Cancellations through facebook

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murfles

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I am in an extremely bad mood so hopefully I will able able to explain myself clearly.

I opened my business in April. Things have been going well, with a lot of business coming from Facebook. I went away for the weekend and just returned home today, after a 5 hour drive. I have been stressed all day, breaking my neck to get home on time because I had an appointment squeezed in this afternoon. I get home after being away for 4 days, a mountain of washing to do, unpacking, needed a shower and needing to tidy up the house with about an hour and a half to spare before this appointment. I get no help from my partner, he flat out refused to do anything. I get everything ready and set up on my own, I'm ready with 10 mins to spare so I sit down to check my business Facebook. The appointment had sent me a message in my inbox about an hour before, saying "sorry for the short notice but I'm not coming".

I am livid! I have been stressed all day, making sure to get home on time, and all tidied up. I put a fresh face of makeup on, did my hair and got dressed, and all for nothing. I would like to put a status up about any cancellations made though Facebook will incur a cancellation fee in the future, as what if I hadn't checked it until after dinner?

My mother said hold off on the status as it might offend some people but this is the second time I have had a Facebook cancellation, and I don't want it to become a regular thing, as I don't have time to sit on Facebook and check my messages all day.

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do? I haven't responded to her message yet, but I feel like saying to her that I would have appreciated a phone call but at the same time I do want her to rebook :-/

Oh dear, poor you. Your mom was right in advising you to not reply whilst angry and I think your idea of putting up some sort of cancellation rule up is a good one. If you have only been self employed since April it is still early days and I would guess that if you have any terms and conditions they are still evolving? Take a deep breath, get some paper and a pen, write down all the things you don't want customers to do. Leave it for a couple of hours then go back and have a read, add anything else then make up your list of "rules" After all this, then call her or e-mail her ( I wouldn't text, but that's just me)telling her that you are disappointed and that in future you will actually charge a cancellation fee for late cancellations. Then move on.

Add a link to your T&C's on your website and facebook page. If customers dont like it, they would probably have been difficult ones anyway. We want nice, reliable and respectful clients, not users.

Hope you feel happier soon

Oh sweetheart it isn't nice is it. If I were you I'd message her back and say you're sorry you weren't able to see her for the scheduled appointment. Explain that you cannot accept late cancellations as per your (new) cancellation policy and that any future appointments would need to be paid in full if missed but you will let this time go, just this once. Further that if there were any problems in future you would prefer a telephone call as sometimes you are unable to check facebook. Then ask her when she would like to rebook. x

I would definitely put on your status and terms that unfortunately cancelations cannot be made through Facebook it needs to be done in such a way that you don't make the client think its specifically aimed at her though, as your mum is correct. You don't want to lose a client.

It's the same with text messages, do people seriously think we walk found with our mobile stuck to us all day and Facebook on 24/7?

Whereas I think Facebook is a great tool( don't have it anymore tbh) its things like this that put me right off.

Thanks for the replies lovelies, I am feeling a lot better now :)

I do have a cancellation policy on my website and on the back of my treatment menu, but I feel I just need to make it clear no canceling via Facebook - pick up the phone and call, lazy! I still haven't replied to her message, I think I will mull it over for a bit longer and then reply and say something along the lines of "as I have only just read this message, I would appreciate a phone call next time" or something similar.

I am off to review my terms and conditions ready to post them ;-)

I feel your pain, a regular ish client of mine booked a file & paint, a tan and a set of lashes for her wedding all booked for next Thursday back January! She decided in between in this time o try Shellac and I advised against this as her nails were in a poor state but she still wanted to go ahead so I did so. She booked one 2 weeks later and I text a few days before and she said I didnt get on with it so I will have to cancel, slightly irritating but least I knew! Anyway yesterday i decided to text about next week and I got back 'sorry thought I cancelled as I didnt get on with the Shellac so no point!', I was furious she didnt even have a Shellac booked in! I pointed this out and said the treatments she had booked, plus her sister had also booked a tan in and she 'said sorry been so busy with it all I just forgot!' so I then said so you want to cancel all the treatments? And she was like yes I've decided to go without a tan and the lady doing my make up is doing my lashes as part of a package! I was fuming I text back saying 'good thing I checked, hope you have a lovely day'. What I actually wanted to put was 'good thing I checked cos if I had turned up on the day I would have poked you in the eye with my tweezers!':irked:

It made me so mad but there was no point in being unprofessional as much as I would have loved to have been, however next time she wants an appointment I shall be very busy!!! I saved her dog from being run over once too and she didnt even know it had escaped!

