Can U Learn Indian Head Massage In A Day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Is this a dumb question????

I know there must be LOTS involved but i do have some a&p and massage experience with my nvq level 2 beauty .....

There is a course on sunday (with some spaces i may add !!)

Is it going to be a waste of MOOLA or should i do it?

You get a diploma at the end of the day if you are competent.

CONFUSED !

Amb xx

I would say NO!!!! We have courses in Norwich near me that do this course in a day and I can not see how you can. The course is £185 so even if it was just going to give me an insight into IHM I would not pay this far too much.

I have been told that you have to learn all the bones in the head and other things like this and I would need more than a day to do this.

Caz xxx:irked:

I agree with Caz, a waste of money IMVHO, I dont think 1 day is long wought to cover every aspect of a technique, the related AP&H and be competent to perform the treatment on clients.
KxXx

Hi Amber,

tricky one this, I am doing a course in IHM at the moment, it's a three month course of one day a week at college of four hours. You need the A+P diploma in order to do the course.
At the end of the course you will get a diploma certificate if successfull, (ITEC),.
The course is very involved, we have to do a certain number of case studies, each having three treatments, and have a fully written up presentation on each client. and this is in addittion to a theory exam, a practical, and course assessment.
I did a taster course 2 years ago and loved it, hence the ITEC one now, it has changed enormously.
Not been much help really have I? but I don't feel I could achieve too much in one day.

Christine

Ditto to the above posts, you do NEED to know all the bones of the head and cranium, all the muscles, and all the bones and muscles of the neck, shoulders, back and arms........so dont get your splenius capitus mixed up with your serratus anterior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or your zygomaticus confused with your sphenoid!!

Christine

OMG!!!! see what I meant I think I was right I would need a year to learn all this LOL!!!!!:eek:

Good luck Christine in your course.

Caz xxx

Christine G said:
Ditto to the above posts, you do NEED to know all the bones of the head and cranium, all the muscles, and all the bones and muscles of the neck, shoulders, back and arms........so dont get your splenius capitus mixed up with your serratus anterior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or your zygomaticus confused with your sphenoid!!

Christine

IHM is so easy - you would be wasting your time and money pet- i could give you instructions on how to do this - but you wouldnt be a recognised qualified therapist - i done this about 3 years ago and still need to look at the destrustions as i dont do it that often and i dont advertise the fact athat i am qualified - if there no call or it - dont do it

Amber I started this last year but gave up because I just didn't enjoy it. As you are laready a qualified (and award winning!!!) therapist you will probably know a fair amount of A&P, and if there are bits you haven't covered then you can learn it anyway. We had covered the whole of the routine by the second week and they were only three hour sessions - the whole routine only takes something like 30 minutes.

In my experience these long college courses just faff about half the time, they have such big classes that they only cover half of what you get on short courses with small classes as they have to keep stopping and starting to help those that "just don't get it"! And at least half of the course is spent on case studies and getting a tick in the box for your assessments. ( and as we have so often heard on here, people end up going on the short courses because the tutors are not always that great there)

I would say go for it Amber, with your previous beauty experience I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll only do short courses now as I feel competent to practice at home, and follow up with further courses to get to an advanced level - it's no difference to doing a 4 day course in nails, practicing at home and then going back for further training.

Only down side, will you be covered for insurance?

Depending on the size of the class and how good the tutor is I think as you already have A&P and a massage qualification,yes you could do it.
If its an 8 hour day and a maximum of 1 hour in breaks, you can learn a lot in 7 hours.
So much of my college course was spent wasted on reading, theory etc. that could have been done at home.
I did an advanced IHM course in one day.
I would imagine it would nearly all be practical.
Its like a lot of things though you would need to practise continously afterwards to keep it in your head.
I did an IHM yesterday that lasted 40minutes and 24 on monday that were taster sessions of 10 minutes. Its a good string to add to your bow.
Phone them up and ask how many are in the class, how much is practical etc.

I would of said go for it and i would of been with you if i wasn't already going to london!
we did all the A+P in our college course, so you'll be fine with the theory to it no probs. all i would say is i can remeber how i find it quite hard to remember the routine for the facial (although we did have a CRAP teacher for that part of the course) i'm sure you'll be fine!!

we have a IH massager (is that the right word) come round to our work once a month to destress people whilst on there computers....maybe a nother way to get the clients streaming in???

XXX

heres the link

http://www.healinglodge.co.uk/indianheadmassage/indianheadmassagetraining.asp

think i may go for it !

Really want to do it and cant justify a long college course!

Its like my hopi ear candle course there was a long college course for that....now that was a joke! I did my course in one day no probs and had to do some case studies and an exam at home....i prefer to do it this way.

Amb x

Amb x

Amber, i'll do it with you! as long as you get some sort of certificate at the end i'd def be up for it!

Toni Talons said:
Amber, i'll do it with you! as long as you get some sort of certificate at the end i'd def be up for it!

UP FOR IT???????????????????? Check out the link.....if you happy with it

Ring me and i'll book us in!

Amb x

No.

I have just started to teach IHM, and you won't learn it all properly in one day. You'll forget half of what you've learned as you can only take so much in in one go.

ok im confussed (dont take much):o
if we do the short courses are we insured to work in a salon?
i guess it depends on what insurence they have?

ooops

well against some of your advice i have booked myself on the course...along with TONI Talons.

Will report back tomorrow.

I feel comfortable with the knowledge that i learnt on my level2 beauty therapy....just need to grasp the massage sequence....if not ! ive lost a few bob!

Never mind!

Amb x

MINKUS said:
ooops

well against some of your advice i have booked myself on the course...along with TONI Talons.

Will report back tomorrow.

I feel comfortable with the knowledge that i learnt on my level2 beauty therapy....just need to grasp the massage sequence....if not ! ive lost a few bob!

Never mind!

Amb x
GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH!!! Let us know how it goes xxx

I woudnt say you could learn it in a day, ive done ihm and it took me a year

could you learn nails in a day?

I think it's the same with all treatments :) Even if you do have a massage and anatomy certificate, I don't think you can learn all that you would need to in a day.

well guys did the course today, loved it!

Im glad i did know my facial muscles, and the bones of the skull....a bit about blood flow and lymph etc

pretty much knew all the contraindications or 'absorbed' the info i didnt!

Got a nice thick booklet to refer to with all the massage moves (LOADS of em) carried out the massage and had it done to me..

I am happy i will be able to do the treatment to a satisfactory standard.

As i say, ive my beauty knowledge that helped LOADS so just gotta prcatice like mad now !

Thanks for the replies.

Amb x

Latest posts

Back