Cat owners,please tell me everything

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
~cats are sly and nasty
Cats are not sly and nasty in the slightest, they are playful.. Yes you may get scratched or bitten but its not usually hard and usually if you are playing with them or annoying them (If they are annoyed they will wag their tails at like 500miles an hour lol and/or growl)

~you have ferral cats nearby,they'll kill it
I have had cat's for 23 years and not one of my cats have been killed, it's only Zuki who is an indoor cat and we aren't far from a main road and there is a field behind our house. There have been foxes around here too and never a cat been killed.

~the asthma excema issue
I have asthma and excema and I have no problem with the cats, just dont allow them to sleep on the sufferers pillows. I used to sleep with a cat curled up next to my pillow and had no problem. My mum has asthma and has been told she could be allergic to pet hair and had no problems.

~they are no good to have around new babies
As long as you don't let them sleep in the babies crib, you should be fine. If anything the cat will be scared of the baby at first lol, Zuki my kitten hides under the nesting tables if my sister's friend comes round with her one year old, as Riley likes to pull their tails lol.

~they will ruin your house
They will only ruin your house if you allow them. Our house is fine. As long as you train them right from wrong (using their litter, scratching post etc) whilst they are small you should have no major problems!

~it will take off
They don't take off as long as you dont let them out straight away, ours always come back, get it neutered first before letting it out though, it stops them straying. My cats don't go any further than the avenue where we live, sometimes not even out of our garden
Also you don't HAVE to let them out - Cats can be housecats! - Also you can get a cat microchipped and insured which helps if they do go missing anyway

I think someone is jealous that you're getting a kitten and they aren't :hug:

~cats are sly and nasty Rubbish cats are not sly or nasty, I have only ever encountered 1 nasty cat, and that cat was kicked and hit, you'd be nasty if you were kicked or hit
~you have ferral cats nearby,they'll kill it Again rubbish, there are stray cats round us and Ronnie has had a few fights with them all, but Im sure they wont kill it
~the asthma excema issue Not sure?
~they are no good to have around new babies My little girl was a baby and Ron was about, he paid no attention to her at all

~they will ruin your house He does his business outside, the only thing I find is he leaves his hair on our bed and sofa, but thats nothing a hoover cant fix! And If I ever left food out on the oven, he would be up there like a shot, so footprints all over the work top, but that is what anti bac spray is for
~it will take off Ronnie has gone missing twice before, the longest time was 10 days, he threw a strop when we got back from holiday, then again for 5 days, he got trapped in a neighbours shed
hth's xxx

~cats are sly and nasty - cats, like anything else, have personalties, and they are all different. However, if you give them plenty of your time when they enter your home they soon settle. I have one fuss pot, and one who is less affectionate, however, her nasty side only comes out when you are doing something she doesn't like. If you get to know their personality, you get to know when they want leaving alone, cuddling, playing with.
~you have ferral cats nearby,they'll kill it - cats are pretty smart, they know what's dangerous. Any home has risks from busy roads, gangs of kids etc. Depending on where you get your cat, people like the RSPCA and Cats Protection League will come out and inspect your home before you adopt, to make sure it is suitable and safe for the cat you want.
~the asthma excema issue - best to consult your GP on this one.
~they are no good to have around new babies - I don't have children, so I wouldn't like to comment on this one.
~they will ruin your house - only if you fail to discipline them.
~it will take off - cats know what side their bread is buttered, they know that home is warm and safe with plenty of food. They might pay your neighbours a few visits for extras, but they are unlikely to pack their suitcase for good.

You really are being responsible by making sure you know what you are taking on. The positive thing is that cats of very independent and far less time consuming than a lot of other pets. If in doubt, people like the Cats Protection League are great for advice.

Thanks girls xx

Do you think most peeps are either cat or dog lovers so have a slight adversity to the other iykwim,and this is where the comments come from ?

well we had loads of cats when i was younger and they are lovely creatures , i am after another one actually , lol just gotta talk dave into it haha

Thanks girls xx

Do you think most peeps are either cat or dog lovers so have a slight adversity to the other iykwim,and this is where the comments come from ?

Yes, I think so. I have always had cats, and used to have a dog but most people like either cats OR dogs. I dont like dogs, I used to like MY dog, but hate any other dog and dont ever want another dog. But I know people who have dogs, and hate cats. Usually comments like what you recieved are due to jealousy or personal preference

Thanks ladies,i do feel like i am having to justify myself and give answers to these stupid comments ! xxx

Thanks ladies,i do feel like i am having to justify myself and give answers to these stupid comments ! xxx

Becki,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are an adult right ? You have your own place right ? You might possibly be married with kids ?

It's your life !! If you want a cat and the people in your household are happy with it (hubby, kids etc), then why listen to other people ?

Cats are wonderful creatures, like I said, I've got 3 and have had them form almost 10 years now. They have never damaged my house and never will.

They use their litter tray or go outside to do their business. I can't imagine life without them.

