Business re-brand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbowtanning

Reaction score
I need help!! I went to a networking group for the first time yesterday and was basically told that I needed to re-brand! When I started out I was just doing spray tans so I decided to call my business The Rainbow Tanning Company, then when I added more services I changed to Rainbow Tanning and Beauty because I wanted to retain some link to the original business. I have now been told that my logo and business name suggest I just do tanning and seeing how I'm not tanned it gives the impression I don't have faith in product which I understand.

But now I feel completely lost and not sure how to move forward. The lady suggested that I keep Rainbow Tanning for my tanning business but bring in a new website for the beauty or target specific treatments with individual websites. I don't want to lose Rainbow Tanning because I have put a lot of effort and money in to it but not sure how to approach the beauty side of things. Do I choose something like South London Beauty by Rainbow Tanning or do I steer the beauty completely away from the tanning?? I'm just sooooo confused!! :eek:

Oh my god, that doesnt sound like a pleasant and supportive networking group!!! I love the one that I attend and I dont have a tan on everytime I go there but no ones ever said that! Infact I cannot believe the support I have had from the various companies that I attend!

Now I can see why you thought best to change from Rainbow Tanning to Rainbow Tanning and Beauty but to me that suggests you do tanning AND beauty not just tanning! To be honest I dont have tanning in my title and people often dont know I do it till I tell them so surely thats a help more than a hinderance!

Obviously I cant see your logo so cant comment on that but to me your business name spells out what you do! Networking groups that I have attended have been welcoming and supportive, not knocking you down on your first visit!!! Most of the females in my group have booked me as their therapist on numerous occasions and I have got many new client from thier recommendations! I would say believe in your business like you obviously do and attend a different group to see if they improve your confidence rather than knock it!

Thanks Nat Nat, I've attached my logo, let me know what you think.

It was all done relatively nicely, I didn't feel 100% comfortable but then I don't find these things easy and there were sooo many other inspirational women there! I did see what she was saying and things aren't going fantastically well which is why I wanted to go in the first place, so wondered if she had a point!

I just feel like there must be something that I'm doing wrong because I'm not getting regular business just dribs and drabs and it's not doing my confidence any good!! :cry:

Attachments

• Rainbow-Tanning-&-Beauty-Logo.gif
    Rainbow-Tanning-&-Beauty-Logo.gif
    58.8 KB · Views: 202
hi hun,
i just read and looked at your logo and can kinda see where this lady was coming from......the women in your logo are too prominent and give more the impression of tanning

As you have built the business up and have used the name rainbow i would keep the name and just change the logo even if you just remove the women part and just have the words Rainbow Tanning and Beauty and the Rainbow, this way any previous clients will still know who you are just that you have chnged the pics

hope this helps x

I was in the same position a few years ago, my business name was Natural Tan as all I did was spray tanning. When I decided to train in waxing and lashes I decided I needed a whole new identity and chose the business name Ciao Bella, this doesn't tell anyone what I do however on all my stationery I have a tag line of tanning waxing and lash extensions under the Ciao Bella. I haven't got my logo to hand so have taken a screenshot off my website I hope you can see it, it's usually on a white background. I paid a graphic designer to do my logo and his marketing knowledge was a big help. My suggestion for you would be to change to Rainbow Beauty and Tanning or even drop the tanning bit altogether and have a tag line that would specify you do tanning. A good designer is worth so much though.I then emailed all of my clients I have ever had to let them know of the change of name and it has all worke really well. Good luck!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334145462.169337.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334145462.169337.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 147
Okay, taking that on board, I've quickly tried something with the logo, I don't want to move tooo far away from the original as I have it on everything, including my car which isn't soooo easy to change!! So how bout this?

I would of course fade out both ladies but what do you think?

Attachments

• lady fade.jpg
    lady fade.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 137
Also, consider if this is good advice. You are obviously looking for help and looking to make changes. Weigh up this persons advice with your own opinions and decide if you want to go along with it or not.

It's a scary to think of making so many changes but you need to look at this as a fantastic opportunity to improve your business.

It might help to think as though you were starting fresh - what name would you chose and what logo would be the most suitable? You obviously don't want to move too far away from the name and brand you have built up - but don't let that hold you back.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

I was in the same position a few years ago, my business name was Natural Tan as all I did was spray tanning. When I decided to train in waxing and lashes I decided I needed a whole new identity and chose the business name Ciao Bella, this doesn't tell anyone what I do however on all my stationery I have a tag line of tanning waxing and lash extensions under the Ciao Bella. I haven't got my logo to hand so have taken a screenshot off my website I hope you can see it, it's usually on a white background. I paid a graphic designer to do my logo and his marketing knowledge was a big help. My suggestion for you would be to change to Rainbow Beauty and Tanning or even drop the tanning bit altogether and have a tag line that would specify you do tanning. A good designer is worth so much though.I then emailed all of my clients I have ever had to let them know of the change of name and it has all worke really well. Good luck!!