Anyway rant over and anything that large booked in advance I will take a deposit for in future!! Its so annoying when they dont realise this is your livliehood and business!

Oh Nat-Nat that is awful! How inconsiderate! I don't understand how people can just shrug it off - when I know I have an appointment, whether it's doctor, dentist, beauty, whatever, I would be mortified if I either forgot to show up, or canceled with like an hours notice. Fair enough if you have a good reason, like an emergency, but my client this afternoon was going on holiday, and "hadn't packed yet". Like seriously? Grrr

I know I dont know whats with some people! Obviously we are more considerate than they are! I had to cancel my lash apointment the other week to attend a funeral and felt terrible!

Hey honey

What about giving your clients a confirmation text 24 hours before your appointment. I know she only cancelled an hour before but in it you could politely remind them of your t&c's and say something about cancellations must be made via text or phone call only.

Just an idea honey. Keep calm, keep smiling, stay on holiday time for the rest of the day and grab a glass of vino and sit in the garden :)

Love n hugs

Ps also politely email the client who cancelled outlining your late fee if you have one. ;)

you could always hook up facebook to your phone so that you always get a text everythime someone messages you etc, thats wat i do it means i dont have to keep checking xx :biggrin:

Remember if people keep an eye on messages they can see when they were read :)

i know i just realised that the other day when i was chatting to a friend, dont know whether thats a good thing or bad thing lol :lol:

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

She did mention she would rebook when she gets back, (whether she does or not may be a different story) but I might not be so accommodating if she does, lol.

I do have Facebook on my phone, but as mentioned earlier, I don't walk around with it glued to my hand either, especially when doing treatments so even if I had been in salon all day, there's no guarantee I would have got it.

I think I'll put a status up tonight, as I've just had another booking for this afternoon changed to Saturday via Facebook message, and if I hadn't checked it, I would have classified her as a no show. Grr how hard is it to pick up the phone?!

If you are going to accept appointments by Facebook then you have to accept that clients will cancel or change them by Facebook.

Ok, you can ask that if it's a short notice cancellation that they call you out of politeness to ensure that you get the message but if that's how you communicate with clients then what do you expect

I agree with what someone else said, unfortunately if you accept bookings via facebook you have to expect cancellations through it. I confirm all my appointments the night before, keeps me right and my clients. Then if any need to cancel they get back to me. Sometimes there are reasons behind last minute cancellations and sometimes not. perhaps add in your T&Cs that late cancellations ought to be made by telephone/text.
But I feel for you, its frustrating!!
I made time whilst I had family staying with me to fit someone in for nails. I sent my children out with their grandparents set up, waited and waited. Eventually I phoned her and asked if she was remembering her nail appointment. She said yeah its at 7pm I said no, you asked for 9.30am. She was apologetic. But I made a policy after that, no charge for cancellations but full charge for no shows. I also added a 3 strikes policy.
1 no show - full price charged
2 no shows - as above plus a deposit to secure any further bookings
3 no shows - removed from my client records.

My husband thinks its a bit harsh, but ive not had any no shows since I published it... xx

I use Facebook, but from my laptop the majority of the time. I've never noticed this, where does it tell you?

I have a website, that generates a few bookings too.

When I say a lot of bookings come from facebook, I mean someone finds me, inboxes for a price list, or any questions, and then if they want to book an appointment, I get them to call me. But unfortunately they also cancel/change via a facebook message instead of a phone call. I will have to retrain them if possible.

Latest posts

Back