They are very independent creatures, but won't run off unless they have a very good reason. For as much as they are independent, they also love company. And WHY exactly would they want to leave the comfort of a warm house and a regular supply of food and fuss ? :wink2:

You are doing the right thing asking questions about something that you don't know much about, but trust me, once you have your small bundle of fluffy joy, all your worries will dissapear :)

Just to add to what someone else said about lillies, poinsettia plants are also poisonous to cats. I've always known about lillies, but never about poinsettia until my vet told me two years ago :eek:

Have fun and when you get your little kitten, POST SOME PICS !!!

Marlise

Marlise,i totally agree,yes i am a mother and wife,and yes i am furious that people think they can impose their veiws on me and expect me to do as i am told :grr:

I have rung the RSPCA who said,the ferral cats will leave it alone,it will be more than happy to not go outside,if disaplined from a kitten the house and toilett issues will not be a problem,the allergies will only become apparant after a day or so and the owners are willing to take it back within 24 hours if any health issues occur,the myth about cats smelling milk and causing sufforcation is an old wives tale,cats are intellegent and misunderstood and are not sly or dangerous,if a cat scrathces do not move away or it will think you are playing.

I do not have to justify myself,but i will,that'll shut em up :D

I have rung the RSPCA who said,the ferral cats will leave it alone (Yes, was quite shocked to read that. WHO told you that :!::!:)

it will be more than happy to not go outside (There are a lot of house cats, but my personal view is, that if you have outside space and it's safe for your cat to go out, let them out. They love it so much !)

if disaplined from a kitten the house and toilett issues will not be a problem (Totally correct. Cats learn really quickly and it shouldn't be a problem)

the allergies will only become apparant after a day or so and the owners are willing to take it back within 24 hours if any health issues occur (some people are allergic to dog or cat hair. My partner is allergic to long cat hair, but short hair is fine :eek:. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do it about, except take antihistamine, but if you were allergic, you would know by now !)

the myth about cats smelling milk (???) and causing sufforcation is an old wives tale (Complete and utter rubbish. It really peeves me when I hear people say this. Complete nonsense. I wonder how my daughter and thousands of other babies with cats in the house survive ?? If anything, the cats try to avoid them LOL)

If a cat scrathces do not move away or it will think you are playing (It depends what you want the outcome to be :lol:. Kittens will want to play, that's how they learn to hunt etc. It's natural behaviour for them. You will find your kitten pouncing on you, chasing you, trying to bite you in a playful manner, going really low to the ground and wiggling it's bum and generally playing with you. THIS IS NORMAL and shouldn't be discouraged, unless they start climbing the curtains for fun :lol:. They never bite to hurt unless you've provoked them, it's normally just a gentle nip and if they are irritated with you, they might do the same. It's their way of letting you know enough is enough :lol:)

Just enjoy your new addition and tell us all about it :hug:

Marlise

If a cat scrathces do not move away or it will think you are playing (It depends what you want the outcome to be :lol:. Kittens will want to play, that's how they learn to hunt etc. It's natural behaviour for them. You will find your kitten pouncing on you, chasing you, trying to bite you in a playful manner, going really low to the ground and wiggling it's bum and generally playing with you. THIS IS NORMAL and shouldn't be discouraged, unless they start climbing the curtains for fun :lol:. They never bite to hurt unless you've provoked them, it's normally just a gentle nip and if they are irritated with you, they might do the same. It's their way of letting you know enough is enough :lol:)

Marlise

In all these years Timmy has never gone for me in anger. He's caught me with his claws when we've been playing but that's all. I kinda agree with the not moving your hand though coz that's how he got me. We were playing and he put his paw on me and I jumped back so what would have been a set of pin pricks turned into long red scratches. He nips my hubby when he gets ignored but it makes him jump rather than hurt, he's never broken the skin.
As far as being around kids Timmy runs a mile from my 3yr old niece. She just grabs at him and wants to love him and pet him (can't remember the characters name that says that but think it's looney toons).
Who cares what other people think anyway. It's you that has to live with it not them. If you want a kitten go for it xxx

I had never had cats until I bought my first house 8 years ago. I got two from a rescue centre (brothers) and they have been excellent. They were 1 when I got them and still playful but were not snipped like I had been told they had and yes when they mark their territory good luck ridding the house of the smell! I was new to it so didnt understand why they did it, until the vet mentioned they hadnt been done. They scratch my bottom step and one of them wees on things when I move house out of stress but they are very loving. They look after themselves and I go away for weekends and leave them alone. I just leave loads of food and water for them!

I have had a few kittens. the first was brill. He naturally knew how to be litter trained and apart from hogging the hot spots he was a good kitten until at 6 months old he got run over! Gutted!

The second kitten was female and she constantly attacked me and the cats. I had to get rid of her in the end!

So my 3rd I got a 2 year old cat! Shes female but I find my males more loving.

I would never get a kitten again. They are cute but vulnerable! And you never quite know if ots going to be pyshco kitty! I gave my white kitten to my mate and despite being snipped and now a year old shes still a mental case! Maybe that was just bad luck haha!

Whatever you decide, cats are loyal and loving and I would never hesitate again! Cat or Kitten enjoy them and learn as you go along. Like others have said they look after themselves, and as long as they have food and water and love they will be just fine!

One other thing to consider, if you are out a lot it may be fair to get 2 so they have company. They do like solitude as well but I always find mine cuddled up together on a cold night!

Latest posts

Back