Breast Cancer awareness month

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Geeks, I have been a little quiet lately and this is the main reason, found scary bits, been for an ultrasound which was inconclusive, was sent back for a mammogram which has now led to a whole new regime of tests, pokes and prods. It is so scary when they are running the tests and get flustered, move you to different machines for further readings and then cant tell you anything. A little old ultrasound took over an hour and a half and 3 different machines to make sure the readings were correct. Now I am awaiting the dreaded call or letter from the surgeon. Hopefully just a scare but probably not. I feel for anyone out there with the fear. I have had discomfort and pain for a few years, hardening and big lumpy bits and obviously the fibro has made me feel like crap but now I start worrying if it was something more ominous

Good luck and hugs to all. My tests and scans have been fast tracked so that is rather worrying in itself. You usually give up waiting for them as they take so long to get arranged

Hugs to you all, tough times are made more bearable when you have good people to lean on.

I just want to share with you something that I have become involved in that may interest you, and your thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. I'm doing this on my phone so I apologise for any typos!

Last year I went to a breast cancer awareness day and sat for six hours straight doing a file and polish for anyone that cared to partake. I charged £3 per set, they got the full cuticle work and everything! I donated the money I made to one of the few cancer/breast cancer charities and felt pleased with my small effort.

The local health authority who ran the day were really pleased with my effort and asked if I would like to be further involved with any other similar events. I got chatting with the organiser and she started to tell me about their ideas for running breast cancer awareness training for hairdressers, the idea being that the hairdresser talks, sometimes quite intimately with their clients and get to hear all sorts.

Some people share drama, worries, health problems etc, so why not equip the hairdressers with some basic knowledge, not medical I hasten to add, about how best to advise on the best route to take, ie signposting them to the right place.

I used to be a professional trainer before having kids so the Breast Cancer manager and I met regularly to put together an awareness training program and have now set a date later this month for all the hairdressers, beauticians, nail techs etc to come along and their free training.

Shortly after I had attended the pilot course I had a client disclose a private problem to me, concerning her teenage daughter. I felt confident being able to recommend how she should go about seeking the right help and also felt confident having the conversation with her as the training also covered how to have a sensitive conversation.

So my question is, would this sort of training be something that would be of interest to you and/or your staff? Your feedback would be much appreciated but I have to add that we have have a very weak response to it locally which is a real shame ��

Sounds like a fabulous idea, after all we are the poor man or womans psycho therapist/Gp/Health Worker and Agony Aunt. LOL

I would jump at the chance

My thoughts are with u, I know how scary it is and the not knowing is possibly one of the worst things, there's so much support not only out there but right here too :0) x

Latest posts

Back