Brazilian blow dry - Afro hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had a client on the phone who has Afro carribean hair. She was looking to have kerastraight but on further discussion I discovered that she used to live in Zimbabwe and when she came over here she went for a Brazilian blow dry and the salon she went to told her she must have had "the chemical one" and they aren't allowed to do it. I can only assume she means chemical straightening, and the salon was referring to formaldehyde.

Basically what I'd like to know is what would be a good product to use on her hair to get it straight? I only use kerastraight at the moment but have another Afro carribean client looking for me to straighten her hair so am open to taking on new products and brands. I told the client on the phone I would do some research on her behalf and get back to her.

Thank you in advance, Kimi

Dark and lovely do a great relaxer. Surely she could have a regular Brazilian blow after to smooth it further. But she would have to wait 3 days as its like a perm x

So she is best to use a traditional relaxer? What would be the benefit of doing a bbd over the top of this? Thanks Tomme

I don't to brazilians so don't know their benefits other than they smooth and straighten.
The relaxer might leave some bend and coarseness to her hair which would need blow drying and ironing out each wash, if a bbd can reduce that or remove the need then do one.

I was under the impression that a bbd can be used on chemically enhanced hair. X

I don't do hair professionally so this is just my opinion, but i do use relaxers, texturisers and am booked to have a Brazilian blow dry. Does your client want more manageability or poker straight or frizz control?

Poker straight, relaxer
More control, texturiser
Frizz control, Brazilian blow dry

Maybe the salon said she couldn't have it as her texture of curl & hair would then make it susceptible to breakage a lot more. I'd say do a patch test first before the whole thing.....xxx

Kimi you can apply the Brazilian over the top of the relaxer. It makes the hair smoother and shinier.

Do strand test Im sure you can ;)

Shame thiago isn't here any more, he done a fair few blowdries. X

Shame thiago isn't here any more, he done a fair few blowdries. X

Hes on instagram if anyone wants to ask him on there. Think his name is thiagohairstylist xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Mizani do the best relaxers in my opinion, followed by Influance. Dark and Lovely is basically the relaxer version of box colour. I wish wholesalers here in the UK would sell relaxers, but I guess they're just not popular to the same extent as they are in the USA.

I don't have any experience with Brazilian Blow Drying, but I see no reason you couldn't perform it after a relaxer treatment. I would wait two weeks though, as relaxing is very harsh on the hair and you want to avoid undue stress.

Kimi, Matrix do a relaxer that Blue used to rave about? Not used it myself but he said it was great for relaxing and frizz reducing? Could negate the need for doing both perhaps?
As for BBDs after chemical services - I use NanoKeratin all the time after colouring (after a week or so) with great results
xxx

Brazilian blow will be fine after a relaxer will just make it smooth and shinny you can do it straight after but if you do it the other way round then wait 2 weeks! Thats global keratin anyway 😊 hth x

Wella does a straighten it relaxer you can use it like this, use it in dry unwashed hair leave for 15 min or so. Rinse off dry the hair use the Brazilian keratin, dry the hair straight it a lot then on top use the neutraliser amazing result death straight looking hair! Xx

Last edited:
Mizani relaxers without a doubt. Just don't get crazy and try to use any super strength. Relax, neutralizing shampoo, then deep condition and wet wrap or set on big plastic rollers. Especially if she wraps her hair at night her style will be good for a week or two when she'll come in and get it reset or wet wrapped again.

Latest posts

Back