Can you mix Shellac colors? Not just layer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna from Toronto

Reaction score
That's my question ;)
I know that we can layer them but I tried today and I mixed couple colors and they bubbled few hours later :((
I added some Mascarade to Rose Bud and some Iced Cappuccino & Iced Coral to Black Pool (that turned out gorgeous, just like Chanel's "Black Pearl")
I shook the heck out of them, so they were mixed properly and after few hours they look like they like polish when it's applied too thick and it bubbles after it dries.:Scared:

That's my question ;)
I know that we can layer them but I tried today and I mixed couple colors and they bubbled few hours later :((
I added some Mascarade to Rose Bud and some Iced Cappuccino & Iced Coral to Black Pool (that turned out gorgeous, just like Chanel's "Black Pearl")
I shook the heck out of them, so they were mixed properly and after few hours they look like they like polish when it's applied too thick and it bubbles after it dries.:Scared:
As far as I'm aware I think you have answered your own question! You shouldn't mix Shellac colours only layer them

Yep definite no no! Layering or additives only chick no mixing that's for the scientists!

Hi Anna, you can only layer Shellac, not mix colors.

I bet that black pearl color is fab. :)

Because each Shellac colour is individually formulated, you cannot mix them. Each colour coat contains different pigments and photo-initiators and as the others have said, you'll only mess with the chemistry if you mix them together.

HTHs

Thanks for the answers ladies!
There was a thread on the american forum and as far as I can remember someone said that one of the CND educators said that you can.
Actually one of the local educators once advised me to mix a little Clearly Pink to Romantique to make it less opaque.... so I wondered....
By the way, that was only an experiment and I used the mixed Shellac on myself.

I'm having a tussle on Facebook right now with an American tech who does lovely work but is telling everyone she mixes Shellac colours all the time and the lasting ability is fab etc etc. WELL ................

CND tell us not to (as tempting as it is) :biggrin: As said above. Each colour is individually formulated and the amount of photo-initiators varies with different colours so if you mix them you throw the chemistry out, and either service breakdown (as you have seen, Anna ... And by the way lovely to see you here after a long absence) or under curing or even over-curing/shock curing, can result.

Doug explained very well in his webinar the other night (which everyone should see and there is a link on my FB page) so those who mix, do so at their own risk.

We can layer, we have additives and we have oodles of choice and options without messing about with the cure time or risking clients service longevity or their well-being ... Not to mention our businesses!!

That's heartbreaking ;)
You have no idea how gorgeous the color is that i mixed! Just like Chanel's Black Pearl! It was too good to be true!! < sniff, sniff >
Thank you Geeg for the response!!

I'm having a tussle on Facebook right now with an American tech who does lovely work but is telling everyone she mixes Shellac colours all the time and the lasting ability is fab etc etc. WELL ................

CND tell us not to (as tempting as it is) :biggrin: As said above. Each colour is individually formulated and the amount of photo-initiators varies with different colours so if you mix them you throw the chemistry out, and either service breakdown (as you have seen, Anna ... And by the way lovely to see you here after a long absence) or under curing or even over-curing/shock curing, can result.

Doug explained very well in his webinar the other night (which everyone should see and there is a link on my FB page) so those who mix, do so at their own risk.

We can layer, we have additives and we have oodles of choice and options without messing about with the cure time or risking clients service longevity or their well-being ... Not to mention our businesses!!

I've seen this post that you're talking about.. I'm going to check out your link as I missed the webinar

That's heartbreaking ;)
You have no idea how gorgeous the color is that i mixed! Just like Chanel's Black Pearl! It was too good to be true!! < sniff, sniff >
Thank you Geeg for the response!!

Listen ... I hear you and have been sorely tempted myself (on myself) but I actually haven't because I respect my own deductive reasoning and my mentors and I know it's risky. I expect it is a case of sometimes lucky if you happen to choose a couple of colours that are similar in formulation, but we just don't KNOW, so I just wouldn't do it.

Play around with the additives ... Some of our educators have managed to duplicate all sorts of wonderful shades. :hug:

I too had a debate with a US tech about actual mixing. I'm sure some of them think they are told they can't do it just to spite them! X

I too had a debate with a US tech about actual mixing. I'm sure some of them think they are told they can't do it just to spite them! X

CND have nothing to gain by saying we can't mix Shellac colours ... I'm sure they wish we could! If they are saying no, then there is sound reasoning behind it and that is SAFETY. CND as a company is super-safe. If CND ended up being sued by a nail tech who became allergic or a client ends up suing for the same reason and it is proved that the technician was mucking about mixing and goodness knows what else, then suers would not have a leg to stand on. We've all been given all the info we need to be smart in this instance.

But many nail techs experiment in spite of what they have been told ... They think something works so they tell others to do the same and then it starts.
Beware of doing the same thing ... It is not intelligent.

I saw this post on CND Facebook page earlier today but didn't have time to comment, have now! Why oh why do techs think they know better than the scientist! 'Oh we'll it looks ok and it's lasted 2 weeks so it must be ok' ..... sheesh. I did notice a long she had placed to Doug's site that apparently he's says its acceptable to do this?! I can't open that link as I'm on my phone , but I'll be looking it up on the pc later.

Latest posts

Back