Cats and Dogs - Do they get on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya
My dog gets on with everything
we have 3 bunnies and they share his bed in a sunny day in the garden

nxt doors guinea pigs (hes in love with them):hug:

Jenx

2-) Next, declaw the cat. PLEASE.

In the UK De-clawing a cat is illegal and regarded as animal abuse, unless it is for a medical reason. When this procedure is carried out, not only is the claw removed but also part of the bone in each toe which is similar to amputating a person's finger at the last knuckle, leaving a stump............ nice!

Here's a link.......

Declaw Truths

A cat should NEVER be de-clawed if is it ever to be allowed out. A cat's claws are vital for it to defend itself should the need arise when it is outside, and also to help it escape should it be threatened - a cat with no claws will never be able to climb a tree/wall in order to escape harm.

Like Sean said, we've had cats and dogs for years and never had any problems and the first dog my cats had to get used to was a fully grown German Shepherd! Since then they've had to put up with a bouncing Bearded Collie, a Staffy that would lick them to death given the chance and a Wolfhound the size of a pony that sits on them occasionally by accident. One of the cats, Nimbus, will have a sneaky swipe at Jake (Wolfhound) but there's no real malice in it, just a warning, the other cat Cirrus is much more laid back and the only thing I've seen her do is grab Holly (Staffy) by the nose with both paws (without hurting her) and then chew on her nose!

Take it slowly and let them figure each other out but be around to make sure your cat doesn't feel too threatened in the early days, fingers crossed all will be fine.

Good luck.
Jackie

In the UK De-clawing a cat is illegal and regarded as animal abuse, unless it is for a medical reason.
Thank Goodness! Here in the US people do that to their pets more often then not. I have 3 cats at various ages and all of them were the "Soft Paws" rubber tips which I put on them myself. They come in GREAT colors! We had our dog first and then came the kitties and they all get along GREAT! I even allow my granddaughter to bring her kitten over when she stays of the weekend because I think it's a good idea to let all animals get accustomed to everything they may ever encounter.
I do have to say this, and in BOLD If you get an older dog or a large puppy PLEASE do not let it out of your sight with the kitties around for at least a week. My sister did that and it cost her $3,000. to have her cat repaired at the vet from 5 seconds of not being careful.:cry: And if, even 1 time the dog/pup is aggressive towards the kitties be aware it could happen again when you are not observing and could be disastrous. Even if the pup/dog is NOT aggressive DO keep it on a leash while in the presence of the kitties.

WOW :eek: I didn't know that it was illegal in the UK.

Here, it's very common. Just about everyone does it. But only with indoor cats. None of my cats ever had misshapen paws. They all looked fine. Perhaps procedures differ region to region? Just as many other things differ?

One of them was only declawed later in life as he was beating the living daylights out of the two puppies. I couldn't lock them up in cages all day while I was at work. So, they were in the kitchen, with a babygate up.
There was no reason for the cat to go in there, unless to tease them.
And tease them he did, I'd come home to puppies with bloody noses:| and etc. They were terrified of him.

Another right off the bat as I had a 8mth old baby with avid curiousity. I'd rather not take the chance with my kids.

My mom never declawed her cats - but they were outdoor cats.
And, two of our dogs suffered for it, poor beasts.

I'm sorry for any offense I made. I did not realize it was illegal in the UK.
But, you'll note I also made mention of those rubber claw covers. They're not popular over here, and not readily available. I've only ever known of one place to sell them, and they stopped.
I think had they been more readily available, I likely would have chosen that route instead.

Anyhow, sorry again.
I didn't mean to upset anyone.
:o

Anyhow, sorry again.
I didn't mean to upset anyone.
:o

No offense taken here, didn't mean to sound as if I had the hump! *L* Just thought I'd better point out that it was illegal/frowned upon in the UK.

Re the removal, I don't think you can actually see the missing joint, but it does have to be amputated in order for the process to be successful.

I think those little rubber covers sound good though, would be a much better way of protecting a dog's eyes.

:hug:
Jackie
x

Latest posts

Back