Bluesky or The Manicure Company?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't disagree with your fight Bob so carry on it's a good thing. I just don't like as a NT being told what i can and cannot use just because it's exclusive or not.
You were once a one-person company but now a brand exclusive owner but just can't help yourself with the rinky-dink, ebay bashing, garage stuffed comments. Thats the bit that annoys me. Hypocritical just a bit? or maybe im just unwilling to occupy the higher ground you speak of.

Some exclusive products give allergic reactions also even if used correctly. How they are applied and by whom is totally different area i won't get into here. I may hurt some by saying i think it's snobbery to tell a nail tech to only use exclusive products and believe they should use whatever product they like if it's genuine and safe, even if it's available to the public.

Edit to say - the exclusive products come at a higher price all in and that i feel holds back many nail professionals that just can't afford them whether starting out or experienced without the funds available. I would always advise them to first check the legitimacy of a product they can afford and want to use on clients.

Exclusive products is not a useful term, because it implies that a product is expensive and restricted in order to make it exclusive. It also confuses the issue, making it look like using these products is an act of snobbery rather than safety. I use the term professional products because it says what it means - products intended to be used by professionals (although many are/wind up available to the general public). Professional products come at all price points, in fact, many are less expensive than many DIY, knock offs, and counterfeits. If you can't afford CND, then there's IBD, Tru-Gel and a multitude of other excellent professional brands. And, btw, remember that product cost is a very small percentage of your costs, usually less than 13%. It is often penny-wise and pound foolish to go with a cheaper brand.

The other thing to remember is that clients notice brands. When I was working upgrading NSS and borderline salons, the first thing we did was get rid of dodgy products - unlabelled, poorly packaged, etc. I was surprised how much clients noticed, but it made a difference. When you use products that your clients can get easily themselves, they begin to think they can do the job themselves. It's not fair or completely accurate, but how would you respond to your hairdresser using a box color? Clients know that part of being a professional is having access to professional products, and question your credentials if you don't seem to have that access. We are selling our expertise, our product knowledge, and our products. We are selling more than a product, we are selling an experience, but products are part of it. I'm not saying you are restricted to using "professional" brands, but one should carefully consider the impact that it has, especially in your core products.

Last edited:
Totally agree with getting rid of dodgy products first.
If Bluesky is dodgy and you can explain why then point it to the OP who is asking about it - not me. My point is that not all pro products are dodgy just because they are readily available. I don't make them and have no problem with how the manufacturer decides to promote / sell / brand their product whether the pro only route or not. Some have a problem with it and i get their point of view but i don't have to agree with it. Maybe just me being old, stubborn and having an opinion which these days is hard.

Thank you. I thought the manicure company were professional. It’s sold in the beauty wholesalers in Ireland. And has it’s own website. X
The Manicure Company is only available from their website or their professional outlets and they require proof that you have been trained before shipping. I have been using their product line for 18 months. I am just starting out and costs are an issue so I found them much more affordable compared with other brands. I can buy two colours for the same price as 1 of another leading professional brand. I am pleased to see their products are becoming more prominent in the outlets that stock them, plus they offer training courses too. It's great that there is a professional UK brand out there to compete with the others but it's all personal preference I suppose. Personally, I want to try a few brands before I commit, and fully expect to have favourites from more than one company. I want to try potted gels so any advice on brand would be welcome :)

A place has opened up near me offering tans, facials etc. They don’t mention many brand names in their advertising but the two I have seen are available in Boots and Superdrug..... REALLY??? I would not be filled with confidence that the service I paid for would be worth it if I could do it myself for peanuts.
Their latest is £20 for a ‘callus peel’. Again it’s a product available on the High St for a fraction of the price and, technically speaking, it isn’t a callus peel at all.

Going into business is expensive and time consuming, why would you waste your effort trying to build on something that your hard won clients will quickly discover they can purchase and apply themselves? I know Bluesky is so easily obtained, I don’t know about The Manicure Company.
Brand exclusivity is a kind of insurance against this.

Latest posts

Back