Bluesky?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Williams sell cnd shellac and aslong as you are registered with them you can buy it so that can be someone who has only a hairdressing qualification or just spray tan certificate ect, there are lots of cnd shellac on eBay a swell as other professional brands. I personally use cnd shellac but I think if someone wants to use bluesky, gets good results and clients are happy then good on them and their profit margins
Dennis Williams are not an authorised supplier in the UK.

And as said before products being sold as Shellac on eBay are not being sold by the distributer but individuals and you have no way of knowing whether you are spending your hard earned cash on old stock, re-bottled polish, a fake or any other rubbish.

How come Dennis Williams and ellisons are allowed to sell cnd shellac if they are not authorised?

LEGALLY they are not allowed to sell it there is only one company that can distribute it as far as i am aware, please if im wrong geeks correct me. They can have there butts kicked for it lol xx

Mommabear my understanding is you are correct. The only authorised distributor in the UK is Sweet Squared and their sub distributors in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester and also Ellisons.

Omg that's not good then! They definately sell it in Dennis Williams and ellisons , I'm wondering how they get hold of a big display of it then? X

New Omg that's not good then! They definately sell it in Dennis Williams and ellisons , I'm wondering how they get hold of a big display of it then? X
Ellisons are authorised as a sub distributor of Sweet Squared. Dennis Williams are not, and as for where they get their stock that would be a question to put to them lol

Juicy lucy,

Another thought, does your insurance cover you using Bluesky? X

Yes I called my insurance before and I switched and its not brand specific.... as long as I am trained in application of gel polish I can use what ever polish I like with MSDS sheets :)

The thing I've noticed more & more on the bluesky facebook page is people showing pictures of allergic reactions to their fingers. As a professional this concerns me!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

The thing I've noticed more & more on the bluesky facebook page is people showing pictures of allergic reactions to their fingers. As a professional this concerns me!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

To be fair, a large part of the problem is with the users, not the product. Because Bluesky markets to non-professionals (they are probably most of its market), it is to be expected that they will have many more incidents of allergic reactions because they are used by people without training who don't use the product appropriately. They fail to keep it away from the eponychium and sidewalls, they use their fingers to clean up, and they aren't careful when wiping the inhibition layer.

On the other hand, unlike CND Shellac which is hypoallergenic largely due to using fewer and different photinitiators, the BlueSky counterfeit product uses more photoiniators. Since photo initiators tend to be the sensitizing agent in gel polish, it is again much more likely that Bluesky would have more instances of allergic reactions.

Last edited:
Juicy lucy, the only point I'd take up with your workings out are that brand A, presuming Shellac, is not sold in 15ml bottles, they might look like it but are in fact 7.3ml, just over a teaspoon.

I've checked on Bluesky and they are 10ml. Gellux is 15ml, etc

So for anyone working out, just saying..

Yes, that's why I worked it out in mls rather than bottles. Even if brand "A" cost 8-10 more per 15mls the saving is still pennies rather than pounds, so the tech is selling her time cheap more than anything else.

If you search for Bluesky there are 172 threads about it:-

http://www.salongeek.com/search/250143/?q=Bluesky&o=relevance&c[node]=7

You will find both sides of the argument, for me, the downsides far outweigh the good so I'll stick to a professional brand my clients can't buy from eBay

Trinity there are so many brands of nail polish on ebay. The thing is you're selling a service not nail polish. Lots of clients can have nail polish but not know how to polish their own nails. As long as you can give clients what they can't give themselves then you should be okay.

They're still not a pro only brand. Still sell on eBay. Still don't support the industry. Still don't provide any brand education.

I'm proud to say as a professional I use professional products!
Ebay also sell genuine shellac and other "brands"

Trinity there are so many brands of nail polish on ebay. The thing is you're selling a service not nail polish. Lots of clients can have nail polish but not know how to polish their own nails. As long as you can give clients what they can't give themselves then you should be okay.

Very true CeJ, I'm also selling myself, my reputation and my integrety - I can look my clients directly in the eye and say with confidence and honesty, everything I buy and use on them is the best quality products, sourced from legitimate suppliers following my quality training. I do not under cut local salons, I do not offer cut price treatments and I price my treatments according to my skill and worth, therefore I don't buy cheap from unathorised sources and they know that.

The thing I give my clients they can't give themselves????? Confidence that I will look after them as well as I do, I will not put them in harm and danger and I will do my research, know the market and my business.