Thanks Laney Pants that's quite helpful, I can't purchase the url for rainbow beauty as it's already gone but have purchased rainbow tanning and beauty and was just thinking about purchasing rainbow beauty and tanning. I think then if I play around with my logo a bit or re-design I might be able to get a better image without moving too far away from rainbow tanning and beauty. This is just all so confusing! I had a lady re-design my logo when I switched from The Rainbow Tanning Company. Of course I chose Rainbow because it's my nic name, so I could always just change to Beauty Therapies by Rainbow!!

How about keeping the "Rainbow Tanning and Beauty" as the index page of your site with a rainbow as suggested for your logo iykwim, then seperate pages on your site, Rainbow tanning with your existing logo as the header for your tanning info, prices, prep and aftercare, another page for beauty with a new logo similar colors but with a couple of beauties or nails or something as the header picture/logo and then a seperate "contact us page. That way your clients can navigate to the service they want all on one site. It wont be very dificult to do, just make sure that your keywords reflect all the services you offer. Good luck. I have a similar problem and changed my business name :( but kept my old site, now I have to check 3 different email accounts, ( 3 different sites) and I have to maintain and update 3 different websites. Not very nice. Unfortunately "Tanfastic" cant really incorporate other services. Hey ho

Don't rush into anything, have a good play around. It took me about 6 months to decide on Ciao Bella which was my original thought in the first place! I couldn't get that URL either as there's lots of Italian restaurants with the name so I took ciaobellashrewsbury instead. but it definately is like a fresh start which is a fab opportunity really xx

Don't rush into anything, have a good play around. It took me about 6 months to decide on Ciao Bella which was my original thought in the first place! I couldn't get that URL either as there's lots of Italian restaurants with the name so I took ciaobellashrewsbury instead. but it definately is like a fresh start which is a fab opportunity really xx

Oh I'm trying not to but I'm such a now, now, now person it's hard to wait!! The other thing to consider is that I'm studying massage at the moment and will be finished in July so maybe dropping the whole tanning from the name would be best and simply have Rainbows Beauty Treatments/Therapy/Services or something similar, that gives me two keywords in my url if I can get it. Then I can keep my rainbowtanning url just for tanning and manage two separate sites............

How about keeping the "Rainbow Tanning and Beauty" as the index page of your site with a rainbow as suggested for your logo iykwim, then seperate pages on your site, Rainbow tanning with your existing logo as the header for your tanning info, prices, prep and aftercare, another page for beauty with a new logo similar colors but with a couple of beauties or nails or something as the header picture/logo and then a seperate "contact us page. That way your clients can navigate to the service they want all on one site. It wont be very dificult to do, just make sure that your keywords reflect all the services you offer. Good luck. I have a similar problem and changed my business name :( but kept my old site, now I have to check 3 different email accounts, ( 3 different sites) and I have to maintain and update 3 different websites. Not very nice. Unfortunately "Tanfastic" cant really incorporate other services. Hey ho

Hi Tanfastic,

Do you mean like having different url's for different services but that all link together to give the impression of one site? I was also told that it would be an idea to find the most popular search terms for specific treatments, buy the url and then have it link to my site or a copy of my site.

Hi, this is an interesting thread and I have to agree that the networking group doesn't sound that supportive. My suggestion with re-branding is much what others have said - take your time to get it right and also, ask your clients what they think - like a little bit of informal market research. They are your best advocates and know you and your salon and by getting them involved, you're cementing their loyalty and sending the message that you value them as clients - and their opinion. Also, if you do go ahead with the rebrand, use the opportunity to get maximum exposure when you launch. It sounds like you have a lot invested in 'Rainbow' and you need to leverage that. The logo is only a visual representation of your business. Think about how you want to position yourself under a new brand. What will you stand for? What will be your point of difference? How will you talk about your salon in any marketing material or networking events. These questions will help you with your salon name, tagline and logo.

