Can anyone help recovering data from an Excel workbook?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHBeauty

Reaction score
First of all I want to moan. Why do computers always mess up my files! I have already had a corrupt c drive or soething and lost ALL my saved data. I rarely back up (big mistake you'd think id learn!), now soemthing else has happened. I have gone to add some data into my book keeping spread sheet and it says "excel found unreadable content in XYZ file"

I can open it and luckily all the numbers are there, but all the borders are gone all the words and all of the equations. I can sit here for hours and enter into a new psread sheet, luckily I have the origianl spread sheet saved, i "save as" at the start of a new tax year.

Does anyone know if i can get the data back? without spending the next 3 hours re-entering all the info?

Thanks in advance.

x

PS I may go back to paper book keeping at this rate!

I'm sorry hon I don't understand the question?

You have the original spreadsheet with the equations/words in

or

You have the copy of the 'full' spread with the data in?

Sorry chick can't work out what you have & haven't got xx

I bought a simple x D template from somewhere on the internet.

I then enter in daily taking out goings etc. All the data I entered is on the documtment (excel spread sheet) but all the titles and equations which were on the template have gone :( so im left with a page with loads of figures on. Any words I had typed had also disaperered I can only see the numbers :(

I was wodnering if there was a way I could recover all the titles and equations within that document.

I am happy the data is still there, and I can copy it into a new spreadsheet its just a hell of alot of work!

I have attached the pic of the gone wrong spead sheet and what it should look like.

Attachments

• gone wrong excel doc.jpg
    gone wrong excel doc.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 208
  • good excel doc.jpg
    good excel doc.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 966
I bought a simple x D template from somewhere on the internet.

I was wodnering if there was a way I could recover all the titles and equations within that document.

Equations are often the painful bit. As you say you bought the original template, do you not have the blank template - in which case you could presumably just copy the values into there?

Equations are often the painful bit. As you say you bought the original template, do you not have the blank template - in which case you could presumably just copy the values into there?

Yes but when I copy and paste all the cells are unmerged, without borders etc.

I will do it that way as i cant find a solution, it will take me ages but that'll teach me. At least I have the important bit, now to find somewhere decent and easy to back it up!

Alternatively we have a free tool that does the same job on our website: Salon Software Home

just look in the free stuff section. [you don't need to sign up or anything like that]

Go to the folder that your spreadsheet is saved in
click on the spreadsheet once to highlight it
Right click and select properties
Hopefully, you have a tab on the top right of the properties pop-up box which says 'Previous versions'. click that.
If your computer has saved a previous version it will show here. Click on the version before it became corrupted and open. You will then have to re-save the spreadsheet and add any missing data.

P.S. When you file/save as the document if you go into (i think) the options button you can click a box which will 'always create backup'. I don't have access to Excel at this moment so I'm doing this from memory

HTH

Thanks, I will try the ideas tomorrow :)

You could also email a copy to yourself every few days? (then delete previous copies from your email obviously as will block up your emails lol) just so you have a back up if you can't find any other easy back ups xxx

Go to the folder that your spreadsheet is saved in
click on the spreadsheet once to highlight it
Right click and select properties
Hopefully, you have a tab on the top right of the properties pop-up box which says 'Previous versions'. click that.
If your computer has saved a previous version it will show here. Click on the version before it became corrupted and open. You will then have to re-save the spreadsheet and add any missing data.

P.S. When you file/save as the document if you go into (i think) the options button you can click a box which will 'always create backup'. I don't have access to Excel at this moment so I'm doing this from memory

HTH

You have saved my life!! I want to reach through m screen and hug you.

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply, I went to previous versions and there it was! with only 1 weeks worth of data to input.

Jemima xxx

MS Excel files can get damaged due to various reasons like header file corruption, availability of bad sectors on storage media, abrupt closing of MS Excel due to power sabotage, improper system shut down while file is in use, virus attacks, etc. Whatever is the reason behind damage; use Kernel for Excel file repair tool to immediately restore all the inaccessible and lost data due to corruption.

Latest posts

Back