Can you put fiberglass/silk under an acrylic application?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugaSweets

Reaction score
I know i may get a lot of lashes for this question but its still i want an answer to :), so can i put fiberglass under an acrylic application if yes how is it done? do i put on the fiberglass with the resin over the nail, primer and then continue with the overlay??

Hi, I daresay you could kick off with fibreglass, continue with l&p and then top the whole lot off with gel if you really wanted to. I'm not quite sure why you'd feel the need to, mind, but good luck with it if you do! :lol:

I have done this to my own nails if i have done a nno and had a split in my nail, it just holds everything together more,
(my nails split half way up the nail bed area when they break)

you do usual prep,
apply your fibreglass as directed
and then apply L&P

i use a primer-less system so cant really advise regarding the primer as i have never needed to use one,
hth

like loubylou says, the only reason i would do this is if the natural nail had split and then it needs some fiberglass for strength then apply acrylic.... you wouldnt offer fiberglass and acrylic nails all in one as a service :( xx

In answer to your question, yes, I believe you can. This works really well if a client has cracked their natural nail. If you lay a strip of material over the cracked area and then lay your l/p over the entire nail it gives some added strength to that area and protection. I'm not sure if that is what you are talking about or not. And I'm not sure that it is necessary to do fiberglass/silk over the entire nail and then do l/p acrylic. Might be a little redundant and costly. HTH!!

i only asked because i remembered having a nail service done and the person did fiberglass and L&P and it seemed like the norm for them......so just seeking the knowledge of other trained techs even if it seemed like a crazy question :)

all crazy questions welcme hun :) x

btw whats a NNO?

Natural Nail Overlay..... do a search hun there is lots of infor hun :) x

btw whats a NNO?

Natural Nail Overlay
it is where no tip is applied, just product applied to the natural nail to add strength or improve appearance, hth (hope that helps)

btw whats a NNO?

It's a layer of acrylic over the natural nail, no tip application or need for a sculpting form, just application straight onto natural nail.

xx

thanks for the clarification.....where im from we dont use abbreviations like that so they had me a bit confused....

The only crazy question is a question not asked!! Hope the information you received was helpful.

Just to clarify about the use of primer.

If you were to do a repair like this using FG and L&P you would NOT use primer. Primer is only for use On the natural nail.

FG under L&P is for repair only and otherwise there would be no need at all to work like this.

the other way to use this technique is by using coloured silk or lace for embedded nail art, it looks fab:green:

I think it’s worth a try to do fiberglass under acrylic, even if you don’t have a split or a crack or a tear in the nail. If your natural nails are thin, flimsy and prone to losing the free edge when you take off your acrylics, then it’s worth it as a nail tech to reinforce the natural nail prior to the acrylic so the natural nail stays healthier after removal.

I think it’s worth a try to do fiberglass under acrylic, even if you don’t have a split or a crack or a tear in the nail. If your natural nails are thin, flimsy and prone to losing the free edge when you take off your acrylics, then it’s worth it as a nail tech to reinforce the natural nail prior to the acrylic so the natural nail stays healthier after removal.

No, that's rubbish, the fibreglass will come off with the acrylic removal. Acrylic is formulated to adhere to the keratin in the native nail, a layer of something between the natural nail and the acrylic will prevent that bond. Even worse idea at the free edge which receives the most impact and is the most vulnerable.

I just want to chime in whole on hearty agreement here. This is exactly what I use silk wraps for on several clients with this exact isdue..only after learning on my own nails (that this was the only thing that worked on my
weak natural nails at all).

Latest posts

Back