Beauty room and toilet/kitchen access

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachieD85

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm in the process of setting up my salon and have came into a little problem when planing to build of my private beauty room. It's only a small one but would be too small to fit my bed in and have me at the top of it to do treatments so I have to have it the other way however having it this wayward that anyone needing to go to the toilet or the hairdressers into the back room to mix colours are going to have to pass through the beauty room. There's literally no other alternative! I'm now tied into this lease for 1 year and I have had my keys for 3 days. I'm having a nightmare. What's your thoughts in this problem I have?

Hi, If it was just for access to the loo then it wouldnt be too much of an issue but if its for hairdressers to mix colours and you do treatments such as massage and facials it could be a major problem as they would be in and out constantly.
I had the same with a salon I took on for a year and finished up handing in the keys at the end of the term as it was an issue for the hairdresser (there was just two of us) to be able to mix colours and as my room was next door to the kitchen it was very noisy if clients/the hairdresser was in there.
Did you not know this prior to signing your contract?
I hope you are able to sort things :|

The hairdressers 'toilet breaks' would have to be scheduled at the time between your clients
Also - could the hairdressers get all their required colours & bleach etc out of the kitchen at the start of each day ?
I know it's not ideal, but surely the owner must've realised this when they leased it to you ?

I've just left my beauty room due to a similar situation. I had an enclosed bit for relaxation treatments and an open area for pedicures etc. which went from the hairdressers to the kitchen. The hairdressers just didn't understand why shouting from the door to the kitchen disturbed my clients!

I was having to move clients to evening appointments when the salon was shut - it all became too much. I would advise that you have a frank but friendly conversations (something I should have done at the beginning!) to set some understanding/rules. I totally understand why hairdressers don't understand the need for quiet, calm areas because their clients want chatting hairdressers. Try and get a good working relationship - I really wish you luck with your new venture x

Is there any space in the salon area where you could fit a colour bar with a small sink? Pretty much the size of a welsh dresser really!

I also had the same situation at my last place. People had to walk through my room to get to the kitchen and toilet. I ended up not being able to do waxing, massage etc as we were constantly disturbed by hairdressers and clients alike. I could only do nails, pedis, eyebrow waxing etc that did not need a bed or quietness. It just doesn't work.

Well we have been open for a couple of months now. What I did was put a partition wall to make a very small kitchen and a small beauty room with access to the bathroom. The partition isn't all the way to the ceiling to save with electrics and lighting but if I am to stay there long term I will put the money into it and extend it to the ceiling and put new lighting in. I put a curtain over the bathroom door to make it look nicer as it has big bolts on for extra security from the back. It works well for the space as I put my bed diagonal in the room and I can then work from the top and both sides. When not in use I slide it out the way against the wall!! Now there is background noise from the hairdryer and phone and I offer my clients earplugs if they wish but the hairstylist is very considerate when coming into the kitchen during facials (I don't do massage) I did a groupon deal when we first opened and did a lot of facials lol she only comes in the room to mix her colours. I did think about a "colour bar" but she said that colours shouldn't be mixed in front of clients etc so didn't bother. I'm happy with this as a starting point all I want not is my shelves up to get the glass cabinet out and give me that little bit more space xx

Don't really understand why the colours shouldn't be Mixed in front of the client, we have a Welsh dresser that's shabby chic style that we mix colours up on, it's in the salon itself & it's like a feature. It's got all tea cups & saucers on & it's really pretty but functional

Just Rearrange the salon? I'm really surprised that so many of you are having this issue!? Glad you can all work around it tho

If you've only had the keys 3 days just restart your organising of where everything goes? I planed all mine out on paper many many times before kitting it up, my salon looks noting like how I imagined it first time I looked at lol nothing would have worked if I'd stick to my initial plans

Latest posts

Back