Breast Cancer awareness month

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve@nouvatan

Reaction score
this is a cause very close to my heart, not because i like boobies:o, but because this disease has devastated my family, Breast cancer can affect younger people as well. the girl who started this charity was only 23 when she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, please please watch this video link and then COPPAFEEL http://www.coppafeel.org/Page/boobcheck

My mother in law had a mammogram yesterday which was her 2nd in a month they found a lump and took biopsy we now have to wait a week for the results to find out if its cancerous her mum and aunt both died of cancer, this is going to be the longest week of our lives. I have just got my mum back from the hospital through illness and now this with my mother in law, it's so unfair I don't have many things I hate but cancer is definitely one of them, I would urge every single person to check their breasts regularly I didn't until I started seeing campaigns every where, don't be scared be safe x

Xx fingers crossed Emma Xx

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

We got the results back today and it is an aggressive form of breast cancer, any advice ( other then medical ) x

We got the results back today and it is an aggressive form of breast cancer, any advice ( other then medical ) x

I'm so very sorry to hear this treasure. My mum has put together a 'treatment tips guide' since suffering a similar diagnosis and going through both chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I would be more than happy to email this to you. She came through it fighting and has now been a cancer survivor for 5 years. Sending you and your mum all my thoughts. xxx

This is scary stuff I'm 28 and went to the docs today because I have a very itchy burning nipple and when the doctor felt my boob she found a large mass in my left boob.she has fast tracked me to go to hospital to have a scan etc.

All my mums side of the family have died or have had cancer my nan my aunt my grandad and so on.

I would never have gone to the docs about my nipple but after a thread I posted a couple of weeks ago about my nipple fellow geeks urged me to go to the docs and boy am I glad I went.

Just waiting for the scan now.XX

This is scary stuff I'm 28 and went to the docs today because I have a very itchy burning nipple and when the doctor felt my boob she found a large mass in my left boob.she has fast tracked me to go to hospital to have a scan etc.

All my mums side of the family have died or have had cancer my nan my aunt my grandad and so on.

I would never have gone to the docs about my nipple but after a thread I posted a couple of weeks ago about my nipple fellow geeks urged me to go to the docs and boy am I glad I went.

Just waiting for the scan now.XX

Good luck hun, I remember your thread. The old saying is so true 'better to be safe than sorry', no matter how minor or embarrassing it is.

I have my fingers crossed for you hunni. Keep us updated xxx

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using SalonGeek

Oh hun I'm so sorry to hear that, this is awful :( i don't have any advice for you really as i have not been through anything similar, but didn't want to read and run... thinking of you and you mil xxxxx

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using SalonGeek

Sorry to hear your news lovey. My sister was diagnosed last year with breast cancer and cancer of the lympth nodes, she has since gone through chemo and radiotherapy and still takes herceptin. Just last week she had a but of a scar but turned out thankfully to be scar tissue from removal.

The best advice I can give is take your lead from your mil, whether that means keeping her upright when she feels like she's struggling or in my sisters case, she needed everyone to carry on as normal for her sake and her babies :) mum and I had lots of private tearful moments which we kept away from my sister but she still knew we cared.

Diagnosis time is quite often the hardest time for your mil first and foremost but also for you and your family.

The thing that always amazed me, and still does, is that however dark our days are, life around us still carries on- meaning it won't always feel this bad.

Not much advice i'm afraid lovey other than to send you a huge hug and say we're here if you need us. I blogged a lot on here about my sisters illness and the geeks helped me so much I can't tell you.

