Black Nail......OMG

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Went to my client last night and I could see something lurking under the enhancement and there it was a black mark under the nail about the sizie of a 5 pence.

We I told my client to go to her doctor asap and get it checked out, but she seemed to think it would grow out :eek: I told her it really would be best to got and see her Doc, she says i am sure its nothing....i say for gods sake woman...only kidding.....so I say " as a professional i strongly advise you to seek medical advice, and until then I can perform any service on your nail.....

No I am sure I saw a greenie appearing on the one next to it... :eek: but I wasnt sure if it was my imagination so I preped scrubbed like hell with scrubfresh and reapplied....

I have now told my client to call me once she has spoken with the Doc, and he has given the go ahead I will then return to apply an L&P overlay on this nail.....

and this is my lady who no has been gone 5 weeks between an appointment..(PS she is now pack to fortnightly)

Could this have been caused due to the lenghty period left between the appointmets? or was it me :o

Hi Louise,

when you get a bacterial infection on the nail, it generally starts yellow, then green, then darkens to look black. I think this is due to the length of time between her appointments - if she had come after two weeks then you would have maintained her nails correctly and this would not have happened. I suppose alternatively it could be a bruise - one of my clients came in this week saying her dog bit her and she had a bruise on her nailbed.

I really dont think that sending her to her doctor will do anything other than maybe an ill informed doctor blaming the nail enhancements - maybe I am wrong!

I would have treated this the same way as the next nail and made sure that she comes back regularly.

Is she going to her doctor - if so I would be interested to see what he/she says.

Thanks for the Reply Fiona, I did assume this will grow out but I was worried that an overlay might mask any developments it really looked quite evil

Hi Louise
Many years ago a new client came into my salon who had spent years sticking on the type of nails you can buy from a chemist. She kept them on for as long as she could each time to save money. Every nail had various degrees of bacterial infection. The ones that had gone really dark had also started disintegrating exposing a hard nail bed.

This is really extreme but showed me what an infection left unchecked could eventually do. I think it would be worth checking the condition of the nail plate to make sure it is just discoloured not disintegrating. By removing the artificial nail and cleaning, the bacteria will have gone but the plate may not be capable of holding an overlay without causing further damage.

If this is the case it would be better to leave it bare and paint it to hide the colour. If you do feel you can put a nail back on, I suggest you get the client to sign a disclaimer that includes an agreement to return in a max of 2 week gaps.

I can't particularly explain why but some clients are more susceptable to this than others. It is probably what they do with their hands (more exposed to a wider bacteria population). I think this one needs careful watching!

Marian

Hi,

when my nail tech went on vacation this year, she recommended her teacher (also a nail tech) to me for my appointment, which was due before she would get back. I must admit that I felt quite insecure as the replacement worked on my nails and really couldn't believe she was a teacher.

Anyway, when my usual nail tech returned from vacation she noticed that I had the beginnings of an infection under one nail. She was livid and rang her teacher to tell her what had happened. She used a liquid called "Daktarin" on my nail and recommended I get a bottle myself from the chemist (which I did). The bacteria disappeared within days, but it just shows you how easy they are to get. My nail tech uses a dedicated set of files for each client, so there's no chance of spreading anything. Apparently her teacher wasn't so good at cleaning her tools.

I don't know if you guys can get it in the UK, but you might be able to get it over the counter at the chemist, and it's for any kind of bacterial infection. There are different ones for nails and/or feet etc. and it might be worth keeping a bottle handy. You apply it under the nail as close to the infection as you can get...and it works. The client should also use it at home.

Hope this helps.
Sue.

Daktarin is sold over the counter here for atheletes foot....as is Micil.

Sorry but there is no way I would consider apply any over the counter or off shelf product and apply it to a client - not my job as an Nail Technician...and i woudnt advise anyone else to either, but thats just my option

Hello all,

it appears that even though I mentioned that I was only a client posting what had happened to me and what my nail tech had used on me, it came across as if I was giving professional advice. Please forgive me if this was the perception as it was not my intention. I only meant to share what had worked in my case, and not have you all run off to your local chemist.

I mentioned to my chastiser that I would hope that any professional would properly investige any item before applying it to their client. However, it seems that this forum is meant for nail tech professionals and I am in the wrong place for just "sharing".

please consider me suitably punished and locked in the cellar. :sad:

Sue.

suej_be said:
Hello all,

it appears that even though I mentioned that I was only a client posting what had happened to me and what my nail tech had used on me, it came across as if I was giving professional advice. Please forgive me if this was the perception as it was not my intention. I only meant to share what had worked in my case, and not have you all run off to your local chemist.

