Blogs???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
Someone on here is obsessed with blogs.:) Oh sorry I think this should be in the blog section as it's not a question is it? Lol:)

If you are saying what I think you are saying I know exactly what you mean :lol:

I am presuming that you are referring to me. I am actually obsessed with upholding the rules of the site, not just blogs, but also moving threads to the correct forum. Like this one for example which has absolutely nothing to do with nails so why was it in the Nail geek - I moved it to the chit chat forum.

It may be a question albeit a rhetorical one.

We do have to draw the line somewhere and sometimes posts which we may wish to leave on the forums get referred to blogs.

Dear diary type posts belong as blogs to leave the forum open for questions.

I understand why u do this Fiona, but I do see where some of the geeks r coming from.
I darnt post a question anymore as I will be told it's on the wrong section or do a search it's been asked before :(
please keep order but don't kill the site as I enjoy it on here and it wasn't always as strict as this lol

To be fair 99% of the time I think that the right decision has been made. A lot of the time it's posts which are like "woo I was busy today" which would get a great response in the blog section.

We have a nice wee community in the blogs and a lot of people would benefit fr using it. I use it for ranting lol.
Lets all enjoy and appreciate the site... Look at my signature... :)

Well I guess we are damned if we do and damned if we dont.

We used to get so many complaints about the "blog" posts which included things like my dog just had 45 puppies, my kids just got x amount of certificates, oh my hubby just gave me a bunch of flowers etc. etc. and there was the odd post that was actually to do with nails, beauty or hair that was along the same lines - oh look I just painted my nails with this new nail colour.

As a result, the blogs were created and lots were over the moon, a place for rants, vents, celebrations etc. that were only viewable by logged in members.

But we still get the odd post along these lines from people who just dont get blogs or think they dont apply to them etc. etc. I am not singling out anyone specific before you all start jumping on my head.

Please never be frightened to ask a question, however the search facility is very good and what frustrates the hell out of a lot of us is when someone posts a question which was asked and answered yesterday 5 times. A search would solve this and I dont think that is unreasonable.

Sometimes when you have a set of rules for all to see, it is not exactly fair to expect us to keep order and follow the rules, but maybe only for certain people.

Please also remember that there are 7 of us, not just me and we work as a team. I am not the only one who closes, moves, deletes threads!

Ok, I've asked one now don't you go moving it lol cos I will never find it again.
I don't usually post that much... more of an observer to be honest.

Ok, I've asked one now don't you go moving it lol cos I will never find it again.
I don't usually post that much... more of an observer to be honest.

An easy way to find your posts, if they do get moved is to check your profile page and then click statistics and find all posts LOL.

I answered your question, I was going to suggest a search but I dont think it was asked yesterday LOL.

:hug:

Well I thought I'd just chance it and ask away lol :)

I think very often the newer members dont know that there is a blog section or that it actually gets read and is a nice little community.

Also as Fiona pointed out the blogs have the added bonus of being as PRIVATE as you want them to be, ie open to whoever to the members or to your friends only list, so when you want to celebrate, rant or ramble you get to choose the level of privacy.

This has meant that a lot of geeks have gotten to know each other better through sharing of personal experiences that we would never write on the public professional forum and has actually made us much more of a community.

I understand the annoyance when you get the dreaded 'this should be a blog' closing as it often does feel like being told off publicly in school :green: but moving to the blogs doesnt make it any less important or mean that no one will read it.

I lurked for a little while on this site, just to get the feel for how things work and as I'm not a member of any other forum, it took me a while to understand how things work and I was nervous about posting too.

In saying that... a quick look at the rules is all it takes and I've never posted a thread that should be a blog... I think it's very simple really... if it's not a question or if you just want to vent, then it's a blog. I'm not being rude, but I think it couldn't be easier.

It does clutter up the site a lot when the very same question is asked over and over again and all it takes is a quick search and all the answers are there for you.

The moderators have a job and a half trying to keep the site in order and it's not like they get paid for it... it's a thankless job if you ask me.

I lurked for a little while on this site, just to get the feel for how things work and as I'm not a member of any other forum, it took me a while to understand how things work and I was nervous about posting too.

In saying that... a quick look at the rules is all it takes and I've never posted a thread that should be a blog... I think it's very simple really... if it's not a question or if you just want to vent, then it's a blog. I'm not being rude, but I think it couldn't be easier.

It does clutter up the site a lot when the very same question is asked over and over again and all it takes is a quick search and all the answers are there for you.

The moderators have a job and a half trying to keep the site in order and it's not like they get paid for it... it's a thankless job if you ask me.

I couldn't have put it better...I mean, really, it isn't rocket science is it?
A question relating to Nails in the Nail Forum, questions for beauty therapy and tanning, in the Skin Forum....Hair in the Hair Forum....any other questions in Chit Chat...simplez ;)

Rants , raves, and general gabbing about yourself...hit the Blogs!!

I think the main problem though is that people are geeking more from their phones and don't have the big screen, so just can't be bothered scrolling about and just post their thoughts and questions any old where, as long as they post lol!!

There really should be a Salon Geek App out there, that would help!!!

We may be introducing an app soon which I agree Izzy will help things. The biggest hold up is me. I don't have the type of time to allocate to site development like I used to so our new site is taking a hell of a lot longer than I would like :)

I understand the problem with not liking to feel like you're brought to task for being told your thread should have been a blog. I personally would love the ability to simply move a thread to someones blog, but sadly this is very complex and not an "out of the box" solution.

As others have mentioned, the rules were brought into place to resolve issues that existing members were complaining about (we got MORE complaints before the blogs!). The bottom line: If it is a discussion (question, debate, etc...) then it belongs in the forums. Personal news, announcements or just personal waffles - Blog it :)

A Salon Geek app would complete my life.

I think it would take over mine lol :eek: !!!!

Thanks for that info Sam, and I am one of the few who does remember the time before Blogs :rolleyes:, and I remember the great furore's we used to have about silly threads (who can forget "what is your favourite crisp flavour" lol!!)...and the blogs have certainly helped with that.

I personally don't blog a lot as I don't like putting personal information on the world wide web, but I love reading them and keeping up with who is doing what to whom and why!.....Does that make me some sort of cyber voyeur??? :confused:

Ok now I know this is probably a very stupid question, although no question is stupid if you don't know the answer so I have to ask...

What is an app?

Ok now I know this is probably a very stupid question, although no question is stupid if you don't know the answer so I have to ask...

What is an app?

It is an application for one of those all singing all dancing way over my head, phones!

Oh Please please please can we have a GEEK app, as long as it's not Iphone exclusive :cry:.

I might just have to put it on my wish list for Santa :lol:

xx

Thanks Fiona... wow we're really getting geeky now aren't we? :lol:

I would absolutely love a geek app!

Latest posts

Back