Hi, this is an interesting thread and I have to agree that the networking group doesn't sound that supportive. My suggestion with re-branding is much what others have said - take your time to get it right and also, ask your clients what they think - like a little bit of informal market research. They are your best advocates and know you and your salon and by getting them involved, you're cementing their loyalty and sending the message that you value them as clients - and their opinion. Also, if you do go ahead with the rebrand, use the opportunity to get maximum exposure when you launch. It sounds like you have a lot invested in 'Rainbow' and you need to leverage that. The logo is only a visual representation of your business. Think about how you want to position yourself under a new brand. What will you stand for? What will be your point of difference? How will you talk about your salon in any marketing material or networking events. These questions will help you with your salon name, tagline and logo.

Hi BizGirl, that's given me even more to think about! In a good way of course :biggrin:! Subject to me changing my mind I want my business to represent a service for women who feel daunted by the prospect of going to a salon to have their beauty treatments or who don't have a lot of spare time, ensuring that every woman gets the opportunity to look and feel great. I also want it to tell people that I assist natural beauty, you're not going to have a treatment with me and walk away looking like a glamour model. I therefore want to keep the name catchy but straight forward and am quite liking Simply Beauty...............what do you think?

i think you need to keep the rainbow part as you said it is your nickname, so much nicer to have something that means something to you, also you have grown the business with the name rainbow........

maybe just have rainbow with nails.tanning.beauty underneath??

the logo looks much better with just one lady x

Hi BizGirl, that's given me even more to think about! In a good way of course :biggrin:! Subject to me changing my mind I want my business to represent a service for women who feel daunted by the prospect of going to a salon to have their beauty treatments or who don't have a lot of spare time, ensuring that every woman gets the opportunity to look and feel great. I also want it to tell people that I assist natural beauty, you're not going to have a treatment with me and walk away looking like a glamour model. I therefore want to keep the name catchy but straight forward and am quite liking Simply Beauty...............what do you think?

From a marketing perspective, your line of reasoning is spot on in this scenario - and Simply Beauty is a great name that I think would speak nicely to the target group you mention. Quick question...do you target this same group of people (ie daunted by the prospect of going to a salon etc) under your current Rainbow brand? If so, then I would question a full rebrand. You did mention that you'd invested a lot in the Rainbow brand and it would be a shame to lose this if there is brand equity from your current client base. If you did move away to something completely different, then you might want to consider somehow leveraging the Rainbow brand ie visually into the logo (for example) and I would definately involve your current clients so that they are part of the process and understand it is still you but under a new brand. Sorry if this is a bit technical...brands and rebranding are my passion :)

No offense but having tanning before beauty sounds odd. It is focusing your attention on single service you offer... then mentioning all the other services 2nd to that. If I was a client I might wonder on your skills of your other services.

If you really want to to keep Rainbow tanning, I would have two separate names and link the two on website and pamphlets.

Hard decision!! If it was me I would change name all together...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

hmm sorry but response seem to upload very delayed!! Simply Beauty with a rainbow logo sounds good!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I started out specializing in nails then added waxing and then qualified in massage in June. My original biz name was beautiful nails which after a while seemed to become a popular name and ladies were suprised when they found out I didn't just do nails.
I couldn't get a web address I wanted and as i had used my tagline ... For a beautiful you. That became my web address and it seemed like a natural progression to change my name to beautiful you! Carl at verve design has been a gem and designed my new logo and all my clients are loving the re brand its given me the push to fine tune my biz and make it something I'm proud about !
Try and think of this as a positive thing and a fab oppertunity to define ur brand after all a good logo, web name and site is the first thing your potential clients will see along with your marketing stationary.
Sorry I've babbled just wanted you to know your not the only one who's changed direction, and wish you lots of luck. Can't wait to see what you decide xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

From a marketing perspective, your line of reasoning is spot on in this scenario - and Simply Beauty is a great name that I think would speak nicely to the target group you mention. Quick question...do you target this same group of people (ie daunted by the prospect of going to a salon etc) under your current Rainbow brand? If so, then I would question a full rebrand. You did mention that you'd invested a lot in the Rainbow brand and it would be a shame to lose this if there is brand equity from your current client base. If you did move away to something completely different, then you might want to consider somehow leveraging the Rainbow brand ie visually into the logo (for example) and I would definately involve your current clients so that they are part of the process and understand it is still you but under a new brand. Sorry if this is a bit technical...brands and rebranding are my passion :)

I don't feel that Rainbow Tanning and Beauty as a business name targets that group of people. My marketing does state that I operate a mobile service and my landing page does state that I believe the best way for someone to get the full benefits of a treatment is from the comfort of their own home but it is more directed towards those that are short on time.

Latest posts

Back