Bluesky has a terrible reputation, I will not tarnish mine by accepting theirs

I think we're all a bit fed up of the bluesky threads, they're the same questions, same answers and just start pointless arguments. A quick search of bluesky will give you numerous threads there's no need to be posting new ones and attempting to poke the bear.

I think we're all a bit fed up of the bluesky threads, they're the same questions, same answers and just start pointless arguments. A quick search of bluesky will give you numerous threads there's no need to be posting new ones and attempting to poke the bear.

Every topic has them.
Parenting has breastfeeding V formula feeding
Horse riders have bits v bitless
Property has Buy to let investors

Its just one of those things, happens on all forums.

Emma I searched on here but nothing was coming up and couldnt find the post id actually read that bluesky was unsafe, this is why I asked the question. Obviously being new to nails just like anyone else wanting the right information unfortunately questions will sometimes be repeated :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Very true CeJ, I'm also selling myself, my reputation and my integrety - I can look my clients directly in the eye and say with confidence and honesty, everything I buy and use on them is the best quality products, sourced from legitimate suppliers following my quality training. I do not under cut local salons, I do not offer cut price treatments and I price my treatments according to my skill and worth, therefore I don't buy cheap from unathorised sources and they know that.

The thing I give my clients they can't give themselves????? Confidence that I will look after them as well as I do, I will not put them in harm and danger and I will do my research, know the market and my business.

Bluesky has a terrible reputation, I will not tarnish mine by accepting theirs
I'm not saying use blue sky. I'm saying you don't have to bash ebay for selling products that you feel no one else should be able to buy unless they are professional. That's all I'm saying. A lot of people get so upset about ebay but since you are a professional there's no need to bash ebay. Your service is what counts.

I'm not saying use blue sky. I'm saying you don't have to bash ebay for selling products that you feel no one else should be able to buy unless they are professional. That's all I'm saying. A lot of people get so upset about ebay but since you are a professional there's no need to bash ebay. Your service is what counts.

Maybe this gets lost in translation because I'm in the UK (it's grey and rainy as usual) and you're in California (and it's gorgeous no doubt). It not specifically eBay that is the problem, it's anywhere that isn't specifically for professionals, so you can change eBay to say Sallys/Walmart/Walgreens/whatever is your place that the general public go to for beauty purchases. I want to use products sold legitimately by authorised suppliers to proven qualified techs. This is what seperates me from Jo Blogs setting up with products anyone can buy at a supermarket/mall/eBay.

I would reconsider stocking and using CND if it became widely available to the general public, BUT I think you have different regulations in the USA so it may be different over there.

Maybe this gets lost in translation because I'm in the UK (it's grey and rainy as usual) and you're in California (and it's gorgeous no doubt). It not specifically eBay that is the problem, it's anywhere that isn't specifically for professionals, so you can change eBay to say Sallys/Walmart/Walgreens/whatever is your place that the general public go to for beauty purchases. I want to use products sold legitimately by authorised suppliers to proven qualified techs. This is what seperates me from Jo Blogs setting up with products anyone can buy at a supermarket/mall/eBay.

I would reconsider stocking and using CND if it became widely available to the general public, BUT I think you have different regulations in the USA so it may be different over there.

It is somewhat different here in the US, because although we have licensing, anyone can get just about anything, anywhere. Although stores like CosmoProf or SalonCentric limit entry to licensed professionals, lots of independent stores do not. So I think that the definition of what is a professional product is more than where it is sold or who can buy it. I think a professional product is one that is developed with professional usage in mind, one that has the associated products, that has appropriate MSDS or other certifications, that provides professional training, education, customer support, and offers marketing support. A professional product interacts with professionals in the field through trade shows, advertising in trade magazine and sites. It also has to stand on its own as a product ( no copying names or graphic identity). So, yes, you will see CND and other professional products on eBay, but it is also clear that these companies have a very professional focus and their presence on eBay and other places is a diversion.

I think that is an important but often overlooked aspect of the BlueSky/CCO debate. It is not enough to say, "my clients are happy and that's all that matters." That is a very myopic view of the business. Although we are individuals and have the right to run our businesses as we see fit, we do rise and fall with the profession. We are professionals, and part of that means considering what is good for the profession as a whole. I don't think that products that say to clients "You can do this just as well as your nail professional" or that provide no support to professionals are good for the profession.

Last edited:
They're still not a pro only brand. Still sell on eBay. Still don't support the industry. Still don't provide any brand education.

I'm proud to say as a professional I use professional products!

You can buy CND of ebay

Latest posts

Back