Black gel and excessive shrinking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole.B

Reaction score
Just done a client with Akzentz black gel and got major shrinking, I know coloured gel can shrink more but this was really bad, I capped the free edge and went as close to sidewalls as I could.
This is the first time I have used black but this client is into black and could become regular if I can sort my problem..xx

IKWYM :irked: Some of those dark gel colours do tend to shrink.

I get around this problem by curing just two nails at a time.

HTHs xx

me too...i do the hockey cocky with the clients hands...have my lamp on permanent and do right hand 1 nail...in the lamp...left hand 1 nail....in the lamp....right hand 2nd nail...in the lamp...left hand 2nd nail... in the lamp.....and so on...untill all 10 have had 1 layer...then both hands in for full cure....and then do my second layer if it needs one.

I did flash cure 2 nails at a time for 10 seconds, just didn't expect it to shrink like they did..xx

Thin layers tend to shrink less. It may be worth trying even 3 thin layers and 'stretch' each layer as you apply it (I know that's not a very scientific description but I hope you know what I mean :eek:)

Thin layers tend to shrink less. It may be worth trying even 3 thin layers and 'stretch' each layer as you apply it (I know that's not a very scientific description but I hope you know what I mean :eek:)
Thank you Marian, I understand what you mean. Will have to practice it on hubby again lol..xx

With the Akzentz Options dark colours, it is recommended that you thinly apply Optibond (I apply just around the edges - easier to soak, but still grips very well), cure 2 mins, apply base n gloss....cure 2 minutes, then wipe with cleanser before applying your colour gels.

I know it sounds strange, we are conditioned to believing that gel will not adhere to a shiny surface, but it does - very well, and reduces shrinkage by quite a lot.

Hope this helps x

With the Akzentz Options dark colours, it is recommended that you thinly apply Optibond (I apply just around the edges - easier to soak, but still grips very well), cure 2 mins, apply base n gloss....cure 2 minutes, then wipe with cleanser before applying your colour gels.

I know it sounds strange, we are conditioned to believing that gel will not adhere to a shiny surface, but it does - very well, and reduces shrinkage by quite a lot.

Hope this helps x
Thanks Lindsay I do optibond and base n gloss, will wipe it next time..xx

Latest posts

Back