being mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydee

Reaction score
hi everybody! im new here and this is my first post on this site! ive just got a quick question about being a mobile technician.....
do u have 2 pay taxes and insurance and stuff like that? because i heard that you can just declare it as a "hobby" if you are doing mobile and so you dont have to pay any taxes....

is that true? im doing a course at the moment and thats what i want 2 do (be a mobile technician i mean)

i don't know for def if you;d actually get away with not declaring it - but i know you're supposed to!

If you're doing it in the evenings extra to your f-time job, you may well get away with it, but full-time, i'd def reg as self-empl'd. Then again I'm a bit of a wuss with stuff like that - scared of getting found out!
Also, the way i see it, if you reg now, you'll barely notice the tax, NI etc - but if you get found out after 5yrs and have to make bck payments... you'll know about it.

I'd ring the local Inland Revenue office - don't give them your name or anything - just say it's a general enquiry and find out the legal requirements (you may not have to reg is you work under a certain amount of hours, or earn less than a certain amount of money?)

good luck with the biz anyway xx

I'm mobile and Ive registered. I would definitely do it.

I work full time and i have just registered as I am mobile and I have to pay an additional £2.05 a week . I pay more for a sandwich and its peace of mind.

Yes, of course you have to register for tax and ni..... and the good thing is, you can deduct loads of expenses before you pay tax. Register with IR within 3 months or you have an automatic fine of £100 - it's not worth it.

PM me if you need a bit more info.

Cathy

thanx 4 all the advice!!

im due to finish my course in june and am hoping to start doing clients as soon as i have my certificate. do you think its a good idea to start up on my own straight away or work in a salon first?

(i will b in my final yr of a degree, which is why i am considering being mobile - that way i can do hours that r suited 2 me, but some friedns have suggested getting used 2 a salon environment first)

please help!

Also.. don't forget to get insurance.. I once accidentally knocked over nail liquid onto a 2000 table even with towels and wrap it still soaked thorugh and made a right mess.. Thank god I was insured for this... It's worth thinking about!!! good luck.. Mobile is fun!!!

Hi.... i'm going mobile like yourself. If you contact your local business enterprise company and ask about new business start up info they'll point you in the right direction. I went on a 3 day business start up course for free and was pretty good. They'll keep you right.... no matter how small or big your business is.

I hope this helps!

thanx 4 all the advice everyone!

i wont b qualified until june but i think its wise 2 plan ahead so that i no what im doing when i set up on my own!!!!

Latest posts

Back