Calgel blending and wrapping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex_24

Reaction score
Hi i've only been using calgel for about 4 months now and although I am getting there with application etc, im still finding it hard wrapping the gel around the nail, especially some colours come away from the side walls and tip really quick. Also having problem blending the tips so that you cannot see them at all. I would really appreciate any help thanks xx :)

hi pet! have tried joining their facebook page? there is a new dicussion about blending tips... i also struggle with certain colours i.e. purple pearl so i just do less nails at at time... you should never be scared to ring them at head office either... the girls are totally lovely and really know their stuff! xxx

Hi i've only been using calgel for about 4 months now and although I am getting there with application etc, im still finding it hard wrapping the gel around the nail, especially some colours come away from the side walls and tip really quick. Also having problem blending the tips so that you cannot see them at all. I would really appreciate any help thanks xx :)

Dry brushing the base layer after it has cured has been helping with some of the Bio Sculpture colours which seem to pull back more & as Calgel is near enough the same it might be worth giving it a try. x

Yes dry brushing or removing the inhibition layer slightly (I use a little piece of kitchen roll )after the first cure stops the shrinkage and pull back.
You will find this is something that just gets easier and easier the more confident and experienced you get you can also just work two fingers at a time at first then freeze for about 10 secs and carry on.Also work your first layer in well and use the right sized brush for the size of the nail.
Most colours are fine but there are some that are prone to shrinkage and the white in a french is difficult to hold in place when you are fiddling around trying to get a nice smile.
Be aware though not to overcure your whites and clear otherwise it will yellow.

Quote:
Be aware though not to overcure your whites and clear otherwise it will yellow.

Thank you for that, I didn't know.

Hello sorry to ask but could you explain about dry brushing to stop Calgel shrinkage in a little more detail. It would really help me.You said you remove a little of the inhibition layer with kitchen towel I just wondered how much is a little and if you can remove too much. Thanks

Moo Moo

Hello sorry to ask but could you explain about dry brushing to stop Calgel shrinkage in a little more detail. It would really help me.You said you remove a little of the inhibition layer with kitchen towel I just wondered how much is a little and if you can remove too much. Thanks

Moo Moo

Just a very light wipe just to get rid of some of the inhibition layer but so it is still sticky.If not sure do it with a dry brush.
I got the idea from the gelish application and thoght i would see if it works for Calgel and it does.I do it on the first clear layer on the nail, and not always, only on the colours i know can shrink back or go fuzzy at the edge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. As its dry brushing am I right in thinking you don't use Calguard on the kitchen towel or brush.

Moo Moo

Thanks for the help. As its dry brushing am I right in thinking you don't use Calguard on the kitchen towel or brush.

Moo Moo

No don't use calguard.If you ever calguard between layers you would then need to lightly buff again.

Just use a dry or wiped brush it doesnt have to be completely dry but wipe it all over the inhibition layer and nail to remove some of it and then re wipe the brush with kitchen roll (or whatever you use which doesnt leave bits) so you can use it again for the other nails.

Im useless at explaining things have a look on the Gelish site or group.

Just a very light wipe just to get rid of some of the inhibition layer but so it is still sticky.If not sure do it with a dry brush.
I got the idea from the gelish application and thoght i would see if it works for Calgel and it does.I do it on the first clear layer on the nail and not always only on the colours i know can shrink back or go fuzzy at the edge.

I will be forever grateful to Gillian for this technique... I use a dry brush and just wipe from cuticle to free edge to remove the inhibition layer (I use Bio Sculpture) and it works a treat... I used to do two nails at a time and then cure as I would get so much shrinkage, but now can do the whole hand.

Thank you again Gillian. :hug:

I have only just had a moment to log on and find the additional information about dry brushing. Just wanted to add my thanks for the help to Gillian thank you very much thats such a help.

Moo Moo:)

Latest posts

Back