Beauty room situation - what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauraj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been renting a room at the back of an hair dressers since September. When I first started the salon owner said she would ideally like £25 per day or would be happy with a percentage split up to that much. I asked what percentage she wanted me to pay but she said we would do it on trust and it was up to me.

I've been giving her about 20 - 25% on all my treatments or £25 each day I was in. No one else came for the room so she gave me a key and said I could use it when I wanted. I therefore have been coming in different days and things and never really stay for a full day and just come in when the salon has booked clients in for me or when I have got clients booked in. This has been working fine and the salon owner has made a lot more from me than the initial £25 per day as I was only going to have one day.

Anyway, recently the owner has been suffering with stress so her husband had given the other girl who works in the salon a payrise and put money issues down to her. She has the been to see me and said she wants £20 per day regardless of how long I am in for and £5 per evening that I work.

Friday I took £19 and was only in for a couple of hours and she said the new rates won't apply until this week but now I don't know what to do. I can pay £20 a day because my clients end up splitting over days dependent on when the salon books them in so some days I won't be able to afford it. I've asked if we can do a set percentage and do it that way and if someone want to pay for the room by the day then I wont do those days and if they get someone full time then I'll just leave. She has said she will speak to the owners husband and see what he says.

The other problem is that I tan and do nails for the owner and I already do it at a discount or she will say she wants her nails doing and not to bother with the rent but if I'm going to be paying full each time I'm in then I'll have to set some staff prices or I'll be loosing out.

Also anyone else coming in will be paying the same amount of rent as me when I'm the one who's paid out putting a new blind up, a clock, picture, a tanning tent and a beauty couch. Why should I do it all up for someone else to come in and use my stuff paying the same as me.

Sorry about the long post. What should I do?

Hi Laura, Sorry to hear you are having problems.

The way I see this, correct me if I am wrong but the salon are booking you clients over every working day of the week which is wrong on both parts. If you agreed 1 day a week then I would stick to that and tell the salon that is your day you will be working that way it avoids any confusion and you being out of pocket.

If you need a vent then you have my number x

Well I've said before I am willing to do any time Thursday and Friday and any evenings but I think I'm going to have to tell them I will only do one day and tell them to make sure anyone who wants an appointment is on that day. I think I'll also do a staff treatments price list with a small discount but not what it was like before. I might see how that goes for a few weeks and then if it's not working out look else where.

I have damp on the walls in the room too anyone know how to sort that?

Well I've said before I am willing to do any time Thursday and Friday and any evenings but I think I'm going to have to tell them I will only do one day and tell them to make sure anyone who wants an appointment is on that day. I think I'll also do a staff treatments price list with a small discount but not what it was like before. I might see how that goes for a few weeks and then if it's not working out look else where.

I have damp on the walls in the room too anyone know how to sort that?

To get the surface damp off warm soapy water with bleach or I find detail mould & mildew remover works really well. My house is really old & I get alot of damp in the winter. xVx

To get the surface damp off warm soapy water with bleach or I find detail mould & mildew remover works really well. My house is really old & I get alot of damp in the winter. xVx

Dettol not detail!

It sounds like the owner has been too laid back and left you in a muddle, not knowing where you stand! You are doing the right thing by telling them what you want/need and if that does not work for them find somewhere more suitable (and professional). Xxx good luck!

I think your right if we had everything set out better at the start then I wouldn't be so confused now.

Thanks for the damp advice I'll try that

I'm all for helping people, but I don't think it's right someone should be able to come in and use your beauty couch and tanning tent, and pay the same price as you.

You have paid out for these in the first place, and have had to do treatments to make your money back. So you'd need to talk to them about this too xx

I'm all for helping people, but I don't think it's right someone should be able to come in and use your beauty couch and tanning tent, and pay the same price as you.

You have paid out for these in the first place, and have had to do treatments to make your money back. So you'd need to talk to them about this too xx

That's what I thought because I'd be renting a half furnished room and theres would be fully furnished for the same money.

I just wanted to post on here and get some other opinions.

Thanks everyone.

I think your right if we had everything set out better at the start then I wouldn't be so confused now.

Thanks for the damp advice I'll try that

tea tree oil ten drops per 500ml water is also good for damp, and far less noxious than bleach or the dettol mould & mildew remover which is essentially bleach.

xx

tea tree oil ten drops per 500ml water is also good for damp, and far less noxious than bleach or the dettol mould & mildew remover which is essentially bleach.

xx

I'm gonna try this, thanku! The dettol remover gets right up my nose!

Latest posts

Back