Calling all beauty educators

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie H

Reaction score
Hello, I was looking for/at distance learning courses last night and found this
Beauty Therapist distance learning course, home study courses, correspondence courses
Can anybody tell me, if they have heard of them, is the course a good one, would you recomend them, good, bad indifferent. I'd like some feed back please.
Attending collage is not possible for me but if this course is good, I can afford it, have the time to do it and it would actually for fill a dream for me that I have sadly given up on as impractical.
If this is one of those that you feel should have STAY THE HELL AWAY written in big red letters across it. Then could anyone tell me of something with a similar setup that is a good one.
Many thanks :hug::hug:

Hi, I think the course you have found would give you a good introduction to beauty therapy. However I wouldn't think it would qualify you to actually get out there and practice. Looking at the course content, it doesn't cover everything on the NVQ 2 Syllabus.

There are quite a few private colleges that do home study, however in order to get a recognised, useful qualification, you really need to be doing some face to face study as well.

HTH, Joy x

Susie, I wouldn't do it tbh. Look for short intensive courses in your area, do one at a time to suit your time frame/purse.

Susie, I wouldn't do it tbh. Look for short intensive courses in your area, do one at a time to suit your time frame/purse.

Thanks for the replies:hug:
Ok, the course does give a recognized qualification, I checked out the body that gives it, it comes with practical sessions that you pay for on top of the course, that was my concern too, so I delved deeper, I was going to contact them Tuesday to see exactly who, where and how much to do the practical work. But that was why I asked for advise on here:confused:
Around here, I have my collage, two year full time course, full of 16 year old chav's, the course is crap and I don't have 2 years to spend.
There is Sally's:rolleyes:
There is proffecional choice. I have met some of the girls who have done their "intensive 3 day nail course" All three systems covered:zzz:
Thats it.
So could someone please tell me what this course does not cover, why I shouldn't do it, who I can study with to get a "real" qualification that will do what this one says it does, but doesn't. i.e. distance learn the theory while attending something face to face for the practical.
I am going out of my mind with boredom, I need to learn something that is going to stretch me again, but the only way I can afford to do that is to keep driving my mind numbing busses :irked:
Help, please:hug:

Anyone? Please?

Anyone? Please?

Susie, what courses do you want to do hun?

As ive found a beauty place in your area that teaches Massage? xx

Hi Susie, if i am being completely honest i would sat that a distance/home based course is not going to arm you with the expert skills you will need as a beauty therapist. I have no prior experience with the company, so this is just a generalised opinion on home learning.

I feel that any potentially good therapist needs one to one guidance and support, and this can only be obtained by having someone there teaching/guiding you. Although this company offers practical lessons at additional cost :)irked: this should be an integral and incorporated part of any worthwhile course imo), learning new treatments requires practice, and if you are studying at home, you may not realise that you you are doing something incorrectly, and therefore put large amounts of time and effort in doing things the wrong way.

It is a shame that the colleges near you only offer full time courses, they need to open up opportunities and offer part time day and/or evening courses :grr:

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do

x

Susie, what courses do you want to do hun?

As ive found a beauty place in your area that teaches Massage? xx

I like the idea of doing the whole beauty therapist diploma, like the one I've given the link to. But if the qualification at the end isn't worth the paper its written on then its not worth doing:irked: I was hoping someone on here had heard of the collage or could tell me of a good one that does the same thing.

Well hun there are private colleges out there who do offer NVQ Level 2 training via face to face and home study combinations. Try googling beauty training and see what comes up.

In a nutshell: If you want to be self-employed an accredited in-house diploma will do, if you want to work in a salon/spa then go for the NVQ 2, and if you want to work abroad or on cruise ships go for an International Qualification.

before i did my itec i went to herts and essez acadamy and they offered the nvq but you had to send in case studies and go back for exams which i couldnt do as it was the other end of the country , lol
there are places that do offer then though xxx

Hi Susie, if i am being completely honest i would sat that a distance/home based course is not going to arm you with the expert skills you will need as a beauty therapist. I have no prior experience with the company, so this is just a generalised opinion on home learning.