Love to you honey x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Wow thank u all I'm posting from the hospital at the mo my mil has an appointment next week to discuss surgery, I'm at the hospital at the mo with my mum she is having a cardiac catheter fitted we have just been told there is a risk with the procedure so while we wait around to have her bk I thought I wld post on here, it just feels like life is soo unfair sometimes and it's only the nice ppl that seem to have all the rubbish thrown at them, I'm so pleased to hear of ppl that have come through the other side it does feel me with hope xx

sorry to hear....my mum had breast cancer a few years ago but luckily has come through with treatment. it was a devastating time for the whole family but this is what helped...we all did our bit, had to force her to rest (not even allowed to lift things in and out of oven!)....i used to go and cook for mum and dad every day(dad is useless lol) as well as doing my own family!

anyway, my mum would say when you are having radiotherapy etc and you can travel in a taxi with others instead of family taking you every day then do it...mum met others in the taxi that were going through the same and they gave each other strength as well as the driver is able to phone ahead if stuck in traffic to keep appts open.

also, my mum helps out in a school and the group of mums there put together a bag of presents all with a note on them. everytime she was feeling down after she could open a present and read the cheer up note!! some of the gifts were funny ones (nipple tassles - mum is in her 70s!) some were sweets, books, teddy bear all sorts....what they didnt spend they put in a card and said it was shopping money for when she was feeling better! hth xx and i hope all goes ok xxx

That's a fantastic idea, I'm getting my thinking head on now and will get together with the others and put together a little pick me up bag :0) thank x

I'm a breast cancer survivor. My son was just 2 years old when I was diagnosed and given a prognosis of 5 years life expectancy.

DSCN0078 (5).jpg

My son, Kellen, is now 23 years old. I beat cancer.

Gr8nails wow gorgeous pic of you and your Son, so pleased to hear your happy ending.
My friend due to have a mastectomy Wednesday :-(
She's been thru so much already xxx

Hugs to you all, tough times are made more bearable when you have good people to lean on.

I just want to share with you something that I have become involved in that may interest you, and your thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. I'm doing this on my phone so I apologise for any typos!

Last year I went to a breast cancer awareness day and sat for six hours straight doing a file and polish for anyone that cared to partake. I charged £3 per set, they got the full cuticle work and everything! I donated the money I made to one of the few cancer/breast cancer charities and felt pleased with my small effort.

The local health authority who ran the day were really pleased with my effort and asked if I would like to be further involved with any other similar events. I got chatting with the organiser and she started to tell me about their ideas for running breast cancer awareness training for hairdressers, the idea being that the hairdresser talks, sometimes quite intimately with their clients and get to hear all sorts.

Some people share drama, worries, health problems etc, so why not equip the hairdressers with some basic knowledge, not medical I hasten to add, about how best to advise on the best route to take, ie signposting them to the right place.

I used to be a professional trainer before having kids so the Breast Cancer manager and I met regularly to put together an awareness training program and have now set a date later this month for all the hairdressers, beauticians, nail techs etc to come along and their free training.

Shortly after I had attended the pilot course I had a client disclose a private problem to me, concerning her teenage daughter. I felt confident being able to recommend how she should go about seeking the right help and also felt confident having the conversation with her as the training also covered how to have a sensitive conversation.

So my question is, would this sort of training be something that would be of interest to you and/or your staff? Your feedback would be much appreciated but I have to add that we have have a very weak response to it locally which is a real shame 😔

I am mobile and self employed and it is a little tough at the moment as with what is going on at present but I would definitely want to take part in something like this in the future :0) xx

I was only 29 when diagnosed and had to have chemo, a lumpectomy, and radiotherapy! Now aged 36 and had my 5 year all clear in April! Please donate just 50p will even do as it all adds up and makes a difference! If i can help others who were in their 20's when diagnosed I will. I have also raised money for the local ward as it was so dismal when spending my time getting chemo!

So reassuring to hear so many ppl that have come through the other side, thanks to everyone that has posted and apologies to op for hijacking thread and thanks for the support and thank u to deb for her email ( and your mum :0)) xx

I just came across this,
its true in what it says...

I myself am ashamed to say I don't actually check for lumps, which is like many other women and I think we should, but on another hand I would not really know how to or what to feel for if I am honest :o

I think cancer is growing more and more, and people are being effected by it, I think like Sex Education, cancer awareness should be taught in schools,
teach all of our younger generation how to check for signs etc.
We learn so much off the younger generation, and 9out of 10 pupils will go home and educate their families.

Attachments

• Breast Cancer Awareness.png
    Breast Cancer Awareness.png
    58 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back