Been burgled

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkknailss

www.luxetanning.co.uk #Princess
Reaction score
*SIGH*
As If this year hasn't been stressful enough I have been burgled! And want to know the worst bit?

THEY USED A KEY!!!!!

I had a feeling someone has been going into my flat for a while, and now I am 100% noticing things have been moved!
They stole a pair of £30 wedges (why?!) and a solid gold charm bracelet that my mum gave me for my 13th birthday which I am actually gutted about! The only bloody thing of value they took!

My landlord is refusing to change the locks so I have no choice but to move out and if she doesn't let me I will have to take her to the small claims court! (good thing my sister is in uni to become a solicitor/barrister)

In the past 12 months I have lost 2 jobs, found and left the love of my life, moved 3 times! (YES 3 TIMES!), changed my number at least 3/4 times, and now after 4 months finally trying to make this horrible flat a home I've been burgled!
So I am leaving London! Off to a place Kent called Northfleet! (if my landlord gives me back my deposit and lets me leave the tenancy early that is!)

I need a holiday geeks!!!!!!

So it's a previous tenant? Have you called the police?
There must be tenancy laws about this type of thing. Did you rent through a Lettings agency?
I'd fully expect to change the locks after a tenancy, and have done, as you don't know if a previous tenant has copied the key, so unless you gave someone a key, and they're using it for stealing, it's a police and landlord matter.

Oh that's sooo bad ....
What has your landlord / tenancy company said - is she still not willing to change the licks even now????
When we moved into our new house last the first thing I did was change the locks on all doors ... Front, back and patio doors.
It cost us £80 for all the locks and was quite simple to do.

Hope you get this sorted
Xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I filed a report today :(
My landlord knows about the shoes and basically blamed me for not double locking the door (i live in a purpose built block, top floor) only discovered he bracelet was missing Thursday.
So I'm sending her an email tonight to ask to surrender my tenancy early, the agents said to contact the landlord so they wernt any help at all!

I'm so sorry! Don't rule out your landlord...I had one that used to let himself in while I was at work...hope things get sorted for you quickly xx

Sent from my BatPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Whatever you do, make sure to keep records of who you spoke to, time an what was said etc.

Similar thing happened to us when I left home with a friend and two teenage boys saw us and assumed there was no one home. Luckily my bf was upstairs and managed to chase them out. Reported to police who had forensics etc. The police didn't catch them I don't believe but they did their best to comfort and reassure us. When I reported this the the real estate and how we weren't show how to deadlock the door, all they say was 'oh'. Shows how little they care about tenants.

This is awful. A agree, dont rule out the landlord, espcially if its a woman - what man steals wedges and a bracelet lol.....on a serious note, I know you have said you are now moving, but if I were you I would just change the locks! What's the landlord going to do once its done. Yes he /she will want a ky, but once its done, its done.
I hope things work out for you and you find the safety and happiness you deserve :) xx

So sorry this has happened. Could someone have copied your key without you knowing about it? As stated previously, it could be the Landlord? who knows.

Hope it sorts out.

Awful! So sorry x

*SIGH*
As If this year hasn't been stressful enough I have been burgled! And want to know the worst bit?

THEY USED A KEY!!!!!

I had a feeling someone has been going into my flat for a while, and now I am 100% noticing things have been moved!
They stole a pair of £30 wedges (why?!) and a solid gold charm bracelet that my mum gave me for my 13th birthday which I am actually gutted about! The only bloody thing of value they took!

My landlord is refusing to change the locks so I have no choice but to move out and if she doesn't let me I will have to take her to the small claims court! (good thing my sister is in uni to become a solicitor/barrister)

In the past 12 months I have lost 2 jobs, found and left the love of my life, moved 3 times! (YES 3 TIMES!), changed my number at least 3/4 times, and now after 4 months finally trying to make this horrible flat a home I've been burgled!
So I am leaving London! Off to a place Kent called Northfleet! (if my landlord gives me back my deposit and lets me leave the tenancy early that is!)

How horrible, sounds like your landlord needs needs a slap!! Lol, hopefully your able to leave early....xxx

Oh and I was born in gravesend, got family in north fleet :D xxx

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the locks changed yourself? Would be more cost effective than moving altogether. You don't need to tell the landlord as he/she shouldn't be coming into your home without you present anyway. When you eventually move out you can give them the new key.

You poor thing. Just want to give you a hug x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the locks changed yourself? Would be more cost effective than moving altogether. You don't need to tell the landlord as he/she shouldn't be coming into your home without you present anyway. When you eventually move out you can give them the new key.

I agree with this, every property I've ever rented, the first thing I do is change the locks! I gave the estate agent the old set of keys, they don't know I've changed them but as the other poster says they shouldn't be entering the property without you present at any time! Sorry this has happened to you, I can also understand why you want to move as I wouldn't like the thought of living somewhere where someone just lets themselves in when they feel like it, what if you'd been home at the time 😱

*SIGH*

THEY USED A KEY!!!!!

I live in gravesend which is not far from Northfleet, where a outs in Northfleet are you moving to?

Kirsty

Thanks guys!
Sending an email to my landlord today so fingers crossed she will let me leave!

Thanks guys!
Sending an email to my landlord today so fingers crossed she will let me leave!

And if she doesn't, just change the locks. Simples.

*SIGH*

THEY USED A KEY!!!!!

On reading this (I'm afraid it might not be good news): I am a victim of Burglary - landlord wants me to pay for a new door telling that is my fault

How did they get possession of the key?

I know a [now] retired CPS lawyer and a Barrister (though the Barrister works in employment law), might be able to get some advice from them.

I mean with all due respect you'd probably be best off asking them on that forum about things like this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

This sounds completely logical:
I'd fully expect to change the locks after a tenancy, and have done, as you don't know if a previous tenant has copied the key, so unless you gave someone a key, and they're using it for stealing, it's a police and landlord matter.

All I can say is the very best of luck but really go on a consumer issues site, like the one listed above, someone on there will most likely know what you can do about it, assuming things is always a bad way of going about it

Last edited:
How awful. Re: the bracelet, go round the local pawn shops and ask if anyone has sold a gold charm bracelet. Change locks without landlord knowing, they'll only know if they're going in when you're not there!! Hugs xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have thought about this a lot.

I don't want to scare you, but I think it's quite creepy that someone has been in more than once and moved things about. Taking a pair of shoes sounds odd, too.

Hope it all works out for you.

As j.smith said, I'd probably check with citizen advice bureau or shelter for consumer advice. Might be good to call the property ombudsman and see where you stand. Think you might have a small claims court there.

Latest posts

Back