Bumpy gel nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you looked at the way you are holding your brush ?

Assuming you are right handed

Holding your clients hand in your left and brush in your right ' rest' your two pinkies against each other and use your right pinky do the work - Hope that makes sense . very difficult to put into words but by holding your brush this way you can 'feather; the gel much easier

have you looked at the way you are holding your brush ?

Assuming you are right handed

Holding your clients hand in your left and brush in your right ' rest' your two pinkies against each other and use your right pinky do the work - Hope that makes sense . very difficult to put into words but by holding your brush this way you can 'feather; the gel much easier

I completely understand what you are saying... basically move my right little finger that is resting on my left, and not moving my hand. I will give that a go. Thanks :)

Yes sort of :D This way your 'pinky; takes some of the weight of your hand so you will not be so heavy on the brush - You hand DOES move but you use your pinky to move it . You need to 'float 'your brush just on the surface of the gel

x

Things to try:

Make sure your brush lies flat against the nail not pointed or digging in.

Check your nails from all angles as you go. Fill any dips with a string of gel or two.

Make sure you have some gel on your brush in order to move the gel around, eg just sticking your brush into the gel to reposition it will cause more dents, but if you put a bit on your brush first then use the gel on the brush to attract, pull & move the other gel round, you'll find it doesn't drag as much.

After you file if you find a dent then paint a thin layer if gel over, lay some strings of gel in the dent and wait for it to settle then recure xx

Yes seen it Fee, thanks. I just can't get the floating right. Heavy handed :(

will just have to keep trying

Plus, I think it would take me 4 hours just to do one hand like that hahhaha

Plus, I think it would take me 4 hours just to do one hand like that hahhaha

I don't think Holly suggests you create your nails that way :) more use those techniques to practise the floating and light touch until you have it down!

If it's something you enjoy, keep at it. Good luck xx

Actually, my blob of gel is alot smaller then that...I find I run out of a nice amount to spread when going across the nail, hence why my brush touches the nail plate??

Looks like I need a bigger bead on there to start with!!

i don't use Brisa myself so i can't help you

but you said your gels used to be lovely...

so i'm curious as to what gel did you used to use and why did you change from it?

i don't use Brisa myself so i can't help you

but you said your gels used to be lovely...

so i'm curious as to what gel did you used to use and why did you change from it?

The Edge lower market Gel. That is why I changed it to better quality. But can't grasp consistency of this one yet. Think I need to apply bigger amounts to spread, without pressing too hard!

Hey there.. I work with a non-leveling builder gel and so I float it across the nail to build arch etc then the brand I use has a gel called tri-coat so I use that over top and fill in all of my dips and I barely have to file at all.. Perhaps using a runnier, self-leveling gel over top and turning the hand upside down to get it into those dips will help you out. I know it works like a charm for me and the tricoat I use is fabulous as it is thick enough that it doesn't run into the sidewalls or eponychium but still levels beautifully.

Couldn't find my other thread to add this in, but...........

Finally after a week of practice building the apex... I think I have mastered floating on Brisa Gel without too much weight, which caused waves and lumps in the gel following curing! I did my mums Infills on Extensions yesterday, and her Arch was perfect, with no lumps or bumps on the whole of the nail. I did circular motions, instead of feathering upwards towards the Eponychium and downwards towards hyponychium. :D

Awww well done hun! Practice definately makes perfect! Its nice that you are pleased with your self thats definately a confidence booster :D keep it up! Xxx

Well done!

Glad youve persevered xx

Well done, it can be hard to master a newer system, and you are much better off with Brisa.

As soon as my UV dies I will be buying the CND Lamp and booking the conversion course. I am so envious

Well done, it can be hard to master a newer system, and you are much better off with Brisa.

As soon as my UV dies I will be buying the CND Lamp and booking the conversion course. I am so envious

You should get your CND lamp in with the cost of your conversion. So you don't need to buy it separately :)

Well done sweetie...the tutorials make it look easy to get that flawless finish
Did my conversion last week and it not as easy as it looks!

They are yes. This is why I am confused.

I do my bonding thin layer of gel
Then builder layer/build apex
Then I do a thinner layer over the top.

Wipe off sticky residue, and then file

Maybe I need to file harder! and not be so scared too get stuck in? but then I worry I will file most of the gel off again!!
If you’re not finding the top and it’s a bumpy, then maybe you should file the top I don’t know maybe that’s just common sense to me, but I don’t know what the initial problem is with the bumpy gel other than your application, but most certainly not filing it. Smooth at the end is your biggest problem

Latest posts

Back