Business started up with same name as me - any advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
A friend of mine has let me know that a facebook friend of hers (who I don't know) has shared someone's page who has just started up a nail business locally with exactly the same name as mine.

I have been going 10 years so just a small amount of market research would have resulted in her finding me in local directories, page 1 of google searches for nails in my area, etc

She's advertising via her facebook page very cheap nails as she is still training which is fair enough.

I am not in panic mode as I don't envisage that it will make any difference to my business, but surely (and as my friend pointed out) you're not supposed to trde under the same business name as someone else locally? It could get confusing at some point.

I am not a limited company or anything so is there anything I ought to be doing? Should I message her and if so what should I say? Obv don't want to cause offence as she could be completely unaware and probably won't want the same name as me either.

Any advice welcome xx

That happened to me when I first started up although it was me who had picked the same name as someone else, even though I did a search nothing of the same name came up in my area. The lady phoned and explained the situation and what treatments she was doing (let's just say I was glad that she did phone, as her treatments included extras!)

I would phone her and explain how long you have been going and that it would be confusing for both sets of clients if there are 2 businesses trading under the same name in the same area x

"you're not supposed to trade under the same business name as someone else locally?"

That only applies if your name is trademarked/copywritten. If it's not, there is literally nothing you can do.

The only time it's against the law is if the person is "passing off" as you, in that they're pretending to be your business. Which I assume isn't the case.

that's a tough situation. There may not be anything you can legally do. But it won't hurt to give her a polite phone call letting her know the situation. She might want to switch it if she didn't know about your business, or there may be a compromise you both can agree on.

good luck :)

Yes I think I will contact her....it will have to be on facebook atm as there are no contact numbers for her on there

I have been trying to think how to word my message but haven't come up with anything I like, any ideas?

Hi, don't mean to sound rude contacting you via facebook, but I couldn't find a number for you to contact you via telephone.
I have been informed by a client of mine that you have begun trading but are trading under the same name as my business, perhaps you didn't realise this? Im not intending to be funny what so ever i just thought id bring it to your attention, i have used this business name for the last 10 years, I'd appreciate if you could alter your name as it may cause some confusion for each of us in the near future. Thanks.

*or maybe something similar? xx

Latest posts

Back