Can you recommend a good cuticle oil other than Solar Oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nila

Reaction score
I have been selling Solar oil to my clients as everybody was saying how good it was. I have used it myself but not regularly, just recently started using it properly specially before going to bed but it seems it's not doing anything to my cuticles and they are in their worst condition ever!!! They are dry, hard and embarrasing and I always make an excuse and tell my clients that it's because my hands are always in the water and constantly in contact with harsh chemicals like acetone etc. but I feel like a big liar and lost my confidence for recommending it to people as it seems it's not doing anything to my own nails and cuticles. I like that it's not very oily and doesn't leave greasy residue on my fingers but it feels like rubbing water to my nails!

Can anyone recommend a good cuticle oil that works well and is more oily and makes the skin and cuticles soft, specially for clients who have very hard skin around their nails?? both for myself and retail.
So disappointed of Solar Oil...

Well that's a first. I've never heard anyone being disappointed in Solar Oil. I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

How long do you leave it on your cuticles? Do you only use it once a day?

For clients that have very rough and dry cuticles I always recommend to use 2-3 times a day as just once isn't enough.

I've never had problems with Solar Oil, it's one of the best out there. If you really want to try something else, Nail Harmony's Nourish is great, I like it a lot. I didn't buy it, it just came with my Gelish starter kit but it works well for me.

I haven't used any others, so I can't recommend. Sorry

I feel your right about the wear on your hands. It is from the water. You probably need to be applying three to four times a day. Also, if your not hydrated it will how up on your cuticles and feet. That's my personal experience. I would also warm some olive oil and put your fingers in. I love solar oil, sometimes when I'm really busy, I have to to do extra care. Hope this helps😉

Yes I have very dry hands, rough & overgrown cuticles (if left alone) and I find I see the benefit only after I use it for 2-3 weeks 2-3 times a day. I also find that when I'm doing nails mine dry out more on my dominant working hand so I have to be rigorous with it.

I'd say only using it once at night won't get you the results I'm afraid :(

I can't recommend any others though as I love it. What do your clients say about the product?

My clients say it's good but to be honest nobody said WOW it was brilliant.

I used it 2-3 times a day regularly for more than a month. My husband suggested to stop using it, give it a break and see what happens. Surprisingly since I stopped my cuticles are better! I don't know why, maybe the bad weather and lack of sunshine for the last few months was the reason for my bad cuticles but anyway I want to try another brand to compare.

Any suggestion please?

Maybe add a good hand and nail cream to your routine x

I always use Solar Oil with Cuticle Eraser, as a result my nails and eponychiums have never been in better shape. It is the same concept as with elbows (and dry skin in general) - there is no good in just moisturising them, one needs to exfoliate off the driest cells as well in order to get the best results.

I have been selling Solar oil to my clients as everybody was saying how good it was. I have used it myself but not regularly, just recently started using it properly specially before going to bed but it seems it's not doing anything to my cuticles and they are in their worst condition ever!!! They are dry, hard and embarrasing and I always make an excuse and tell my clients that it's because my hands are always in the water and constantly in contact with harsh chemicals like acetone etc. but I feel like a big liar and lost my confidence for recommending it to people as it seems it's not doing anything to my own nails and cuticles. I like that it's not very oily and doesn't leave greasy residue on my fingers but it feels like rubbing water to my nails!

Can anyone recommend a good cuticle oil that works well and is more oily and makes the skin and cuticles soft, specially for clients who have very hard skin around their nails?? both for myself and retail.
So disappointed of Solar Oil...

i recommend young nails rose oil. thats brilliant.. heres a link. there at the beauty shows too

Rose Cuticle Oil 1/4oz, 1oz and 8oz Refill - Young Nails - Throughout England and the UK

You may have an allergy. Have you been tested for allergies? Could you be allergic to nuts by any chance? Because I sell this by the bucket load and have never heard a single complaint!x

I have to say I love cuticle oil and I shift a tonne of it BUT my Mum has been having Shellac to grow out her bitten nails (its worked fantastically) and she uses it religiously and her cuticles are still hard and dry. They are better than they were as she used to bite them and they were beyond awful but I she has asked whether I would recommend another oil. I find it a bit odd but am going to order in some Rose Oil as Ive read good reviews and see how she gets on, I would like to have a nut free alternative in anyway, just incase.

It is odd though.

Not everything works the same on everyone. If I had to recommend a second choice it would be the 95% organic Dadi Oil available from Louelabelle. You may find it does the trick for you. x Dadi oil is a little heavier in texture but again does need to be used regularly. I hope you like it and it is made by Famous Names Products if you want to google it

I always use Solar Oil with Cuticle Eraser, as a result my nails and eponychiums have never been in better shape. It is the same concept as with elbows (and dry skin in general) - there is no good in just moisturising them, one needs to exfoliate off the driest cells as well in order to get the best results.

I was going to say the same, maybe introduce some Cuticle Eraser or Rejuvenator and use with it first before swapping. You never know, it might be what was missing from your routine.

I would never be without my CE and Solar oil.

I ditto the CE with Solar Oil....but I do also really like OPI's Avoplex. It's a nice rich cuticle oil made with avocado oils. But again, it'll need to be done 2-3 times a day.

Dadi Oil from Famous Names (who do Lumos) has been getting rave reviews.

I have been using Dadi'Oil since it came out and have to say its great and smells amazing, haven't used solar oil so can't compare sorry x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I use solar oil and like it but have tried dadi oil as and I love it!! I love the smell and it absorbs in really well. :lol:

I can also recommend OPI avoplex, I use both that and solar oil. Avoplex is slightly'oilier'.

I used to use Nurture Oil by NSI, which was really lovely.

I now use Solar Oil, but if I couldn't get hold of that I would definitely go back to the Nurture Oil :)

xx

Hello,

I don't find solar oil that amazing to be honest. I love OPIs avoplex which i used every hour for 3 days and my cuticles and nails were amazingly strong and cuticles looked fab. Even using the avoplex oil for a short period 1-3times a day is enough.

But obviously doesn't suit everyone but i'd definately recommend it :)

Solar Oil has been voted the best cuticle oil in the industry so many times that it has led the field for more than 25 years ... And is in the beauty hall of fame as well .... None other is or has even come close, so I think that speaks for itself. Clients know it, love it, trust it and best of all BUY it ... Continuously. :green:

For extreme problems of dehydration use Solar Oil and Cuticle Eraser together.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back