Can anyone explain WHY home colours are bad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbie*

Reaction score
Before I get started I have my hair done professionally and always will do!

However, my sister is a nice'n'easy addict, she does her roots every three weeks with the 'natural light neutral summer blonde' or whatever it's called, then occasionally does some bleach through the top to stop herself looking like a fuzzy yellow chicken..

Now i've tried to tell her 15 million times how bad home colours are for her hair, but she wont listen and insists it's in good condition. So I was just wondering if someone could explain to me WHY nice'n'easy and the like are so bad, so I can finally convince her to go back to salon highlights? (I don't think she knows but her hair is very orange toned, I don't have the heart to tell her as she thinks it looks great..)

Thanks Girls :) Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place! x

Before I get started I have my hair done professionally and always will do!

However, my sister is a nice'n'easy addict, she does her roots every three weeks with the 'natural light neutral summer blonde' or whatever it's called, then occasionally does some bleach through the top to stop herself looking like a fuzzy yellow chicken..

Now i've tried to tell her 15 million times how bad home colours are for her hair, but she wont listen and insists it's in good condition. So I was just wondering if someone could explain to me WHY nice'n'easy and the like are so bad, so I can finally convince her to go back to salon highlights? (I don't think she knows but her hair is very orange toned, I don't have the heart to tell her as she thinks it looks great..)

Thanks Girls :) Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place! x

Good question ..... well for one thing for sure is they all have only one strength of developer for everyone .....and this in itself can cause endless problems....

I have looked inside these boxes in the supermarket .... and you will never be able to discover what strength the developer is because !..... its simply doesn't tell you !.... and that's very bad ....

You may find that consumers with a bad experiences will be able to tell you a lot more about these boxed home colours than we possibly can

because we never ever use them....

As we are trained to use professional colours only .....

But.... we do see the fall out of using such super strong home boxed products.... as we have to correct over dyed jet back hair and nurse over lightened broken blonde hair back to health again

these products have to be super strong to cover every single head and cover all that grey hair too .... so you just never know what you are putting on your hair and scalp
and usually people just plonk box colours on ... and hope for the best .. :eek:

I have never ever seen a professional result come out of these boxes ..... and that goes for the bleach as well ..... that's where those orange heads come in to us with orange blobs and tiger stripes for major colour correction jobs :) hth minky

Home hair colours have a different composition to salon colours. They are not allowed to sell and use the chemicals we use as we are trained in their use.
This means that home colours have to work on a massively wide range of natural hair colours and get a uniform result.
A hairdresser can choose properly, and alter the strength of the product using different strengths of hydrogen peroxide. Home hair colours simply all use top strength.

I can tell a home hair job from fifty paces. Flat uniform colour, degraded cuticle, thinning of the ends of the hair, fuzziness at the roots, and a slight greenish caste.

If you wanna look good, these products are not for you. If you wanna look slightly cheap........

the list is endless, metallic compounds, unmeasurable peroxide strength, unkilled application, over development time, no consideration of the natural colour and base of client hair, and i think the most dangerous thing about them is no one patch tests with them and they have celebrity sponsors (sell outs) who big up these brands and quite clearly DO NOT use them i there own salons HAH. . . what a joke that wud be. like persian et al have said, we can spot em a mile off. and those who think they can fool a pro are deluded, its easy to spot swollen parched hair. x

I think you answered your own question. Stand your sister in front of the mirror and look at her hair. These double process kits always result in orange, dry hi-lites. Be honest with her, really honest, how hair hair looks.

i had to explain to someone the other day why box kits aren't good or their hair, and i said about there only being one peroxide strength, not considering the natural base and tone of the hair etc.
it's really interesting to read this thread to get even more information about box colours, even though i wish they would stop selling them :twisted:

Latest posts

Back