this.

Thanks for the clarification and as I'm with The Guild I'll contact them tomorrow

Thats such a relief - now i just need to change my insurance !

Phew thank you for clarifying the situation ! Thank goodness I am with BABTAC :lol:

Babtac have always given me great support and help whenever necessary.
Glad this is now clear and that I am a babtac member!

Thats such a relief - now i just need to change my insurance !
excitment short lived - Babtac still actually state to follow manufacturers specific guidelines which seems to be test everytime !

I am about to finish my NVQ2 and tinting is obviously on the course. I was beginning to think this would be removed from our menu in the future.

Joined BABTAC because the insurance for trainees is excellent and I will be remaining with them.

Do we attempt to put this on our websites I wonder!

What a great post delighted to have this clarified long live babtac :)

excitment short lived - Babtac still actually state to follow manufacturers specific guidelines which seems to be test everytime !

Hi Beau-ty,

Just to let you know, the conversation with BABTAC's broker only happened yesterday and BABTAC are working on an official statement. The information I have provided here is the most up to date information. BABTAC will be releasing a statement soon (hopefully beginning of next week) confirming the information in the article. Rest assured, if you follow the patch testing guidelines set out by BABTAC, BABTAC's brokers will insure you because they are accepting the recommendation of BABTAC and not the manufacturer.

Hope that clarifies things!

The Ed.

Hi Beau-ty,

Just to let you know, the conversation with BABTAC's broker only happened yesterday and BABTAC are working on an official statement. The information I have provided here is the most up to date information. BABTAC will be releasing a statement soon (hopefully beginning of next week) confirming the information in the article. Rest assured, if you follow the patch testing guidelines set out by BABTAC, BABTAC's brokers will insure you because they are accepting the recommendation of BABTAC and not the manufacturer.

Hope that clarifies things!

The Ed.

Thank you for that - it does sound more reassuring and i will be glad Monday when i can do some phoning up about this. I keep having discussions with clients over this and they are not only concerned about the inconvenience but mainly a worry about over-sensitising from so many patch tests. If there is a solution to this it would be great - but i for one am going to get some leaflets printed up and tell clients the importance of what any medical changes can make to reactions and why they must comply for their safety as someone said in the other post about a reaction when on anti-depressants.x

Good news to see this issue addressed.

I hear from many clients that they haven't EVER been patch tested, be it for tinting, hair colour or lashes. But I think guidelines on patch testing are most often flouted when the treatment forms part of a package....

If a lash tint forms part of a 'pamper day' how many therapists ensure that that client comes in beforehand, to have a patch test? It's surely safer for both parties to find an alternative treatment?

Just food for thought...

Just to clarify, there is a warranty in the Guild's policy wording regarding patch testing prior to a lash or brow tinting treatment (a warranty must be complied with in order for insurance to be in place). The wording is as follows:

Eyelash and brow tinting
the INSURED will perform a skin test on the client at least 24 hours before applying that client’s eyelash or eyebrow tint for the first time and will not proceed with the treatment if the results of the test are not satisfactory.

If a client advises you that they have previously had a treatment at another salon, you must still patch test as the other salon may have used different products. If you change your product range at anytime you would be required to carry out patch tests again on both existing and new clients. If ever you or your client have any concerns over their continuing suitability for lash or brow tinting treatments at any point in the future then it would be best practice to carry out the patch test again for peace of mind.

It is important that if you are in any doubt, you should contact your own insurance provider directly. Insurance is regulated by the FSA and providing advice on insurance products is something that can only be done by people who are regulated by the FSA and qualified to do so. Information that is published on bulletin boards by non qualified people can not be relied on as it is quite often wrong and misleading.

The policy says a new test for a different range... But if they choose a different colour from the same manufacturer / range another test isn't required?

Latest posts

Back