I mentioned to my chastiser that I would hope that any professional would properly investige any item before applying it to their client. However, it seems that this forum is meant for nail tech professionals and I am in the wrong place for just "sharing".

please consider me suitably punished and locked in the cellar. :sad:

Sue.
aww hunny dont be sad!

no one was telling you off, we all kinda express our feelings quite a lot on here!
there will probley be a load of people reading the thread who thought it was a good idea! everyone has different opinions! you can garuntee if you did a post saying the best colour in the world is blue, people will be like, yep i agree, and others will be like, you crazy lady, pink is, or red is! I know that, that is a totally different thing, but hey, its a point!

Keep coming on the geek, its good to talk!

Hi Louise!! *hug*
I totally agree with Mum's advice.
The client should definently see a good doctor, maybe you could soak her nails off prior. Then see what the doc says.
After that PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
I'm kind of upset with the client though, because this shows what can go wrong when they don't come in for regular maintenance, and/or try to do their nails themselves.
Keep us posted!

Hi there

Thought I would check this out in my brill book Manicure, Pedicure and Advanced Nail techniques to see what she advises about bacterial infection.

It looks as if it was more than likely caused by her not coming back fortnightly, as after 5 weeks there would be plenty of lifting for germs etc to get in.

She recommends that if the client as several areas on her nails then the extensions must be removed. If it was allowed to get worse it could invade the nail bed, leading to separation and eventually loss of nail. She recommends the client soaks her nails 5 mins everyday in the following solutions if the nails have been removed, and come back to you for a check up.

Or if only small infection and you feel the extensions can be left on, try to expose as much bacteria as possible and soak for 10 mins in one of the solutions below, then scrub the nail with antiseptic soap to remove chemicals before proceeding with new fill.

Either 3 parts chlorine bleach to 1 part water, or neat 70% alcohol, surgical spirits or methylated spirits. Any of those solutions will kill the bacteria, bleach may also fade the colour.

Any files etc that you have used on her should be disposed off.

Hope this helps

Deb379

Deb379 said:
Hi there

Thought I would check this out in my brill book Manicure, Pedicure and Advanced Nail techniques to see what she advises about bacterial infection.

It looks as if it was more than likely caused by her not coming back fortnightly, as after 5 weeks there would be plenty of lifting for germs etc to get in.

She recommends that if the client as several areas on her nails then the extensions must be removed. If it was allowed to get worse it could invade the nail bed, leading to separation and eventually loss of nail. She recommends the client soaks her nails 5 mins everyday in the following solutions if the nails have been removed, and come back to you for a check up.

Or if only small infection and you feel the extensions can be left on, try to expose as much bacteria as possible and soak for 10 mins in one of the solutions below, then scrub the nail with antiseptic soap to remove chemicals before proceeding with new fill.

Either 3 parts chlorine bleach to 1 part water, or neat 70% alcohol, surgical spirits or methylated spirits. Any of those solutions will kill the bacteria, bleach may also fade the colour.

Any files etc that you have used on her should be disposed off.

Hope this helps

Deb379
I've got to tell you that the Elaine Almond book is SO OLD AND OUT OF DATE that is full of inaccuracies and I'm not sure why it is still even in print. Far better to have the newer books by Marian Newman or Jacqui Jefford and Anne Swain that tackle this problem accurately and with up to date information.

THe old 'soaking in bleach and alcohol and gin' and other old wives tales are not appropriate for todays more accurate information.

Read the geeks tutorial and you will know what to do. Sorry Elaine, but this is the stuff of myths I'm afraid!!!

geeg said:
I've got to tell you that the Elaine Almond book is SO OLD AND OUT OF DATE that is full of inaccuracies and I'm not sure why it is still even in print. Far better to have the newer books by Marian Newman or Jacqui Jefford and Anne Swain that tackle this problem accurately and with up to date information.

THe old 'soaking in bleach and alcohol and gin' and other old wives tales are not appropriate for todays more accurate information.

Read the geeks tutorial and you will know what to do. Sorry Elaine, but this is the stuff of myths I'm afraid!!!
Coo.........have to agree with Geeg here. As I was reading the original quote from the book I was drawing in breath and raising my eyebrows in amazement:eek:

If you suspect a bacterial infection you soak the whole damn nail off...........You can then give the nail a good cleansing with an appropriate pathogen fighter (I use Scrubfresh), and as long as the nail is still in good condition, reapply new product. Your client may be left with some staining, but it shouldn't get any worse........

By the way, if your client does visit her doctor, I would be interested to know what he/she says..........will she get the brush off like my client (thread on Diabetes) or will she get some useful help.......hmmmmmm?

Adele

Latest posts

Back