Both UVA & UVB cause Skin Cancer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
There was a thread a while ago which started off about one thing and ended up revealing that the British Association od Dermatoligists believe that UVA may cause skin cancer too. The thread then seemed to stall all of a sudden and drift into the distance!
Here is the link
http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/50827-tanning-light.html
I am very interested in this and hope that you are too.

it's quiet in here ........ i thought someone would have defended this statement by now ........

Here is what the Cancer Research UK website says:

"Sunbeds

Makers of sunbeds will keep trying to tell you that theirs is safe. But it isn't. Sunbeds haven't been around for long enough for us to prove beyond all doubt that they cause as much malignant melanoma as lying in the sun. But laboratory research has proved that the type of ultraviolet light used in sun beds (UVA) can cause all types of skin cancer. And studies are starting to crop up that show that sun bed use is a definite risk factor for melanoma.

The ultraviolet light in the sun is made up of two different wavelengths of light. These are called ultraviolet A and B. Or UVA and UVB. In the mid 80's, sun beds that only gave off UVA were developed. We know that it is the UVB in the sun that causes burning. So the manufacturers said UVA alone must be safe because it didn't burn you. This isn't true.

They will tell you that getting a sun bed tan before you go on holiday will protect you. It won't. There is no such thing as a safe tan. "

Both cause cancer. I suppose it could be discovered slower with UVA as it damages deeper under the skin, as it penetrates further, this is why it breaks down collagen and therefore causes wrinkles too. You need to check your sunscreen protects you from both as many are just effective against UVB.

Lovely bronzed, leathery, saggy skin topped off with fashion cancer...ooh get me to the sunbed!

So shouldn't technicians be applying UVA protection to their clients hands before using a UV lamp?

So shouldn't technicians be applying UVA protection to their clients hands before using a UV lamp?

I agree to this Gelly, how can we find out????? :!:
If the UV is the same in a sunbed as a lamp for gels - where does that leave our careers ????????

Latest posts

Back