Book club!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
The Genre for the next read is Fantasy/Sci Fi.

As I have never read any books in this genre I don't know where to start....so PLEASE geeks put some titles of book on here that you recommend and then we can do a poll and vote.

Sorry I am late with this, but time has just run away this month, I haven't finished last months book, but I am looking forward to reading something I wouldn't normall select in this genre.

That is the whole point of a Book Cub after all.....that and discussing it ;)

RIGHT come on nominate some good reads!!!!

The Genre for the next read is Fantasy/Sci Fi.

As I have never read any books in this genre I don't know where to start....

Ohh I'm exactly the same hun so I can't suggest anything but am excited to see what gets picked.

I know I am not a member of the Book Club, but would Harry Potter come under this Fantasy heading - sorry to those who think it is real LOL.

I would love to join your book club as I do read a huge amount but I am very particular about the books I read - James Patterson, Sue Grafton, Martina Cole - I like thrillers but with a tiny bit of a laugh sometimes as well.

I'd recommend Michael Crichton (he wrote Jurrasic Park) all of his books are Sci - Fi really but seem real IYKWIM.

My favourite is Timeline - a fascinating mix of time travel, history and romance.

I thought I should bump this up!!:rolleyes:

Although I am becoming a bit disillusioned, and fear that after the initial enthusiasm that Book Club is a bit of a Dead Man Walking!!!

Prove me wrong and nomnate some books.......other than that I really don't have the time to flog a dead horse....and I shall have to apologise to Littlegrohl that her Book Club has popped its clogs, died, bought the farm, whilst on my watch.

:sad:

ooohhh cant wait to see some ideas. as far as i read its mainly anne rice.

How about Twilight? It is fabulous! And as it is written for kids (bit like Harry) it is a very easy but totally addictive read. I am going to marry a Vampire when I grow up simply because of this book! And don't give up Izzidoll! I have only just joined and I love it! Or maybe a Terry Pratchett? He is really good and there are some very funny bits. Or Xanth - Piers Anthony books are great too but you do have to get them from Amazon as they aren't easy to get from Waterstones or anywhere like that.

I love SF/fantasy in case that didn't come across! Or Sabrial by Garth Nix?

Come on geeks don't give up on the book club just yet.:cry:
I love the book club I just don't have any suggestions for this month because I'm normally a murder mystery fan.

I'd recommend Michael Crichton (he wrote Jurrasic Park) all of his books are Sci - Fi really but seem real IYKWIM.

My favourite is Timeline - a fascinating mix of time travel, history and romance.

You may be interested in " The Rose Labyrinth by Titania Hardie" I'm not a big book reader, but I enjoyed this , timeline, bit of romance and historical riddles :hug:

Not sure if it strictly classes as sci-fi but the 'His Dark Materials' triology by Phillip Pullman is a great read, and the first one can happily be read as a stand alone novel.

I promise I will find time to take part in this book club!

Ooh yes! His Dark Materials is fabulous! I forgot about those! Lx

I have just put in the Book Club Social Group an apology for not chasing up this months choice.......and also looking for a volunteer to take over the organising of Book Club.

I am afraid I just don't have the necessary energy or enthusiasm at the moment, as I definitely don't have any spare time to read a book....also I think I may have drowned in the sea of apathy created by the other members :sad:

So if a fellow member of Book Club wants to whip up some enthusiasm from the others and choose a good book....then go for it.

Again, apologies to LittleGrohl the book Club Founder, for dropping the ball.

oh what a shame! I admit to joining the group but feel a bit let down by the library system, I got the martine book and last months Marian Keyes books but always towards the end of the month.

I am itching to discuss the Marian Keyes book now that I've managed to read it but realise I'm too late for the party.

I also admit to not wishing to read a sifi book so would have missed this month anyway.

surely the bookclub is worth keeping up, although I can't find any posts to do with it!

As I would be an 'occassional' book clubber, I do not feel that I could put my name forward for taking over.

oh what a shame! I admit to joining the group but feel a bit let down by the library system, I got the martine book and last months Marian Keyes books but always towards the end of the month.

I am itching to discuss the Marian Keyes book now that I've managed to read it but realise I'm too late for the party.

I also admit to not wishing to read a sifi book so would have missed this month anyway.

surely the bookclub is worth keeping up, although I can't find any posts to do with it!

As I would be an 'occassional' book clubber, I do not feel that I could put my name forward for taking over.

I don't think we need to be rigid about months as such, just use them as a guide...to be honest I think you are the only person who has actually read This charming Man (is there a pat on the back smiley?) .....so If I were you I would go into the Group and post what you thought of it...who knows someone else may have read it and post then too!!! To be honest the discussion part was the bit I looked forward to most when I joined, but other members just didn't seem to get into it.

Again the whole point of a Book Club is to widen your book reading, and read books you wouldn't normally read like Sci Fi etc.
I don't really like Chick lit...and totally struggled with This Charming Man...so much so my husband has put it back in the bookshelf as he was fed up with it cluttering the sitting room!!

So who wants to take up the mantle....Bubbabinks???...stop hiding lol

Yeh I really must apologise, I was a very willing participant at the start and never really got into it.

I absolutely love to read, but dont always get time to finish a book, IYKWIM? Think I finished the first book half way through the second month:eek:

I hope someone does take it over and maybe we can all make a little more effort:Grope:.

I don't mind doing it, not sure I'll be any good group members do need to start posting some feedback on the books though otherwise I feel like I'm all alone:cry::lol:

....So as Feb is nearly through lets scrap this month and start again with March.
We haven't had many suggestions for sci-fi so I am going to try another genre and when people are back on board try the sci-fi again.

I will be starting a new thread as it may get lost in this one....

Excellent....and I shall close this one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back