Bright green mark?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how does the condition get treated then if no dr involvement, or are you not concerned with that in your salon?
Surely you should know how to treat it!!!!! I'm still at college and even I do....I think I'm right in thinking this 'greenie' is just the by-product of an infection and after its removed and cleaned then the nail can be treated as normal.

The treatment for green nails is to remove the enhancement, and trim, clean, and disinfect the nail to kill the pseudomonas bacteria. Some doctors will suggest a 1% acetic acid treatment, an antibiotic, or an antifungal cream. There was a time when techs were taught to treat the nail to remove a green spot. Some techs may even remember the days we were told to reapply product over the stain left behind from a green spot. Those days are gone. “If a nail is infected, it’s out of your hands,” says Schoon. “The client needs to be under a doctor’s supervision.”

If a green spot appears on the nail, techs can’t treat the infection. “Green spots are considered to be a medical disorder,” says Doug Schoon, “and not something nail technicians are allowed to treat.” Refer the client to a doctor. Techs may want to remove the product from the nail, but if the nail has an infection, techs are legally bound to avoid any form of treatment. If you nick the skin while removing the nail, you could worsen the infection. If any of your implements came into contact with the infected nail, immediately clean and disinfect it, wash your hands, your client’s hands, and the surface of your work area.

Lucybluebell, you "think you are right", lets hope for your clients sake you are. And at my college they taught me not to diagnose.

If my client had a green nail i would want them checked out. If that makes me a bad tech then so be it.

This site is unbelievable at times

Hey! How dare you be so rude! I'm at college, therefore I'm LEARNING!!!!!!!

i think you'll find you were the one being rude insinuating "even you know how to treat it"

The treatment for green nails is to remove the enhancement, and trim, clean, and disinfect the nail to kill the pseudomonas bacteria. Some doctors will suggest a 1% acetic acid treatment, an antibiotic, or an antifungal cream. There was a time when techs were taught to treat the nail to remove a green spot. Some techs may even remember the days we were told to reapply product over the stain left behind from a green spot. Those days are gone. “If a nail is infected, it’s out of your hands,” says Schoon. “The client needs to be under a doctor’s supervision.”

If a green spot appears on the nail, techs can’t treat the infection. “Green spots are considered to be a medical disorder,” says Doug Schoon, “and not something nail technicians are allowed to treat.” Refer the client to a doctor. Techs may want to remove the product from the nail, but if the nail has an infection, techs are legally bound to avoid any form of treatment. If you nick the skin while removing the nail, you could worsen the infection. If any of your implements came into contact with the infected nail, immediately clean and disinfect it, wash your hands, your client’s hands, and the surface of your work area.

The article your quote comes from is interesting and certainly different information to that given on this site in the tutorials and by my trainers years ago. We may be talking about two different things. Certainly the picture shown in the article is not the sort of greenie due to a lifting enhancement, which is what the OP has seen.

The article Doug is talking about Pseudomonas and the tutorial Mouldy Old Fun Guy says greenies are not Pseudomonas.

Calm down everyone, we're only talking about nails :hug: maybe we can all learn something.

I think the question has been answered. I am now closing. :)

As some issues on this thread were not quite fully discussed we have been asked to re open it, however it will be monitored and we trust that any discussions will remain constructive ;)

I'm not sure if all or just some of this is directly quoted to Doug. However it may very well be out of context - possibly even by the author....
if my client had a green nail i would want them checked out. If that makes me a bad tech then so be it.
Armed with Doug's book I have helped a number of doctors with nail disorder diagnosis & suggestions for treatment

To sum up SOME of the golden information of infections...

bacterial infection
In his book Doug is very clear about the different TYPES of infection. With surface 'bacterial' being the least worrisome

You can in fact treat this type. You CANNOT disinfect the nail- this is impossible as we cannot safely use disinfectant on soft tissue. But with great sanitation and exposing ALL the bacteria to sanitation we can kill the bacteria.
Scrub fresh is perfect for this due to the triclosan in it

Fungal treatments will also not help for obvious reasons...

You can't remove the coloring 'green'
As Gigi said - this is not bacteria, simply the stain left behind. You can't see the bacteria - as mentioned it 'may' be pseudomonas - but it could be any of the hundreds Of bacteria that normally live harmlessly on skin...

If the infection gets UNDER the nail plate you have a problem - you cannot ensure to sanitize enough to kill all the bacteria. These usually require a doctors care...

Paronychia
This is the infection type Doug warns about. This is when the bacteria (same types as 'greenies' invades soft tissue and forms puss/ swelling and redness

Fungal infection - so rare on hands I can recall the number of times on one hand (I've seen a lot of infections too...) highly unlikely as the environment is too dry and light for fungal spores to germinate...
Any product claiming to stop it occurring is only telling the truth because it won't happen anyway ...

Hygiene
Any file you use on this one nail should not touch any other nail. Not on the same client, or anyone else. It may spread infection... Same goes for nail wipe

Bottom line
If anythingI have said is new or 'challenging' - BUY Doug Schoon book nail structure and product chemistry (2nd edition has coloured pics)

Many training providers do not have totally upto date information. Or they cover any possible liability by erring on caution. Even when, with accurate information and training we can deal with it

And of course
If you EVER come across a nail you are not confident with, or appears too unhealthy. Get a professional opinion from someone who can give you correct advice...

This site is unbelievable at times
yes. Youre dead right. What a great place to learn new information... The day we stop learning is the day we stop getting better

As soon as the enhancement material is removed, the 'water trap' which creates an environment where this simple bacteria can thrive and multiply is also removed and the bacteria can no longer multiply and they die. What is left behind is a stain only, and needs no further treatment.

Provided that the infection was minor and the nail plate only surface-stained green (a longer term infection can progress to black colour and compromise the nailplate) then a technician can clean and replace with a new enhancement immediately; it does not require treatment by a doctor!

The stain will grow out with no further complications.

Wonder if anyone knew what this may be. Took the ladies acrylic off (not done by me) to find this? X

Invest in Doug's book and may I suggest some advanced training...

to diagnose obviously
Ilovelashes. Are you a qualified nail tech with specific product training, or have you just done a nail component at college?
I only ask as you only have lash professional on you post profile?

Some doctors will suggest a 1% acetic acid treatment, an antibiotic, or an antifungal cream.

If they're going to prescribe an antifungal treatment for a greenie, I'm glad they're not MY doctors :eek::eek::eek: Reminds me of my old boss - she'd sell clients a product called 'fung off' (because she thought it was hilarious, though god knows what she thought it was going to do) for the greenies because she didn't know the difference!

If the client presents with a fungal nail, then I'd recommend that they see their doctor but a simple greenie? We're safe enough to work over those :)

At the end of the day, we're professionals and we should all ensure that we are able to work as such. Scare-mongering with clients and saying they should see the doctor for no real reason is not recommended.

Latest posts

Back