I feel that any potentially good therapist needs one to one guidance and support, and this can only be obtained by having someone there teaching/guiding you. Although this company offers practical lessons at additional cost :)irked: this should be an integral and incorporated part of any worthwhile course imo), learning new treatments requires practice, and if you are studying at home, you may not realise that you you are doing something incorrectly, and therefore put large amounts of time and effort in doing things the wrong way.

It is a shame that the colleges near you only offer full time courses, they need to open up opportunities and offer part time day and/or evening courses :grr:

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do

x
Exactly, this is my point, also I have been told that the collage course is not giving the training it is supposed to.
Is there no where that offers a course that gives the good training at an affordable price?

I'm doing an Itec course, it's not full of 16yr olds!!!
Its for 1 year, and the qualification is higher than a NVQ. I'm 33yrs old and changing my career.
These things take time, if you want to do it properly.
Good Luck.:)

Thanks hun, but I can't do massage, I have a couple of medical conditions that stop me from doing anything that physical:hug:
Also I was looking at the whole deal, the business side too.
Don't worry I got the replies I was after, which is no one has heard of this collage and no one has heard of the ncfe which Stowbridge say is an independent awarding body. But if none of the educators have heard of them then they can't be that independent can they? If I do move to the USA this year then I need qualifications I can take to the state exam board.
I was hopeing that the ncfe level 3 was going to be the same as an nvq 3, when I looked in dept at the course contents it seemed to cover a heck of a lot in each module but, again I know nothing about this sort of thing.
And yes I know not all collages are full of chavs
But mine is, I know I pick them up on my number 16 bus:green: I find it difficult enough to put up with them for the 20 minute journey never mind a course and at the moment I am the main wage earner, not Paul so I couldn't do a collage course.
But big thankyou to all:hug::hug:

Don't get me wrong hun - I have heard of Stonebridge and NCFE. They do a huge range of home study courses, some of which, if I'm honest look really interesting. It's just that the Beauty course you were looking at with is not really high enough. I don't want to be dismissive of another company which is why I said it would give you a good introduction.

If you are thinking of going to the States then you really ought to be looking at an International qualification. Basically that does what it says on the tin, and would take you all over the world with no recognition or insurance worries.

xx

Don't get me wrong hun - I have heard of Stonebridge and NCFE. They do a huge range of home study courses, some of which, if I'm honest look really interesting. It's just that the Beauty course you were looking at with is not really high enough. I don't want to be dismissive of another company which is why I said it would give you a good introduction.

If you are thinking of going to the States then you really ought to be looking at an International qualification. Basically that does what it says on the tin, and would take you all over the world with no recognition or insurance worries.

xx

Thank you:hug: that's what I was after.
Do you have any links you could point me at, please:confused:

I don't think that any distance learning course will give you the grounding that you need. To be honest, even if you plan to work for yourself, nothing beats salon experience.

I second Hippy-Chicks comments. Find really good accredited courses on each subject and learn that way. xxx

I have recently had a student contact me that has done training with this company for nail training and does not know how to do anything practically. She feels really let down by the company as it promised so much and it is costing her a lot more money to re train, she feels she wasted money on this course. She is qualified on paper from the course but practically a lot of work is needed. Personally I would rather do practical based training. I am sure this course is ok if you already work in a salon with someone to give you practical training alongside.

Have you looked at The Carlton Institute?

They seem to have mixed responses on here but I am training with them and think they are just what I was looking for.

I too am looking to move abroad and have done there intense courses to fit around work and family to gain Diplomas and starter knowledge then gone on to do IHBC (International Health and Beauty Council) qualifications which is international recognised and the equivilent to an NVQ. This is home study with case samples then physical assessments before being awarded the IHBC.

It all comes down to personal preference and requirements, they are fine for me and as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open and are aware the 1 or 2 day modules are to gain a basic knowledge but practice is what makes perfect then you would be fine. I attend the Leicester centre as I am also in Northampton. My end assessments will be in Windsor however if I send the portfolios in together I can do them all on one day so will not have to keep going to Windsor.

If you need anymore help shout. Good Luck :green:

Latest posts

Back